Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I peeked under my new MDX today, and was somewhat shocked that the majority of the underside had no undercoating. As I live in Massachusetts where they throw tons of sand and salt on the roads I am thinking of going to Ziebart and have it fully undercoated.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on the Acura web-site that undercoating is not recommeneded

Does anyone know any more than me on this subject ?

How many out there have undercoated their MDXs ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Undercoat Response

Wow, I though Rusty Jones and Ziebart went out of business years ago?

When I was a kid growing up in Connecticut, my Dad had two of his cars "Ziebarted". Had his '76 Malibu and '88 Colt done. Both cars seemed to have been protected as they never had any rust develop on them. Would've been interesting to see if it could've saved my Mom's '73 Vega! I remember the fenders rotting off...

Yeah, I noticed the lack of undercoating and I would say that in a state that uses sand and salt that it couldn't hurt. A side benefit would be a reduction in road noise but it's not really an issue, at least on my MDX.

Let me know what your going to do. I remember that holes were drilled in the rocker panels and they were filled with plugs that had the Ziebart logo on them (I think it was a Knight in armor?).

Have you considered just buying some cans of undercoating and doing it yourself?

Either way you go, I would say that the sooner, the better before things become dirty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
DON'T do it

Ziebart and other similar undercoating is ok during the first year or two, but sooner or later the "tar crap" they spray underneath gets hard and actually holds moisture against the undercarriage longer than if there was nothing there in the first place. I "Ziebarted" a truck several years ago and I wished I never did.

Modern cars, SUV's and trucks have a lot of plastic undernearth these days, so undercoating is not necessary. As long as you make sure you spray underneath in the winter when there is a lot of salt on the roads, your MDX will look great underneath for several years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Funny...

My dealer offered to undercoat my MDX during their closing add-on sales pitch. It wasn't Ziebart, it was some product I had never heard of. He wanted some outlandish price, so of course I passed.

So if undercoating is not recommended for the 'X, I guess my dealer really hated me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Many of these products are offered by the dealers and they are money makers for the dealer. Paint sealant, fabric protection and undercoat. Undercoat is not so much for rust protection as most manufactuters have done a pretty good job of producing metals that will last years longer, the purpose of the undercoat today is pretty much for sound deadening and it does makes some difference, and there are some good commercial non-petroleum based products today that will never completely harden. The question is, what do you have to pay for the product? The stuff in the cans I don't know much about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just sent in my deposit after meeting Dave at Zimbrick Acura (Middleton, WI) on Fri. He gave me a brochure on some kind of undercoating/clearcoat/upholstery. I guess I have some time to think about it. No one seems to be admitting to being taken on this...

·
Registered
74 Posts
More Input on Undercoating?

Got my X yesterday and have the same exact concerns as SARS did in December.

Does anyone have any more information about the undercarriage and undercoating?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts