Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my 2010 MDX with Technology package vehicle with something newer. I am considering a 2016 CPO, but if there are good reasons (as far as features or mechanically) to buy a newer model like the 2017 or 2018, would go that route. Any advice for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The transmission in the 2017+ seems to be an overall better implementation than 2016. For that reason I’d stick with 2017+.

2018 would get you the updated infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. If you want “new” then get 2018.

If you want “used” then grab a nice 2017 CPO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
AFAIK, the only difference between the 2016 and 2017 is the revised transmission warmer and transmission programming. If you're affected by the warmer issue, you have a 10 year warranty on it and the programming is a simple TSB that can be done at any dealer.

That said, the 2017 has some body and exterior trim changes as well. We park on the street in a dense city, so the additional 3" of length of the 2017 was a disadvantage to me, but admittedly, this is an edge case.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Depends if you need the extra space and/or towing of the MDX or if the all new 19 RDX is also a choice.

I willing to wait for the next gen MDX to see if Acura gets back to its sporty roots. You will still have the 16-18 MDX to pick from if the all new MDX doesn't meet your needs. I would might even add the +17 MDX sh-sh-awd in the mix if you want something sporty and excellent mpgs.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Do you happen to know if the interior infotainment could be updated with the 2019 ? Like the RDX ?
It's possible.... But unlikely. I would put my bet on nothing significant changing before the re-design in 2020/2021.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2015 to avoid the 9-speed and the laggy glitchy shifter buttons that i would genuinely deem dangerous since it will often not go into park the first time you press P

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
...laggy glitchy shifter buttons that i would genuinely deem dangerous since it will often not go into park the first time you press P
I have never once seen any delay or mis-engagement of my electronic "shifter buttons". Please share any evidence to back up that claim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have never once seen any delay or mis-engagement of my electronic "shifter buttons". Please share any evidence to back up that claim.
well maybe for 2017 they updated the software but i SWEAR i've come to a stop, pressed P, taken my foot off the brake and prepared to get out only to be startled by the car still moving forward. you can take my word or i'll try to take a video the next time i can drive it if that so pleases the court.

·
Registered
80 Posts
well maybe for 2017 they updated the software but i SWEAR i've come to a stop, pressed P, taken my foot off the brake and prepared to get out only to be startled by the car still moving forward. you can take my word or i'll try to take a video the next time i can drive it if that so pleases the court.
I experience this sometimes in my 2016. Now, it never happens when I fully depress the button. I mean, with authority, like I'm pressing the missile launch button on a fighter jet. During quick three-point turns, I often find Reverse doesn't switch back to Drive and I have to press the D button again. Don't think I've ever noticed it with Park, though.

Unequivocally, the button shift arrangement is not a good example of user interface design. I'm not saying this because I'm used to a lever, but because, as a replacement for a lever, the button bank is an adequate, not a superior alternative. When UX designers make this drastic of a change, it should have been superior to what it replaces.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
My theory is I think the push button drive systems are getting us ready for driverless cars down the road. Mechanical gear shifts can be harder to engage once we have driverless as an option 5-10 years down the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I experience this sometimes in my 2016. Now, it never happens when I fully depress the button. I mean, with authority, like I'm pressing the missile launch button on a fighter jet. During quick three-point turns, I often find Reverse doesn't switch back to Drive and I have to press the D button again. Don't think I've ever noticed it with Park, though.

Unequivocally, the button shift arrangement is not a good example of user interface design. I'm not saying this because I'm used to a lever, but because, as a replacement for a lever, the button bank is an adequate, not a superior alternative. When UX designers make this drastic of a change, it should have been superior to what it replaces.
i've had that happen too, but the park not engaging happens more frequently. i'd almost be ok with the buttons if they kept the same 6-speed because the buttons do enable things like allowing park to automatically be engaged from things like opening the door, but come on how hard is it to just move a lever up 4 inches, plus you always know exactly where the lever is.

but the 9-speed changes a vehicle that i used to describe the best driving 7 seater on sale, to nothing more than the glorified honda pilot it really is. with the 6-speed you could actually make good use of the paddles and the very nicely calibrated manual mode that actually acted more or less like a proper manual (no auto downshifting or upshifting), and you were never more than a quick 1-2 on the left paddle before you were in a good gear for acceleration. 6th gear on the highway, boom boom, 4th gear and off you go. with the 9-speed you have to pull the paddle like 4 or 5 times before you're in a good gear to pass somebody. the 9-speed will also upshift automatically in manual mode which can be irritating when you're trying to be immature.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you put the transmission into sequential mode (if in drive, press D/S button, again) and then use the paddle shifters it should hold the gear you select.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My theory is I think the push button drive systems are getting us ready for driverless cars down the road. Mechanical gear shifts can be harder to engage once we have driverless as an option 5-10 years down the road.
this may or may not be true, but when i was at the dealer for the first oil change (which wasn't even complimentary on a $55,000+ "luxury" vehicle) but i overheard someone else complaining to a service writer about the buttons, and they were told by the employee that one of the reasons for the change was that so women would have more room for their purses and not snag the straps on the shift lever. that was ACTUALLY what he said.

damn shame if you ask me, a once very well built, capable, luxury SUV has become nothing more than an over-hyped, flimsy, technologically behind, hearse inspired gimcrack that catches fire when parked, has way too many gears, the offroading capability of a kia sorento, and is predominantly used by housewives to rush to the market and buy milk because the forecast calls for light flurries in two days.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
damn shame if you ask me, a once very well built, capable, luxury SUV has become nothing more than an over-hyped, flimsy, technologically behind, hearse inspired gimcrack that catches fire when parked, has way too many gears, the offroading capability of a kia sorento, and is predominantly used by housewives to rush to the market and buy milk because the forecast calls for light flurries in two days.
You realize you just described every Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Lexus SUV, too, right? Except you can scratch the "well built" descriptor from most of those, save the Lexus.

Since you seem to hate Acura, so much... Why did you buy one? Why do you still drive/own one? Why are you here?

Reactions: ConnorTX

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you put the transmission into sequential mode (if in drive, press D/S button, again) and then use the paddle shifters it should hold the gear you select.
yes but only up to a point, and then it will upshift. like at redline lol...

·
Registered
57 Posts
You realize you just described every Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Lexus SUV, too, right? Except you can scratch the "well built" descriptor from most of those, save the Lexus.

Since you seem to hate Acura, so much... Why did you buy one? Why do you still drive/own one? Why are you here?
the MDX is my mom's car, and i'm here because i LOVE honda/acura and it saddens me to see the direction the MDX has taken. a car which, once again, i have described as the BEST DRIVING 7 seater.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
the MDX is my mom's car, and i'm here because i LOVE honda/acura and it saddens me to see the direction the MDX has taken. a car which, once again, i have described as the BEST DRIVING 7 seater.
Have you told your mom what you think of her car? Does she complain about the number of gears or the off roading capability?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.