Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2017 MDX SH-AWD Tech this week but I am wondering if I should get the 2018 instead because of carPlay. The dealers in the DC area have good incentives on the 2017s. A bit undecided at the moment and would love to hear your thoughts. Is carPlay worth it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
If u travel a lot only then go for CarPlay... no fun in commute travels only...Bluetooth works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was in the same quandary, but decided to go for the '17 because it let me more easily afford an MDX with the end-of-year deals. I drove a Pilot with CarPlay, largely to act as a NAV replacement if I went for something cheaper than a NAV-equipped Pilot or MDX. It was OK with the maps app, although where I live there's a lot of loss of cellular signal, which would lead to nav issues. Otherwise, I use the integrated phonebook and bluetooth connectivity for music thru my iPhone. So if you get a Nav-based MDX, you're not leaving a lot on the table without the CarPlay. Just my $.02....

andy

·
Registered
57 Posts
you should get the 2015

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Is carPlay worth it?
It depends on what the definition of 'it' is. If it's an extra $50 then I think it might be worth it. If it's an extra $1000 it's definitely not worth it IMO. You need to look at the whole picture here to get to the bottom line to figure out that 'it' - which will include discounts that might be available on one versus the other, prices increases, some immediate depreciation due to the 2017 being a model year older than the 2017, new features/functions that might be in a 2018 that aren't in a 2017, etc.

I think people make too big of a deal about the nuances of the infotainment systems. The main thing with the MDX is that it's a great handling, accelerating, right sized, nice 7 seat SUV. The infotainment is decent enough although it could stand improvement and it appears that it improved for the 2018 but that's worth only so much extra cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not disagree with the comments above and am leaning towards a purchase of the 2017 soon, but one thing I am considering between the 2017 and 2018...

If the 2018 is enabled with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, then wouldn't the 2018 also be able to be updated going forward? Meaning like a computer updating the OS, the 2018 might have some ability to take new advancements via upgrades, whereas it sounds like the 2017 will not be able to be updated at all/ever.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think people really consider the price difference between '17 - '18 as real money. Hypothetically, would you walk into Best Buy and spend the difference in cash to get your phone more integrated to your car? I'm sure the difference is well over a $1,000. If you don't genuinely need a car right this minute and CP/AA is the be-all end-all of your driving experience, then I think you might consider waiting for 6-9 months until incentives start showing up on the '18. Otherwise consider yourself lucky that you still have the option to save real cash on a new '17.

Edit: By the way, Honda/Acura (and most other mfgs) have not typically upgraded existing Infotainment with new features (though they will sometimes update to fix glitches), so I wouldn't count on that. As evidenced in this and similar threads, buyers will spend huge sums of money to buy a newer model with more features, so upgrading existing infotainment sort of kills future sales.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I would go for the model year that best supports your lifestyle with the best flexibility and options. I put around +30,000 miles per year between both of our vehicles and I like having entertainment options with that much time behind the wheel (or passenger side). Smartphone integration sounds like it will be a standard option from now on for new vehicles and you might as well join the club.

You can always wait for future aftermarket offerings down the road if you go for the 17 model? I did this with my 06 TSX with ipod/iphone USASpec. The stupid iphones changed from 30 pin connectors, had to use one of my XM channels to play my iPhone, no streaming bluetooth capabilities, and I still had to touch the phone for a lot of functions. The USASpec unit stopped working a few years later.

The Acura integrated apple play design might cost more; but, it could last longer since it is expected to last the life of the vehicle (+10 years) and covered by the basic or Acura Care extended warranties.

·
Registered
869 Posts
On possible future software upgrades adding new capabilities after purchase, Honda/Acura has no history of that aside from bug fixes. It has been suggested that Apple publishes minimum hardware requirements to support CarPlay and previous iterations of the Acura infotainment system didn't meet them. CarPlay/AA didn't exist when that stuff was designed. It has also been suggested that the current interface of the Acura infotainment system isn't ideal for CarPlay because of the quirky mix of two screens, only one of which is touch-screen. And some parts of that touch-screen are reserved for vehicle functions. Smartphones and tablets have one high-resolution and highly-responsive touchscreen. I fully understand the desire to use a navigation system other than the Acura/Alpine abomination, but I'm not convinced CarPlay on 2018 MDX is a mature solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At this moment, you probably can get 2k off 18 model VS 6~7k off 17 model. Does apply carplay worth 4~5K to you?

It should be simple answer, unless money is not a concern at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I faced a similar dilemma and opted for the discount on the 2017. I got a Navtool + front camera installed for $575. That makes up for the lack of Android Auto and Airplay. From the looks of it, that functionality is not on touchscreen anyways and so not that much different than using a phone. Right now, I have my phone mounted horizontally on my vent for easy access for voice/flipping through screens, and the screen mirrored is for navigation.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
wouldn't the 2018 also be able to be updated going forward? Meaning like a computer updating the OS, the 2018 might have some ability to take new advancements via upgrades, whereas it sounds like the 2017 will not be able to be updated at all/ever.
The 2018 itself will likely not be updated going forward but the phone will be. The 2017 will likely not be updated going forward based on the history of Acura not offering enhancements (but does sometimes offer bug fixes - there's a difference between a bug and an enhancement), however, the phone itself can be updated so the function the phone provides to the CP/AA will be updated. Example - right now Acura offers yearly map updates for about $150 ($99 on 'special'), which of course is ridiculous and I don't buy them, but the maps function in the phone can be updated frequently at no additional cost. Bear in mind that even though I don't get the map updates for my 4 y/o 2014 MDX, 99% of the places I go are in the maps, although it still routes in a goofy way frequently.

Also keep in mind that apparently not all functions on the phone are mirrored on the CP/AA interface, it's just a subset, but I don't know which functions are supported in the Acura system.

I haven't used CP/AA so I'm not expert on it - just going from what I've read, and from that I'd consider the CP/AA implementation to be better than the standard one that doesn't include them but the enhancement only adds a certain amount of useful functionality and that's worth only so much money. I'm glad Acura did it, it's about time, but it's not worth losing our financial heads over.

I put around +30,000 miles per year between both of our vehicles and I like having entertainment options with that much time behind the wheel (or passenger side). Smartphone integration sounds like it will be a standard option from now on for new vehicles and you might as well join the club.
I use my iphone in an integrated way almost every time I drive my 2014 MDX. I use it to stream audio and rarely listen to the radio anymore and never listen to XM, which I think is a ripoff with limited options and an ugly shark fin antenna. The iphone lets me listen to almost anything - Accuradio, Pandora, Aha, iHeart, and anything else the phone's capable of streaming. This really opens up options. The point is that although it's not as fully integrated as CP/AA (which really is only a partial implementation), the streaming capability that already exists makes for the majority of my use cases for the phone integration - I'm only missing the Nav integration, which has less value to me than the streaming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I faced a similar dilemma and opted for the discount on the 2017. I got a Navtool + front camera installed for $575. That makes up for the lack of Android Auto and Airplay. From the looks of it, that functionality is not on touchscreen anyways and so not that much different than using a phone. Right now, I have my phone mounted horizontally on my vent for easy access for voice/flipping through screens, and the screen mirrored is for navigation.
Can you please give me details on how you did this? I'm interested to know. Was it offered by Acura dealership or third party?

As for the OP, I was in the same dilemma as you were and pulled the trigger on 2017 MDX since I was able to get 6K off on tech package. Apple car play sounded enticing to me... but the dealers here in Bay area outright rejected any notions of discounts on new model. Is 6K worth for apple/android feature in my infotainment? Atleast for me yes. I have the NAV, so i won't miss much. You only have access to limited apps such as call, maps and streaming radio.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Go for 2018, the infotainment responses faster. You will be pissed off by how slow the 2017 infotainment is
A very slight difference in delays in using the infotainment isn't worth thousands of dollars in price difference to most people. These things need to be quantified - it'd be silly to spend thousands of dollars extra on such a trivial item.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If the OP can wait, might as wait until the 18 drops to the equivalent levels to get the extra benefits of a later model year + better infotainment. I think back and realize that I didn't need the MDX at all in 2015. I probably could have waited until next year to buy an 18 but oh well, it is what it is. So really think about if you REALLY need the MDX now, or can wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks All, I bought a 2017 AWD w/ Advance pkg last week. @neoshi, I was trying to figure out if I could wait until next year but wasn't sure if my old toyota would give up on me...may be it would not have...too late I guess :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks All, I bought a 2017 AWD w/ Advance pkg last week. @neoshi, I was trying to figure out if I could wait until next year but wasn't sure if my old toyota would give up on me...may be it would not have...too late I guess :)
Haha totally understand. I bought the mdx thinking my Subaru issues were mounting but then the car stopped giving me issues so i still drive it lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts