Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Almost Didn't, Glad We Did

I almost was a "shoulda" but got lucky and bought Nav [can't claim brains, just reading this site].

If money is an issue, I'd drop Touring and get Nav!!

Some people have named their MDXs, we have not. We HAVE NAMED the Navi [Halley for anyone who cares]. Bought the MDX for more than transportation and Halley certainly adds to the experience. Heck, she is an angel that looks after us, scolds us when we don't listen, even told me to make a U-Turn the other day!! She should have told me "you dumb xxxxxx, why aren't you listening to me", instead she was sweet, caring, etc. Probably the most understanding woman I have ever met in my whole life [except my wife in case she reads this].

Now, if we could implant Halley's attitude into the Acura service departments, that would be worth another extra $2K!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Acura's Nav is why I bought the MDX

DEFINITELY GET NAVIGATION!

I tested the navigation systems in several other SUVs (Lexus, Infinity, BMW, etc.). And, Acura has *by far* the best navigation system. I don't know how I would get anywhere without the trusty nav system... I have it in my Acura CL Type S, and I have an MDX on order with touring & nav.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dale B,

You are winning the posts fight.

NAVI RULES

·
Registered
29 Posts
Y'all are making me feel cheap for not ordering Nav. Plus reading all the posts on this great site is causing great anticipation as I wait impatiently "X." Ordered 2/8, to be built about 3/25. Delivery by 4/7???

Is GPS for a laptop an alternative to nav. Only cost around $100. Setting aside convenience, do they work accurately??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get NAV?

I've had my MDX for 2 weeks and think the NAV is the best thing about the vehicle. I was told that you can't change your mind later and get it after you receive the car. I have a problem with the Touring Package. For $2600 do any of you realize what you are actually paying for? In my mind it is just the upgraded Stereo, and I don't mind putting one disc in at a time, and if I want better speakers, that isn't costly. Who really needs a $110 roof rack? Different tires and wheels - big deal. A mirror that moves down when you back up - wow? Passenger seat automatic instead of manual - that's really important? If you placed a realistic value on what you get for Touring Package, I would say it is worth about $800 max.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have only had my MDX for a week but I think the Nav is one of the nicest features. It is well thought out and accurate.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I wonder if those who opted out of the Navi got a good demo at their dealer? I got a demo that underscored everything you folks said. Once I saw it I knew that was a 'toy' I wanted!
My wife would be a passenger mostly in the X, so that seat does not require frequent adjustments, Bose never has impressed me, and I have a $300 (installed) Pioneer 12 disc changer under the passenger seat of our present minivan that sounds excellent even playing through FM, have had 2 cars with lots of cargo room so never needed the roof racks they came with (and can always add one later myself), and considering a back up warning system (self-install), so much for the 'dipping mirror' , and as primary driver, the memory seating is wasted on me.
Half the $2600 will buy me nice side steps, rear mud flaps, BSM, cargo net, and upgraded HD mats for the seating and cargo areas. The other half will help pay for nice vacation down the California coast. oh, sorry, Marne, and a visit to a members vineyard in Sonoma.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DaleB ... Good that you got the Nav, now you'll be able to find the Marne. And if the vinyard is good, may even be critical to your return after the visit ... hmmm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree with huckfeen on touring. Get extras from Tim and save more than a few bucks. I'm not getting Nav. either but after reading these posts feel may have been a mistake. But then I don't travel much.

Does GPS for laptop make any sense? For example, am making a round trip from AR through NC and into VA. May be nice to have then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does GPS for laptop make any sense? For example, am making a round trip from AR through NC and into VA.
If you have a laptop already then it makes a cheap alternative to an aftermarket nav system but there are too many downsides: Nowhere safe to place it. If you place it on the passengers seat then you get all sorts of reflections - especially if the passenger is holding it and he/she is wearing a white shirt! The screen is nowhere near as bright as the Honda/Acura nav screen. Not easy/safe to make changes while driving. And you have to buy a car adaptor so the battery doesn't fail you. And most importantly, if you have to brake suddenly, you might find your expensive laptop to be in a few more pieces than when you started out.

A better solution would be a PDA. The IPAQ has a very bright, clear display and there are a few nav s/w packages to choose from. Plus you can get relatively cheap cradles to mount the thing safely. Of course, there are still too many compromises compared to the factory nav or the aftermarket versions but if you think you'll only use it occasionally then why bother spending lots of money.

We've had the nav system in our Odyssey for the last two years and can't do without it so we ordered the mdx with nav too. As someone else said, NAV RULES!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It's one of those things that you don't realize you need it until you actually own one. I don't think I'll ever buy a car again without one. It's kind of like the Internet. You thought you could just look up the yellow pages, get a whole set of "Britannica's Encyclopedia", go to the mall, or just go to the library, but when you see the resourceful of the Internet, you will NEVER go back to those days without it...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
fancourt said:
. I'm not getting Nav. either but after reading these posts feel may have been a mistake. But then I don't travel much.
I originally thought the same thing, and in a more rural area that may make some sense .
But living in a metropolitan area for over 20 years, there are still numerous streets I can not find, end up in areas where I need to find an ATM, gas station, restaurant or the rest room!! (and remember, any KIND of restaurant), post office, and the list goes on to include golf courses, every kind of store you could imagine, Heck, you probably don't need to use the yellow pages anymore.
And if you need to find any of these places at night....! I haven't even mentioned street addresses!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Well, I need to rethink the Nav. But I have already been waiting for my "X" since ordering 2/8 (build date is 3/25) and won't take delivery until early April.

I live in the city made "infamous" by our immediate past president. There are parts of this city I don't go at 2:00 in the afternoon. Nav or no nav fogeddabout night!

I'm liking the PDA idea but don't have one---yet. Hmmmm. :p

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
NAV is Big Decision Item

Unlike other options, the NAV is one that really can't be retrofitted [cost is too prohibitive as I understand it]. Too bad, because Acura could have prewired the thing for those who decided later .......

I don't see how any other solution [other than factory NAV] could offer the "functionality" = ease of use, non-obtrusive, etc. Addtionally, I understand that the system is more than GPS, I think it works with "other stuff" [guess speedo and/or ???] which you can't do with laptop, etc. [don't ask me the net effect, but I am sure someone knows].

Neat benefit: Our MDX decided it wanted to visit an Acura Svc Dept some 100 miles from home [those dash yellow lights suggested NOW]. Simply selected "dealers" and it took us to the closest dealer!! Not sure that this is great advertising, but Acura did include all [most?] dealers built in!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Nav definitely looks at your current (or average) speed to determine how long it will take to get to your destination. On my last big trip, it gave one estimated trip time, then when I hit traffic, the estimated time kept rising, until I got out of traffic, then it went down again.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts