Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yanno... it depends. I mean it's kind of nice to be able to use the stock controls instead of pulling up your phone to control it (if the system you are thinking about allows it) when it's integrated like most modern stock systems, but at the same time, it's kind of limited versus mirroring. Also with carplay, if you like waze or anything, screw that. You're limited to Apple Maps unless you jailbreak and use NGX. But I mean Apple Maps is still better than the Acura navi IMO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yanno... it depends. I mean it's kind of nice to be able to use the stock controls instead of pulling up your phone to control it (if the system you are thinking about allows it) when it's integrated like most modern stock systems, but at the same time, it's kind of limited versus mirroring. Also with carplay, if you like waze or anything, screw that. You're limited to Apple Maps unless you jailbreak and use NGX. But I mean Apple Maps is still better than the Acura navi IMO.
its $400 so I'm stock with the dilemma

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
its $400 so I'm stock with the dilemma
Yeah I get ya. Vitaliy has a good product there, but that price is kinda crazy, especially after you've already bought the base interface for mirroring. Personally, I find that already having mirroring in your case would be sufficient for me and it gives me much more flexibility of things to display or play. So IMO, I don't think it's worth it to add on the Carplay interface.

Also a few things came to mind:
-When will Apple make the $400 you spent obsolete? Hopefully they will continue to support the lightning cable interface method for the foreseeable future, but it is a risk to consider.
-Will mirroring ever cease to work like it now no longer works for Android phones using HDMI to the navtool interface (we no longer use the MHL protocol over HDMI, so navtool became obsolete for new gen Android users)?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Samsung brought HDMI back with the S8 via USB-C. I haven't found any other current Android phones with this yet. Maybe the rest will follow.
Oh right forgot about that. I hope so too. With the 7 fiasco I'm not sure how the market share for the 8 is now. For me, I've also stepped away from Galaxy family due to various issues over the years (still use a 6 actually), but the 8 seems to be a good improvement. Maybe it's just Google itself what wants to get rid of it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts