Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put down my deposit in June on my 2002 Havasu Blue Premium/Base for MSRP + Roof rack + Mud Flaps + Wood Kit .
Total is:
MDX Premium = $35,200
Rack= $399
Rear Muds = $99
Full Wood Kit + Knob = $695
TOTAL= 36,393

I put down a $1000 deposit on my Mastercard but did not request any contingencies on my contract.

It is due to be manufactured 8/14. I do not have a VIN yet.

Can I / Should try to renogotiate my price? It seems a lot od folks are getting $500-$1000 off MSRP on 2002's now? What's the best way to go about it?

I live in North Jersey.

Thanks!
Rob Lehmann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
It doesn't hurt to try :4: . They might not budge on the 'X msrp, but I would negotiate on the accessories - remember those are dealer installed, not factory.

How about calling other dealers (200 mile radius) to see if anyone offers a better price. You could then use this to negotiate with your current dealer.

I had my dealer match Tim's prices for some of my accessories. We discussed this when they gave me a quote for my trade, about a month before my 'X came in.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
Never hurts to try ...

... at least ask for free accessories. I question just how many people are getting $1000 discounts now however; and if they are getting any cash discounts are they continuing to get free extras also?

May be an interesting poll - how many people are getting recent discounts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
hikeleader said:
I put down my deposit in June on my 2002 Premium.... 36,393

I put down a $1000 deposit on my Mastercard but did not request any contingencies on my contract.

....

Can I / Should try to renogotiate my price? It seems a lot od folks are getting $500-$1000 off MSRP on 2002's now? What's the best way to go about it?
...
Hmm...
JUNE?!?

For SEPTEMBER delivery?

Why?

No offense, but I have to say you SHOULD have thought about these things BEFORE you whipped out your charge card...

I mean what EXACTLY did the dealership "give up" in exchange for your deposit (this is kinda the historical basis of legal contracts -- one party gives cash and the other party gives up something of value...). Suppose you walk-in and say "Things are kinda tight at home, I need the deposit back, I can't afford to pay $37K fior this END OF MODEL YEAR vehicle...", what are they gonna do? I hope they'd refund your deposit, the really don't have to-- afterall how many folks would want to pay FULL BOAT at the end of model year-- THAT must be what they'd be giving up, the FAT profit you were gonna hand 'em.

Me thinks somebody let their emotions come ahead of logic.


Suppose they do give the depost back. Further suppose that they don't have any other suckers.. er CUSTOMERS lined up. They then have to pluck this BASE '02 out front and wait for somebody who wants a HB '02 as the '03 are practically rolling off the truck. I suppose they might get MSRP, but they only to know is if they test the waters...


Not a pretty picture.

PEOPLE: Negotiate your BEST DEAL before agreeing to ANYTHING! Deposits don't help consumers much, and consumers who pay MSRP ++ make it damned hard to ever get an MDX below MSRP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regrettably at the time that was the best deal I could get.
I ordered it on 6/17 and the best manufacturing date was 8/14 at that time. No one was giving better than MSRP and many were asking for MORE than MSRP so getting it at MSRP at the time was ok with me. I did not want to wait and see what would happen with 2003 Models as they were not taking deposits for them then and they were projecting delivery for them to be sometime in November. I did not want to wait another 2-3 months for a vehicle. Sure, emotion enters into it.

The largest mistake I made was in not stipulating that if I did not want the vehicle at delivery I would be refunded my deposit.

However the dealer has also offered me a loaded Havasu Blue Demo with 500 miles on it that is totally loaded. If he was willing to sell me that he must not be too concerned with how he will sell the vehicle I ordered. He wanted $43,500 for the demo which I kindly declined. It isn't worth $7000 more for Navi+Touring + Accessories.

I have since advised him that I do not want ANY of the $1200 worth of dealer added accessories I ordered on the vehicle as I feel he was way overpriced and that I was getting ripped enough as is paying full MSRP for the vehicle. Given that he would lose about $500 in profit by my not ordering any dealer accessories he offered to throw in free running boards if I kept my order for the other accessories. I accepted that, so at least I got something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I was told by my dealer here in San Diego that by law (in Caifornia) the deposit has to be fully refundable. You don't have to have any explaination for wanting it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
MD2020 said:
I was told by my dealer here in San Diego that by law (in Caifornia) the deposit has to be fully refundable. You don't have to have any explaination for wanting it back.
That's my understanding of California law, too, but it sure doesn't hurt to get it in writing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Mass has the same law about deposits. Fully refundable, no questions asked. But a weasel dealer isn't going to tell you this, they will try to bully you into buying the car first :rolleyes:

Buyer beware!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I am very new to the site, but thought I would give you my particulars. Bought the same color 2002 Touring/Nav 1 month ago. I paid a total of $39,500 on mine, BUT they threw in the side molding, wheel locks, mud guards, tinted front windows (glad to have in Houston), trunk tray (protection package) and the front "eyebrows/bug protector" - wind deflector all for no additional charge. My vehicle had just arrived on the lot, so I didn't have to wait for delivery. Gillman treated me like a queen, and they continue to do so...

Yelba
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Wood option price seem high

It looks like the wooddash+ option you have listed is very high....
Personally I would ask them to delete that option and use that money for something else..



:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
Sorry, But I Wouldn't Do It

hikeleader,

I think it is damn crazy to pay MSRP for a vehicle that is 1 year old when you get it! We did pay MSRP but we got our X at the end of 2001. Thus, we got a year's use for the year's depreciation.

While the MDX does hold its value well, they STILL DEPRECIATE. In fact, a 3 year old X was estimated to loose well over $12,000 in value [posted somewhere else on the site]. Sooooo, drive it off the lot and hold your butt BECAUSE it is going down in value by approx. $4,000 in the first 30 days. Actually MORE, 'cause the 1st year depreciation is worse than the 2nd which is worse than the 3rd which .....

AND ON TOP OF ALL THIS, sounds like the 2003 will have some nice enhancements!! While 2002 and 2001 were virtually identical feature wise, 2003 promises to be different!

If your dealer offered a $3,000 discount from MSRP on the 2002 vs. MSRP for a 2003, I for one would have a hard choice. After thinking about it for 1.6 minutes, I would take the 2003!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's hard to argue with your points but I am not left with much choice.

In NJ I do not believe I have much, if any right to say, thanks but no thanks.

I would not mind waiting another 2 months for a 2003 but I doubt the dealer will give me that option now that i have a VIN number on a 2002 that is due for delivery in 2-3 weeks.

Maybe If I asked real nice and ordered the 2003 loaded so that he made more profit I might pull it off?

Stupid me.....

any clever ideas out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
hikeleader:

I can't say about NJ..but in CA, I couldn't find any dealers willing to go down below MSRP...supply and demand..

I think you should examine your case and see if you can afford to wait another 2-3 months..Then, 2003 will make sense to you.

PS: Bought mine 2 weeks ago. exactly @ MSRP and got ripped ~$200 some accessory. Oh, well..I still like the car.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
hikeleader ...

I was (and still am) shopping around in the Philadelphia area and all the dealers are offering '02 MDXs at MSRP. Found a dealer who's willing to let me switch later on to a '03 model if I change my mind when more information is available. Said he won't have trouble disposing the car anyway. So, I went ahead and shelled $500.00 as d/p and is expecting delivery late Sept for a '02 SS MDX Tour/Navi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
hikeleader,

I sense that you feel that you HAVE TO do this deal. You might want to check with your local "rules" [e.g. laws]. In most places I know, you don't own the vehicle UNTIL you sign the papers.

In the old days, the dealers held the consumer to the deal BUT the dealer was off free and clear if the vehicle was delayed, never received, came in wrong, etc. I thought everyone [e.g. all states] now forced the dealer to treat the consumer like the dealer insisted on being treated. In law, there is something about a contract is not a contract if only 1 side could be held to it.

I KNOW dealers will not expose themselves to liablity based on the vehcile manufacturer. When was the last time you saw a dealer commit delivery on or before a certain date AND if it was late, the penalty clauses started kicking in -- yeah right!!

Soooo, I suggest a quick check of the local laws or better yet ask the dealer and tape record the conversation -- do it in person, not over the phone.

Once you know what your rights are, THEN AND ONLY THEN can you make an informed choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
hikeleader said:
Well it's hard to argue with your points but I am not left with much choice.

In NJ I do not believe I have much, if any right to say, thanks but no thanks.

I would not mind waiting another 2 months for a 2003 but I doubt the dealer will give me that option now that i have a VIN number on a 2002 that is due for delivery in 2-3 weeks.

Maybe If I asked real nice and ordered the 2003 loaded so that he made more profit I might pull it off?

Stupid me.....

any clever ideas out there?
Some people are just destined to be walked on....

Have you bothered to see what your rights ARE? Can you cancel? Have you asked the better business bureau, or any other independent authority?

Have you actually PAID the Mastercard $1000 charge? If so, CONTEST IT. Tell mastercard you never signed a purchase agreement with a 'no cancellation' clause. They'll give you the money back.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET OUT OF THIS DEAL WITHOUT "UNPLEASANTNESS"... Dont think the dealer is going to just say "OK, here is $1500". You'll need to cancel, period, and see if he wants it back. He already knows you'll roll over, he knows you can be manipulated, he knows you think you can't cancel...

At this time, not waiting for a 2003 (unless you are getting $1000+ under msrp) is nuts.

My not so humble 2cents...

Ard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Hikeleader,

It sounds like the best thing you can do is demand your deposit back. Give them some excuse. Most likely (I am not sure), they are required to give back your deposit by state law. Then start fresh with a new dealer. There has to be quite a few dealers in NJ.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top