Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have narrowed down on a Certified Pre Owned 2014 MDX w/Tech package. The vehicle has 39000 miles, and the dealer is asking $34,500.
I am aware that 2014 MDX have had some problems with engine, some rattling and chirping, some door weather strip issues, road noise.
I know all vehicles have some or the other issues, but I want to know if the above issues were fixed by tsb's or are covered under warranty?

Your guidance will be very helpful.

(I currently drive an 2009 Accord EX)

·
Registered
353 Posts
That price sounds high to me. I have a '14 Advanced with half that mileage and I don't think I could get anywhere near that money for it even from a private sale.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We just bought our 2014 Tech lease for 35K, it has been an awesome vehicle. No issues other than an intermittent rubbing noise in the engine compartment that can never be duplicated when we have it in for regular service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just bought our 2014 Tech lease for 35K, it has been an awesome vehicle. No issues other than an intermittent rubbing noise in the engine compartment that can never be duplicated when we have it in for regular service.
Isn't there any TSB for the engine noise (something to do with faulty water pump)?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 tech shawd I've owned since new that now has around 30K miles on it. I really like it and it's been trouble free. I've been active on this third gen forum since the beginning and haven't noted any issue with the engine. What exactly are you referring to? Some people have complained about noises that apparently are either 'normal' direct injection noises or are some chirping that may be due to either a noisy fuel pump or a belt alignment issue. The latter is fixed with a TSB by adding a shim.

Some have complained of rear end clunks and thumps (I've never had this on mine) but a TSB recently came out to address this.

Again, I'm happy with mine and am glad I chose it.

I'll leave it to you to determine if the price is decent - I suggest looking at KBB, Edmunds for pricing and then cars.com and other ads to see what they're really going for.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Remember that certification adds at least $1,000 to the price. When I checked KBB.com it showed mine with 45,000 miles on it listed for almost $30,000 for trade in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2014 tech shawd I've owned since new that now has around 30K miles on it. I really like it and it's been trouble free. I've been active on this third gen forum since the beginning and haven't noted any issue with the engine. What exactly are you referring to? Some people have complained about noises that apparently are either 'normal' direct injection noises or are some chirping that may be due to either a noisy fuel pump or a belt alignment issue. The latter is fixed with a TSB by adding a shim.

Some have complained of rear end clunks and thumps (I've never had this on mine) but a TSB recently came out to address this.

Again, I'm happy with mine and am glad I chose it.

I'll leave it to you to determine if the price is decent - I suggest looking at KBB, Edmunds for pricing and then cars.com and other ads to see what they're really going for.
The issue I was referring is "engine problems". On lot of forums and consumer report websites people have complained "2014 MDX has engine problems". These problems were mixed, but all had to do something or other with engine. I understand that no two cars are same, but wanted to make sure that these common problems were taken care in the TSB's. From what you mentioned in your post, I think these issues were attended, which is a good thing.
Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
On lot of forums and consumer report websites people have complained "2014 MDX has engine problems".
That's very broad. I think this forum is the most active of any for the MDX and there have been virtually 'no' 'engine problem' complaints I can recall outside of the fuel pump noise and timing belt shim and in both of those cases the only effect has been some higher noise levels - not an actual engine problem. Believe me, if people had an engine problem they'd complain about it here. You can look back through this forum to get an idea in case I missed something. btw - mine hasn't had either of these issues but some other posters have had them.

One issue with Consumer Reports and the like is that they're so general in their categories and how they mark things that it's difficult to quantify much objective from them. Take anything you read in there with a grain of salt unless they can present real objective reliable data.

Keep in mind that the normal factory warranty on the MDX covers the engine, tranny, and other drive train components for more time and miles and the CPO should cover it for even longer so you shouldn't have much of a worry about that area.

Regardless, as with any vehicle, make sure you check out the specific vehicle you're considering including extended test drives paying attention to noises and the like. Also check all the body panels for fitment, surface for defects, etc. Check out the Nav/Infotainment to understand what it does and its limitations/quirks.

And...realize that if it's not an shawd model it likely won't have a spare tire - just a can of fix-a-flat. Even if it's a shawd stick your head under the back and make sure there's one there. I'm saying this because some people bought the vehicle without being aware of this lack of a spare (a trend among most manufacturers) and then they get angry at Acura and make wild statements when it was really their own ignorance at play by not doing their homework and due diligence. Just know what you're getting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's very broad. I think this forum is the most active of any for the MDX and there have been virtually 'no' 'engine problem' complaints I can recall outside of the fuel pump noise and timing belt shim and in both of those cases the only effect has been some higher noise levels - not an actual engine problem. Believe me, if people had an engine problem they'd complain about it here. You can look back through this forum to get an idea in case I missed something. btw - mine hasn't had either of these issues but some other posters have had them.
Ditto, this - the '14 did have a few TSBs related to the transmission but likely nothing more than one-offs regarding any engine issues.

Keep in mind that Acura sold over 65,000 MDXs in 2014 and that a VERY small portion of these owners ever posted to this or any other web board. Your typical owner is not likely to find their way to a web board even for enthusiast cars (miatas being a notable exception...they're all on the boards), so the complaints/notes/posts you'll find here are not likely to be statistically relevant to the total number of cars sold. In short, you're probably fine, especially, as 'stang points out, with the factory and CPO warranties.

Re: price, definitely check out cargurus.com as well. They can give you a good sense of the value of the car you're looking at vs others. That said, most dealers aren't terribly likely to negotiate hard on a used vehicle (CPO somewhat more than non-CPO) due to the fact that it's too easy for consumers to get information and cross shop on the internet. Most dealers will try to put their best price on the car up front to get folks on the lot. That said, dealers will be more motivated to sell/negotiate on a car that's been sitting in their inventory for a while.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello everyone. I have narrowed down on a Certified Pre Owned 2014 MDX w/Tech package. The vehicle has 39000 miles, and the dealer is asking $34,500.
I am aware that 2014 MDX have had some problems with engine, some rattling and chirping, some door weather strip issues, road noise.
I know all vehicles have some or the other issues, but I want to know if the above issues were fixed by tsb's or are covered under warranty?

Your guidance will be very helpful.

(I currently drive an 2009 Accord EX)
certified pre-owned is a gimmick, you are overpaying for a car that got an oil change and detail at a dealership. Then it's sold at a premium

·
Registered
14 Posts
certified pre-owned is a gimmick, you are overpaying for a car that got an oil change and detail at a dealership. Then it's sold at a premium
If you compare prices on CPO vs. non-CPO cars, there's not a whole lot of markup there. In addition, you can and should hold the dealer to anything wrong on your car that they should have looked over in the CPO inspection process. Not to mention the additional warranty may be worth some peoples peace of mind.

Not saying that some dealerships don't overly mark up their cars, but if you do your shopping and comparing, you can score a good deal on a CPO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A lot of certified cars have to go through an extensive check list to
get certified. Also, where I live they also extend the warranty for
12 months or 12k miles. So it's more than an oil change and detail.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased a 16 MDX AWD AWP CPO for $44k over a year ago.. it only had 1200 miles. You could do better than the price your looking at. Remember cars.com or autotrader.. don?t stop at local places go anywhere to a great deal. Always ask for internet sells or used car manager! I drove 125 miles and passed 3 Acura dealers to get my deal. Spend a little more and get the safety features. and lower miles. Plus longer warranty..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts