Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy this 2006 MDX with 138k for $5700. It drives perfect, it's clean like new and it's got clean Carfax and all recommended maintenance (including belt replacement). Is this a good deal?

Gabe

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sounds like a reasonably good deal. However, w/ a "mature" used car a detailed inspection is always a good idea. Check for codes and other maintenance items; cv boots, brakes, motor mounts, radiator, PS leaks, etc. I've found that money spent on an inspection is returned when small items are rationalized in final price.

good luck

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
What Texas said! 138,000 miles is just getting broken in on an MDX (that's been taken care of, that is). Make sure that the belt changed was the timing belt, and not just the serpentine belt. It would also be helpful to know that the valves have been adjusted at around 100,000 miles. By far the weak link in an MDX is the transmission, so I recommend pulling the tranny fluid dipstick (the one that is down under the throttle body) and see what the fluid looks like. If it's clear and red, smile. If it's black and stinky... you have to assume that it's more likely you'll have transmission problems in the future.

Also, how good a deal that is depends somewhat on where you're at (and where the car is from). Cars from northeastern locations tend to be rusty at that age, while those from the southwest aren't. Also, anyone buying a used car right now should be very cautious about where it's from, as a whole lot of flood-damaged vehicles from the Houston area are making their way onto the market after passing through the insurance / auction process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy this 2006 MDX with 138k for $5700. It drives perfect, it's clean like new and it's got clean Carfax and all recommended maintenance (including belt replacement). Is this a good deal?

Gabe
I just bought a 2006 w/ 166000 miles for $4700. I didn't get a carfax or maintenance records but my boyfriend and his best friend looked it over and said it's solid. They said I got a steal!! I'm just going to do the belt and transmission fluid just to be safe. I'd say do it!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The OP posted 2.5 years ago, so I'm guessing they already made the call. ;-) I'd suggest doing a valve adjustment on a 166,000 mile car, too. I did mine with that kind of mileage, and the valves were getting scary tight - wouldn't have been a good thing to let them go any longer without adjustment. Not a huge job, just a DIY for someone with patience and a big of finesse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts