Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Should I buy a '02 X previously owned in Canada?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  srpbep 
#1 ·
I have the oppotunity to purchase a '02 X (1000 miles) that was purchased in Canada and brought to the states, and converted to U.S. standards. The price is the main attraction for me. Other than having to deal with securing a warranty, is there any other issues I should be concerned with? Would this be considered a gray mkt. auto (even though they are made in Ontario to begin with)!

Any wisdom would be appreciated! :confused:

#2 ·
MDX from Canada...

You already mentioned the only problem that I'm aware of, and that's the warranty issue. You'll have to see if a third party will sell you a warranty on the vehicle because Honda USA will not. Of course, the factory warranty will still be good in Canada.

#3 ·
Hi Jseeing:

___Not only is the Canadian warranty not valid here in the states (thanks again Honda/Acura … real smooth move :3: ) but your attempts to resell the MDX could be affected as well. If you are going to drive it beyond its warranty period with whatever warranty coverage you can secure, it shouldn’t be a problem. An X whether purchased in Canada or the states at 120,000 mile + shouldn’t make a difference if you catch my drift … The real item to consider is that what ever warranty coverage you secure will not be as good as the one from Acura directly so make sure the deal is a really outstanding and not one of those E-Bay specials some of the more unscrupulous trading houses are attempting to pawn off on the masses. And yes, it’s a gray market automobile.

___Someone will have to chime in here. Are TSB’s covered on a Canadian marketed vehicle registered in the states? I would think since it’s one of those items performed to fix a problem caused by Acura’s design it would be covered but I am not so sure on a gray market vehicle with the Acura warranty being null and void here in the states (again, thank you Honda/Acura :3: )? I would also find out if the factory warranty still stands up in Canada? If there were a major item (tranny or engine replacement), you could possibly get the vehicle back up North for a true replacement instead of a hack job by a local shop of the secondary warranty companies choice.

___I guess if I could save $4,000 - $6,000 ($30,000 - $32,000 for a Canadian built 2002 X w/ 1000 miles in perfect condition), I might consider it. $3,000 or less, it is not even worth a minor thought IMHO. You would lose ~ that on a non-gray market 02 American purchased X in the 02 to 03 model changeover alone at time of resale sometime into the future so make sure you consider that into the equation … Maybe watch E-Bay or your local paper for an American purchased 2001/2002 w/ 15K – 25K miles for < $30,000 would be a thought as well? As close as we are to the 03’s being available in the Canadian market, maybe look for a similar deal on an 03 in 3 to 4 months.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

#4 ·
xcel:

Thanks for the reply and helpful tips. The price is $32,500-$33,000(U.S.), and is a touring model in silver which attracted my attention to begin with. I've been looking for an X for a month or so to trade up on my '96 4-runner, so I suppose I can continue to wait.

I think there are probably more issues and potential large issues if something goes wrong with the vehicle if I did purchase it. :headshake

#5 ·
I haven't seen a Canadian X before but you do realize that Canadian standards is metric therefore I am going to assume(pretty much sure) that the speedometer has BIG numbers which are Kilometers and small one as miles . As well I would imagine that the trip computer and gas milage will be in Kilometers. Being born and raised in Canada I am still adjusting to the miles stuff myself. One cool thing about Canadian cars is the standard daytime running lights. Why the heck doesn't the American version have that. (should go check before I spout but sure it doesn't).

#6 ·
Hi Hockeyplayer:

___As far as the KPH/MPH speedometer is concerned, Yes, and that is why you would have to swap it out before bringing a Canadian purchased vehicle back into the United States as a soon to be US registered vehicle. And the Trip Computer … I have read that there is a back door method of switching the Trip Computers display between Metric and English with the touch or hold of a few buttons …

___You and I both wish the X had DRL’s if I have read the brochures and manuals correctly. I pass 10 X’s a day and I don’t recall them having lights on during the day unfortunately … My 03 Corolla LE has DRL’s and the automatic on/off feature, one of the Landscape Trucks has them, and I wish the X had them. The Auto On/Off feature is nice but without DRL’s, I think the X is missing an important safety feature.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

#7 ·
If you're looking for a 2002, I'd take my best shot negotiating on a
new one. You should be able to get $1K-$2K off right now as the
2003's are coming in (heck, I got this, and I'm in Silicon Valley, the
heart of MDX gouging), and this should further marginalize the
gains you might get with the Canadian model.

RS

#8 ·
IMHO:

** Buy a slightly used US 02 X -- some of us are really drooling over the 03.

** Work a deal for a new 02 X.

** Step up to an 03 X [I really think you'd find it worth the extra $].

That 02 Canadian would have to be REAL REAL REAL inexpensive before I would even turn my head ... and low 30s ain't there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.