Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 MDX CPO with 43kish mile on it (and I really like it.) I saw the service history online and it looks like all of the oil changes have been done at the dealership but they haven't done the transmission flush yet (I'm told it should have been done around 30k.) I'm sorry of bummed to learn this wasn't done as I plan on possibly keeping the car for a long time. I'm going to have that service done but do you think there could be any damage to the transmission since this wasn't done at 30k? Hopefully someone can put my mind at ease.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!
No need to be concerned, especially since you will be changing it soon anyway. I have a CPO '17 MDX with 45k miles that I bought at 20k miles, and I have not had my transmission fluid changed yet either. I brought this up with my Acura service advisor last month because I too was concerned, but the Maintenance Minder has never shown a code for transmission or differential service, so I haven't had it done yet. The Advisor recommended I just follow the MM because it monitors how the car has been driven and adjusts maintenance intervals accordingly. Because my transmission behaves flawlessly, I don't drive my car hard, I don't tow with it, and I only put on highway miles, the computer has likely predicted that the transmission fluid is still holding up well. The logic makes sense to me considering my oil change interval has increased from 6000 miles (when I first bought it) to 8500 miles (10% oil life remaining).

My anecdote aside, it cannot hurt to change it own sooner rather than later, but I really wouldn't be concerned about longevity issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the purchase!
No need to be concerned, especially since you will be changing it soon anyway. I have a CPO '17 MDX with 45k miles that I bought at 20k miles, and I have not had my transmission fluid changed yet either. I brought this up with my Acura service advisor last month because I too was concerned, but the Maintenance Minder has never shown a code for transmission or differential service, so I haven't had it done yet. The Advisor recommended I just follow the MM because it monitors how the car has been driven and adjusts maintenance intervals accordingly. Because my transmission behaves flawlessly, I don't drive my car hard, I don't tow with it, and I only put on highway miles, the computer has likely predicted that the transmission fluid is still holding up well. The logic makes sense to me considering my oil change interval has increased from 6000 miles (when I first bought it) to 8500 miles (10% oil life remaining).

My anecdote aside, it cannot hurt to change it own sooner rather than later, but I really wouldn't be concerned about longevity issues.
Thanks. It makes me nervous as I don't know if the MM ever showed and previous owner just ignored it. The person at the dealership made it seem like it for sure would have shown by now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Just double check when you are due for an AT service. The dealership can do a 1X1 for around $100 when they just drain and refill once. The preferred method is a $300-$350 3X3 method of drain, refill, drive, repeat 3 times to exchange more of the transmission fliud. NEVER do a 3rd party transmission "flush" or any service that claims to "remove/suck" out the majority of the ATF. It is my understanding the Acura AT still need a little bit of the old fliud to work correctly with the new fluid.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just double check when you are due for an AT service. The dealership can do a 1X1 for around $100 when they just drain and refill once. The preferred method is a $300-$350 3X3 method of drain, refill, drive, repeat 3 times to exchange more of the transmission fliud. NEVER do a 3rd party transmission "flush" or any service that claims to "remove/suck" out the majority of the ATF. It is my understanding the Acura AT still need a little bit of the old fliud to work correctly with the new fluid.
Thanks. That's what I'm getting at. The dealership says you should have it down around 30k so it's is "over due" by 13k or so miles which concerns me. :-/

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just bought a 2018 MDX CPO with 43kish mile on it (and I really like it.) I saw the service history online and it looks like all of the oil changes have been done at the dealership but they haven't done the transmission flush yet (I'm told it should have been done around 30k.) I'm sorry of bummed to learn this wasn't done as I plan on possibly keeping the car for a long time. I'm going to have that service done but do you think there could be any damage to the transmission since this wasn't done at 30k? Hopefully someone can put my mind at ease.
Damage?? Unlikely.
The MID will tell you when you need to change your tranny fluid. On the 18, it will most likely let you know around the 45k - 50k mile mark, maybe even longer. Doubt it would come on prior to 40k, but it does take driving conditions in mind. And it is not a “flush”. Do not let anyone tell you it needs a flush. Just drain and fill.
On my 17, the MID never did tell me the tranny fluid needed to be changed. I sold it when it had 46k miles on it.
30k miles is really too early, but it won’t hurt to change it early.
Honda’s 6 spd tranny should be a drain and fill every 30-35k though. Your 18 has a FZ 9 speed in it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damage?? Unlikely.
The MID will tell you when you need to change your tranny fluid. On the 18, it will most likely let you know around the 45k - 50k mile mark, maybe even longer. Doubt it would come on prior to 40k, but it does take driving conditions in mind. And it is not a “flush”. Do not let anyone tell you it needs a flush. Just drain and fill.
On my 17, the MID never did tell me the tranny fluid needed to be changed. I sold it when it had 46k miles on it.
30k miles is really too early, but it won’t hurt to change it early.
Honda’s 6 spd tranny should be a drain and fill every 30-35k though. Your 18 has a FZ 9 speed in it.
thank you - that's very reassuring!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And when you do have your tranny fluid change, you really need to use the Acura or Honda type 3.1 fluid. Do not use anything else. And it should take approx. 3.5 qts.
Thanks - I will for sure get it done at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
We are at 47k miles and have not had the MID call for transmission fluid change. I had the rear diff serviced around 40k miles and the dealer said they're seeing those with the ZF-9 speed calling for service between 50k-60k miles.

Someone above mentioned the "3x drain/fill" procedure but that's not necessary for the ZF 9-speed. That was a common procedure with the older transmissions (I've done it on my '12) particularly if they hadn't been serviced regularly or were having shifting issues. The ZF is not nearly as easy to change the fluid as it requires software and a specific process/fluid temp to change. It would be prohibitively expensive to do the 3x drain-fill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are at 47k miles and have not had the MID call for transmission fluid change. I had the rear diff serviced around 40k miles and the dealer said they're seeing those with the ZF-9 speed calling for service between 50k-60k miles.

Someone above mentioned the "3x drain/fill" procedure but that's not necessary for the ZF 9-speed. That was a common procedure with the older transmissions (I've done it on my '12) particularly if they hadn't been serviced regularly or were having shifting issues. The ZF is not nearly as easy to change the fluid as it requires software and a specific process/fluid temp to change. It would be prohibitively expensive to do the 3x drain-fill.
Thank you! That's reassuring!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am at 14k miles with 50% indicated on my display. That does not sound right as the first service was indicated and completed around 6k.

I have owned the vehicle since new and no one reset anything.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I am at 14k miles with 50% indicated on my display. That does not sound right as the first service was indicated and completed around 6k.

What was the MID % when you serviced it at 6k? I assume you serviced it yourself.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts

Have you done a ton of highway driving in the last 8k miles? That might be the reason why its at 50%.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts

Where did you see the 50% indicated for transmission? I could only remember indication of oil life % on MID, but not transmission.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Where did you see the 50% indicated for transmission? I could only remember indication of oil life % on MID, but not transmission.
Where did you see it. I did not mention the transmission. This is my MID for oil, it is at 50%.
What was the MID % when you serviced it at 6k? I assume you serviced it yourself.
It was serviced by Acura. I do not service my vehicle except tire pressure, oil checks and wash fluid replacement.

mod please remove this post. I posted it in wrong thread

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Where did you see it. I did not mention the transmission. This is my MID for oil, it is at 50%.
I did think you were talking about OIL life, but want to double check since you didn't mention (or quoted anyone) on the post and OP was asking about transmission change

1 - 19 of 19 Posts