Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like driving my MDX but I'm wondering if I should get a sedan for the days I don't need an SUV, which is most days. I think my 2008 MDX handles well and I don't mind driving it but I vaguely remember smaller more nimble cars being more fun but it has been 9 years since I have owned a sedan so I don't really remember. So, is this a no brainer? Would you rather drive a sedan?

I need my MDX when it snows and pulling a trailer and I like that I can throw my bike in the back. On the other hand, in mid winter, if there isn't snow on the road, I could drive a sedan and there would be less wear on my snow tires. The sedan I am considering is a Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid. It would be cheap to drive, easy to park, the rear seat folds down so I could throw skis or dead bodies in the back. :) So, back to the essence of my question, would I probably prefer to drive a sedan or does the MDX handle so well it wouldn't make much difference.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love my toys so if you have the cash go for it. There is a middle aged single guy on my block that has two fully loaded Jeeps for off-roading, a convertible Audi and a Harley.

I asked him why so many “because I can” was his reply.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I wouldn't do a sedan, personally. I prefer the driving position of a SUV, and I don't think the fuel economy difference between a powerful sedan (I couldn't live with a Prius/Clarity) and my MDX would offset the additional cost (in addition to the cost of the vehicle there is registration, maintenance, and insurance).

Reactions: dst

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love my toys so if you have the cash go for it. There is a middle aged single guy on my block that has two fully loaded Jeeps for off-roading, a convertible Audi and a Harley.

I don't think the Honda Clarity is sporty enough for me to get any Toy fun out of it. I'm sure it handles differently but maybe not much better. The Clarity is lower and but in every other way it is similar to the MDX.

The Clarity is 2" longer.
The Clarity is 5" narrower
The Clarity is 8% lighter
The Clarity is 2% faster from 0 to 60mph
Honda doesn't state the Clarity's ground clearance.

The Clarity is superior in that it gets much better milage and has safety features like "Lane watch", "Auto braking", and essentially better cruise control. Those are all nice and good but not a lot more fun. Even though the Clarity gets much better mileage, it would be relatively expensive because of the cost of the car plus insurance, registration, depreciation vs the opportunity cost of not keeping the money invested. I think I've talked myself out of buying one but I eagerly await any other comments.

I wrote this before reading the post from p07r0457. It looks like we agree. If the MDX was a pig to drive like some other SUV's, then also have a sedan would make more sense.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I’m thinking of selling my older MDX and getting something smaller with a stick for knocking around in...a Fit maybe...a Fiesta ST or might just buy my Son’s MINI

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Volvo S80 that I drive every day. I like the MDX for long trips with the family, towing and hauling, but I'll take a lot of sedans over the MDX on a daily basis. I don't mind SUVs, but I think the US has gone crazy with this SUV obsession.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have an Accord for economy daily commute 30MPG, a BMW for fun daily commute 24MPG and sport weekends, and the MDX for family trips and wife daily 19MPG.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I think you should get the type the vehicle that supports your lifestyle the best. I've been a 2 door coupe or sedan guy for many years. It wasn't until the 1st Gen RDX came out until I really got interested in a sporty SUV/CUV that was also reliable for +150,000 miles. I drove our 06 TSX for many years before handing down to our son for H.S. and now college. I don't think I can go back down to sedan because of the added utility, passenger space, comfort, and higher sitting position. My mpgs really suck at 17-18 for my MDX and 18-19 for my RDX; but, no car payments is a lot cheaper than saving $5-$10 at the pump 2X-4X a month.

·
Registered
895 Posts
For me it would depend on the sedan. In October I bought from a client an 07 LS460 with 70k mi. Great ride, and 27 mpg on the highway (22mpg combined). So for my wife and I, our "fleet" is shown below, with her daily driver the ES300h.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you should get the type the vehicle that supports your lifestyle the best. I've been a 2 door coupe or sedan guy for many years. It wasn't until the 1st Gen RDX came out until I really got interested in a sporty SUV/CUV that was also reliable for +150,000 miles. I drove our 06 TSX for many years before handing down to our son for H.S. and now college. I don't think I can go back down to sedan because of the added utility, passenger space, comfort, and higher sitting position. My mpgs really suck at 17-18 for my MDX and 18-19 for my RDX; but, no car payments is a lot cheaper than saving $5-$10 at the pump 2X-4X a month.
My original plan to buy a Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid is much more expensive even though fuel is as little as 1/5th the price if you can run on the plug in power most of the time. Even though the fuel is cheap and there are state and federal incentive programs, a Clarity would still cost about $7000 per year for eight years because of insurance, registration, and depreciation. The savings from not driving as much a gas guzzling 2008 MDX is almost irrelevant compared to the cost of a new hybrid car.

I think I would prefer to drive a sedan a lot of the time but it would be more work keeping two cars clean and maintained so I think I can find a better use of $7000 per year. Another factor is to pay $7000 per year I have to earn $8500 more per year because of income tax.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Since everyone is CUV/SUV crazy and gas prices are at a reasonable price (for now); you should be able to get some really good deals on new or used sedans or coupes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since everyone is CUV/SUV crazy and gas prices are at a reasonable price (for now); you should be able to get some really good deals on new or used sedans or coupes.
That crossed my mind but you got me to investigate this. It seems the most suitable used sedan for me would be an Acura TLX because it has a fold down rear seat which I need for snow skis. Used ones with fairly low miles are available for about $24K. Audi also has fold down rear seats but I will never own another Audi or any VW car. (The transmission blew on my otherwise pristine Audi A6 twin turbo when it had 77k miles and the dealer said I should take it to a wrecking yard.)

A new TLC is about the same in dimensions and horsepower and cost except the cost of fuel. I suspect the Clarity Hybrid would eventually have much better resale value and it would be nice and quiet.

All of the people in this thread that own sedans would rather drive a good sedan than their MDX. Those recommending I don't get a sedan, don't have sedans. I need to demo a sedan and then decide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That crossed my mind but you got me to investigate this. It seems the most suitable used sedan for me would be an Acura TLX because it has a fold down rear seat which I need for snow skis. Used ones with fairly low miles are available for about $24K. ....

All of the people in this thread that own sedans would rather drive a good sedan than their MDX. Those recommending I don't get a sedan, don't have sedans. I need to demo a sedan and then decide.
I screwed up the middle paragraph my previous post and it is too late to edit it so this is what it should have said. "A new Clarity Plug in Hybrid has similar dimensions as the TLX but the Clarity is slower. Fuel for the Clarity is dirt cheap because of the plug in option. I suspect the Clarity Hybrid would eventually have much better resale value and it would be nice and quiet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can buy for pretty cheap a used lexus version of the Prius, with out the stigma of the Prius name. I forgot the name of the lexus version but they discontinued it a few years ago but there are many on the used market. The issue with clarity is that it is a new platform and the first few years may have issues but who knows...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You can buy for pretty cheap a used lexus version of the Prius, with out the stigma of the Prius name. I forgot the name of the lexus version but they discontinued it a few years ago but there are many on the used market. The issue with clarity is that it is a new platform and the first few years may have issues but who knows...
You're referring to the CT200h. It's SMALL. Despite sharing the same platform as a Prius, the interior feels much smaller. My parents have one. Extremely uncomfortable to ride in.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Having owned Jeeps, I think two Jeeps is smart, because you can usually drive one Jeep while you're waiting for parts to arrive so you can fix the other one. :grin:

But have you considered a bicycle as an alternative, "green", and usually fairly reliable mode of transportation?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for thinking outside the box. I wasn't aware of the Lexus CT 200h. One thing I like about it is the dash is much more traditional than Prius's center LCD. These days I think Honda/Acura is doing a better job with quality and reliability than Toyota/Lexus. Also, this is a real nit pick but I don't like the grill style of most modern Lexus and Toyota.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're referring to the CT200h. It's SMALL. Despite sharing the same platform as a Prius, the interior feels much smaller. My parents have one. Extremely uncomfortable to ride in.
The Lexus CT200H is actually substantially smaller than the Prius. Lexus decided to make it more sporty than the Prius so it is small and maybe it has stiffer suspension too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is some cost data for a 2015 Acura TLX AWD vs 2018 Honda Clarity Plug In Touring (premium)

A TLX AWD is listed for $25K and it has 40k miles on it. If I drive it for 10K miles per year for 8 years the average monthly cost would be $600..
The Clarity is new, has all of the bells and whistles and it is $39k out the door. If I drive it 10k miles per year for 8 years the average monthly cost would be $605.
So the cost per year is essentially identical. My calculations are based on some guesses and assumptions but I believe both monthly costs are within 15% of accurate.

The initial price difference for the two cars is $15000 but the monthly cost is the same because of a California Income tax break (for me about $2600), a rebate of $1500, and because of the $8000 difference in the cost of fuel. The Clarity is the winner for me because it is new, has a warranty and has newer and more refined bells and whistles like improved cruise control and lane management, transmission, dash interface, etc. Also the Clarity gets carpool lane access in CA. The TLX has AWD and it is faster but I don't need the speed and I have an MDX for when I need AWD.

Now I need to drive one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts