Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I found a few threads on this topic but they are quite a bit old and am looking for some newer info on below: 2014 MDX Elite - 75K km

I took my car into crappy tire for an inspection - (for uber) and was told that my right front passenger shock is leaking (I did see the entire suspension covered in old oil - seems like it was there for a while). I do not feel any knocks/bang when going over speed bumps or bad roads - as a matter of fact, I am actually thinking that it's oil from my recent oil change. However, I could be wrong. Also, the bushing needs to be replaced (front control arm? - next to the ball joint). Every once in a while, when I go into reverse and start to back-up, I hear a knock.
I have the extended warranty and am wondering if this will be covered. I was unable to find any specific detail on my Acura account.

Over the past couple months, I have been hearing a slight 'grazing' sound - like something rubbing against a piece of metal. Usually, this occurs when I am just starting to drive or getting out of a parking spot - at very low speed and it only occurs when I step on the gas. I cannot pinpoint exactly where this sound is coming from but it seems/feels like under the engine.

Also, can anyone say if it's better to go with Shocks that Acura provides or should I get after market? If so, any recommendations?

Apologies if I am starting another thread on this topic but as mentioned, it's older information that I found.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't feel anything too when I found both front leaking, but after replacement, you will feel the difference, so for shocks, only OEM available, no option 2, get them online yourself, bring it to the local shop to replace.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Consider replacing spring too if needed, because removing the strut is a struggle, so try to replace all needed at once.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Before spendind a dime inspect the CV boot. A torn CV voot will spray grease all over. A leaky shock/strut will usually just dribble down the shock tube

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies.
Any ideas on costs? Also anyone with experience having it covered under their warranties?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also found my FR shock boot was covered with leaked oil. No way the leak was caused by your recent oil change unless someone sprayed used oil there on purpose. I didn't feel usual symptoms of shot shocks as well. Once I had the worn shocks out and inspected, FR was completely shot(see pic below).

Acura shocks are supplied by Sacks, but they do not market aftermarket shocks or anyone else. Acura also don't sell any complete strut assembly. You'll have to replace the shocks with OE Acura, best price can be found at oemacuraparts.com for $179/ea. A few members here had their front shocks replaced for $150-200 labor only, while dealer wants $1100-1200 parts and labor. $150-200 for labor is incredible price. You do not need to replace springs with the mileage you have, maybe at 200,000 km or higher.

Shocks should always be replaced by pair.
old.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh, I've read some members had their shocks replaced under warranty. Nothing to lose, insist them to repair under warranty. Shocks should last 100,000 miles, IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also found my FR shock boot was covered with leaked oil. No way the leak was caused by your recent oil change unless someone sprayed used oil there on purpose. I didn't feel usual symptoms of shot shocks as well. Once I had the worn shocks out and inspected, FR was completely shot(see pic below).

Acura shocks are supplied by Sacks, but they do not market aftermarket shocks or anyone else. Acura also don't sell any complete strut assembly. You'll have to replace the shocks with OE Acura, best price can be found at oemacuraparts.com for $179/ea. A few members here had their front shocks replaced for $150-200 labor only, while dealer wants $1100-1200 parts and labor. $150-200 for labor is incredible price. You do not need to replace springs with the mileage you have, maybe at 200,000 km or higher.

Shocks should always be replaced by pair. View attachment 113364
Thank you, Sparky!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have the extended warranty and am wondering if this will be covered.
An extended warranty is only as good as the details in the fine print on them, which tends to exclude anything with much of a chance of failing. You should have a contract for the extended warranty - get it out and read the fine details of what's covered and what isn't. I'd be surprised if the shocks were covered since they're effectively a wear item but it's worth checking.

Poster 'Localbar' just posted some details about the strut replacement here. Look for that. Apparently it's not such a simple DIY job so you may want to leave it to a qualified mechanic. It seems that the only parts choice is OE but as a poster above indicated you can get those online from oemacuraparts.com or the like for a discount and have a decent mechanic replace them.

Before buying the parts though, I think you should have them inspected by a qualified mechanic first to confirm whether they really need replacement or not. I wouldn't go just based on what a guy at the tire shop says (although he may be right).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An extended warranty is only as good as the details in the fine print on them, which tends to exclude anything with much of a chance of failing. You should have a contract for the extended warranty - get it out and read the fine details of what's covered and what isn't. I'd be surprised if the shocks were covered since they're effectively a wear item but it's worth checking.

Poster 'Localbar' just posted some details about the strut replacement here. Look for that. Apparently it's not such a simple DIY job so you may want to leave it to a qualified mechanic. It seems that the only parts choice is OE but as a poster above indicated you can get those online from oemacuraparts.com or the like for a discount and have a decent mechanic replace them.

Before buying the parts though, I think you should have them inspected by a qualified mechanic first to confirm whether they really need replacement or not. I wouldn't go just based on what a guy at the tire shop says (although he may be right).
Thanks.
I will try to take a couple pics and upload them here.
Funny, I had the same problem with my former - 2008 MDX. Acura wanted $1200 each. at that time.

Also, anyone have any knowledge on the bushings? Am I right that it's by the control arm? Seems to be a common issue with Acura's. If it's really that bushing, I had the same issue with a 2002 1.6 EL and also on the 2008 MDX.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've seen many compliance bushings gone bad pre-maturely on 10+ years older generations of Honda/Acura vehicles, but first time hearing it for 3rd gen MDX. If you're talking about popping/clicking brake rotor noise when in reverse and when cold, it is common issue and I don't think there's known fix for it.

You may want to take a picture of the bushing in question and post it here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to give a heads up - I still have not taken care of this as yet.

I called my dealership and was told my extended warranty does NOT cover the suspension. However, I did find some details on my extended warranty coverage:

I called Acura directly and they also said that my suspension is not covered. As per the above, it clearly says "SUSPENSION" 7 Year, 200K KM (On the extended warranty - which I have). The agent I spoke with at Acura says Shock Absorber, Springs, Bushings are NOT covered - but everything else is...WTF am I missing on a suspension?>??

Anyway, I was quoted - just for the front suspension (driver and passenger) $1300 for shocks, ~$450 for Labour and $125 for alignment. With taxes, that comes up as $2156 - Just for the FRONT. I might just as well sell the damn car and purchase an LR4.

Not sure if anyone else has any info regarding the extended warranty coverage - please share if you do. $2100 just for the front is a lot to dish out in one shot. Besides, I haven't even touched 80K KM as yet.

Thank you all for your replies.
Thx.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The above is why I hate these extended warranties! Honda Acura has all the facts and statistics and know exactly what is likely going to fail and seem to make sure it is not covered.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My previous car, 12 Rogue with extended warranty, was discovered rear shocks leaking, and the service advisor told me, extended warranty only covers the front shocks, not rear.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
In reality a shock is a wear item, which is why I'm not surprised that it wouldn't be covered by an extended warranty.

Again, these extended warranties are only as good as the fine print, assuming it even has the print at all. I think very few of the purchasers of the item have a good idea of what's covered under it - most are spending thousands of dollars on something where they really don't know what it is they're buying. The thousands spent on the extended warranty can go a long way to actually doing the covered maintenance work and pocketing the change - something Acura and the 3rd party insurance companies who offer them know far better than the consumers buying them. They have the advantage of seeing the actual data from thousands of the same type of vehicle regarding what actual repairs need to be made within the covered timeframe and they skew the cost and items covered as a result in order for them to make it a very profitable venture on their end.

Since the dealer wants a ton of money to replace them then the less expensive route is to buy the components yourself online from a discount Acura parts place and then have a good mechanic install it. They have the general knowledge to do it along with the tools, lifts, etc. It's bound to be much less expensive on an item like this than an Acura dealer's price I'd expect (but haven't checked on that point myself).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In reality a shock is a wear item, which is why I'm not surprised that it wouldn't be covered by an extended warranty.

Again, these extended warranties are only as good as the fine print, assuming it even has the print at all. I think very few of the purchasers of the item have a good idea of what's covered under it - most are spending thousands of dollars on something where they really don't know what it is they're buying. The thousands spent on the extended warranty can go a long way to actually doing the covered maintenance work and pocketing the change - something Acura and the 3rd party insurance companies who offer them know far better than the consumers buying them. They have the advantage of seeing the actual data from thousands of the same type of vehicle regarding what actual repairs need to be made within the covered timeframe and they skew the cost and items covered as a result in order for them to make it a very profitable venture on their end.

Since the dealer wants a ton of money to replace them then the less expensive route is to buy the components yourself online from a discount Acura parts place and then have a good mechanic install it. They have the general knowledge to do it along with the tools, lifts, etc. It's bound to be much less expensive on an item like this than an Acura dealer's price I'd expect (but haven't checked on that point myself).
Thank you mdxstang.
I figured as much. Just that even when I purchased it, the rep insisted that this will cover the shocks if it ever went within the warranty period (considering I had the same issue with my 2008 - purchased from the same sales rep). It's a bit frustrating that now they say against it and Acura says the same. On top of that, over $2000 for just the front? Imagine if the rear got busted as well...

Considering the problems I had with the 2008 (spent over $10K in repairs) and now this - I am inclined to say I will be looking at other options for a future purchase. I understand all vehicles have their own problems, some worse than others.

I got the extended warranty to have peace of mind and in the event, something like this happens, I would be covered.

You just can't win.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ If you explicitly remember discussing the point about shocks with the sales rep and them saying it'd be covered, I'd contact that rep again if they're still there and you could replace having 'peace of mind' with giving them a 'piece of your mind'. Maybe they'll be willing to go to bat for you. If not, you can inform them you'll let people know not to purchase a vehicle there since they mis-represented an item they sold you.

This wouldn't be so bad if the part itself wasn't so expensive and the labor to replace it even more expensive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well according to Acura care as far as suspension is concerned the following things are covered:

• Upper and Lower Control Arms
  • Control Arm Shafts and Bushings
  • Upper and Lower Ball Joints
  • Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings
  • Coil Springs
  • Spindles
  • Wheel Bearings
  • MacPherson Strut Assembly
  • Shock Absorbers

Coverage probably differs outside of the US.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well according to Acura care as far as suspension is concerned the following things are covered:

• Upper and Lower Control Arms
  • Control Arm Shafts and Bushings
  • Upper and Lower Ball Joints
  • Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings
  • Coil Springs
  • Spindles
  • Wheel Bearings
  • MacPherson Strut Assembly
  • Shock Absorbers

Coverage probably differs outside of the US.
Valuable Information, Cardude.
Thank you very much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts