Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The active dampers are a feature on the early Gen2 Sport models that later became known as the Advance model. Pretty sure the new A-Spec would have it also. The rest have normal struts/shocks. The active suspension cars are stupid expensive to replace those items when they break, like $1,200-$1,500 a corner based on other threads here.
2014 MDX TECH SHAWD 80000-Thought I was in need of replacing front struts. Long story, but I didnt. I was at a local garage Ive used for many years. Garage must have called 10 places and could not get struts from anywhere but Acura dealer, 60miles away. For some reason would not buy them from the dealer. When I called the dealer price was $1400 replace both fronts.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I would think switching out the rims to the 18" base version might soften up the ride a bit. This is assuming you have the 20" tech/Adv rims now. Probably the combo of 18" rims and hybrid or Adv models active dampers on "Comfort/Normal" would give you the softest ride available. Maybe, check into 17" aftermarket rims would also help?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would think switching out the rims to the 18" base version might soften up the ride a bit. This is assuming you have the 20" tech/Adv rims now. Probably the combo of 18" rims and hybrid or Adv models active dampers on "Comfort/Normal" would give you the softest ride available. Maybe, check into 17" aftermarket rims would also help?
18" wheels will require a higher profile tire, which usually will help soften the ride. You will have a taller and usually more compliant sidewall which in effect is another shock absorber. I've had the experience of going larger in wheels and lower profile on other cars. I do it for better handling, but yes it did stiffen the ride. Now, different tires can have a positive or negative effect as well, but the difference is likely to be more subtle than going smaller rim and higher profile tires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just a note I switched daughters camry 18” rims from oem to good year max life and they felt much softer I liked it she didn’t even notice...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts