Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group. I have a 2012 MDX with Advance package. I got the vehicle with a leaking shock. I replaced it with the same ADS shock with a genuine Honda replacement for a reasonable $340 with shipping. Now instead of bottoming out oh, it's just clacking a little bit. Not sure if it's still the shock or if I am now hearing something else because I'm not hearing the defective shock. The other shock seems like it is leaking and will probably need to be replaced soon. Does anyone know if anyone rebuilds these shocks? I'm sure that all they need is a new seal or two and some magnetic fluid and I would rather not pay another $340. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Havent heard of a rebuilder for those.. What a lot of people do is swap the standard base shock over the Magnetics, It works fine as the base shocks sit in between the magnetic shock settings..

Now if you want to keep the magnetic shocks its an OEM Only item and this is one of those items we recommend researching before buying the X with that specific package as its a huge burden to maintenance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know if a light comes on after disconnection on the 2012? I read that some people haven't had the light come on, some have.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My ADS shocks were not leaking, but I heard clunking sounds ONLY when I was driving very slow in parking lots or over speed bumps. Acura replaced all 4 under an extended warranty.

You bought a shock for $340...what was the part number, which one was it (front rear left or right)?
I'd like to do a search.

I see (Acura online prices) that the 2012 front ADS are $941 each and the rear ADS are $361 each (part# 52610-stx-a55). Full retail fronts is $1,345.60 each and each rear is $516

If you have any electronic shock disconnected, the MDX's computer will know that it's missing and you will get a notification on the MID navigation screen.

To get to the code...Press and hold "Cancel + Map Guide + Menu" at the same time.
Use the bid dial to select "xm/hip"
Then select "Diagnostics"
View your list and delete if you wish.
You exit out by repeatedly selecting "return" at the top of the screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
52610-stx-a55 rear shock. Local Acura dealer near NYC said this is the correct part number when I gave him my VIN. But the part that came off was 52610-stx-a542-??.. don't remember the last two digits. He said he couldn't find it in his system though with just the a542 I gave him. I bought it new from a seller on eBay. It was new in the green bag. Apparently they deal with genuine OEM products often

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
If you dont put the resistor loads at the end of the Magnetic Shocks connectors then yes, You will have a nasty warning light on the dashboard… Done properly the swap with the resistors it wont display a warning sign of any kind as the system will still think you are riding the magnetic shocks using the resistors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You bought a shock for $340...what was the part number, which one was it (front rear left or right)?
I'd like to do a search.

I see (Acura online prices) that the 2012 front ADS are $941 each and the rear ADS are $361 each (part# 52610-stx-a55). Full retail fronts is $1,345.60 each and each rear is $516
That $941 is for the whole assembly. I'm pretty sure you can replace just the shock itself. It's a lot cheaper if you do. See here:

My ADS shocks aren't leaking but they sometimes are a little clunky on harsh bumps. My dealer said this was the part I need.

BTW, here is the rear shock for around $340:

·
Registered
24 Posts
We just purchased a 2013 Elite. Its not on our driveway yet. Because of this. When the dealer did their final inspection prior to handing it to us they found a leaking shock. So one rear is getting replaced.

I know my honda's. But this is one area I just overlooked. Lets hope these last a bit. But just looking at the cost and knowing now there is an option I'm doing the swap to conventional shocks/springs.

My ML has adaptive air suspension and each corner costs $1,200 and there are no options but to stick with the OEM setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that their MDX rocks back and forth while it is standing still after coming to a stop?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I got a bum shock. I will verify with inspection if it's just something new or the shock i put on. No more clunking like it's bottoming out but now there's a clacking like something is loose

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok two partner here:
1. I looked up the resistors but didn't find any online.
2. Do the electronic shocks have to be programmed by a mechanic in some way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced my 2 rear shock on my 2007 elite and I put 2 ohm 10 watt resistor and since that time I don t see anylight in my cluster ;)
I kept the front ads shock !

(excuse me for my bad English im a french Canadian ;) )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that their MDX rocks back and forth while it is standing still after coming to a stop?
I get that too! I thought it was just me but yeah there is like this settling swaying back and forth when braking unless I very gently come to a stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the cheap shocks and the resistors... measure with volt meter 2.1 and the light stayed off for a day? The boom back on... any ideas? Wife doesn’t like the light but like the $900 cheaper fix... rides great. 2010 mdx.

My ADS shocks were not leaking, but I heard clunking sounds ONLY when I was driving very slow in parking lots or over speed bumps. Acura replaced all 4 under an extended warranty.

I'd like to do a search.

If you have any electronic shock disconnected, the MDX's computer will know that it's missing and you will get a notification on the MID navigation screen.

To get to the code...Press and hold "Cancel + Map Guide + Menu" at the same time.
Use the bid dial to select "xm/hip"
Then select "Diagnostics"
View your list and delete if you wish.
You exit out by repeatedly selecting "return" at the top of the screen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts