Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two weeks of ownership, my MDX makes a significant "click" when the key is in the on position and the break pedal is depressed. The sound is comming from the shift lock silnoid. It makes the sound when retracting a pin to permit you to shift out of park. The first two weeks it didn't do this. My dealer says I just wore off the grease and I got a "all Acuras do it" reply, with another MDX pulled into the car bay as a demo to prove their point. Anybody else have this or provide more info?

I searched for shift lock click and variations of such and got no hits so I'm starting a new thread on the issue.:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has it ever stuck in neutral???

I have had my MDX for a week, and every once in awhile it will refuse to go past neutral when shifting from drive to park. I have to wait for the click of the Shift Lock (1 or 2 second delay) before completing the shift to park. It has only happened a few times and the brake is firmly depressed each time. Has this happened to you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CaveCanem:

Well, it's hard to say. I think it may have once or twice at most but it's such a barely noticable thing, in a second or a fraction of such, that I'm not sure it really happened or maybe it was just my perception of the shifting. Actually I didn't notice the shift lock even coming into play when doing anything but shifting out of P. I only hear the distinct "click" of the silnoid when depressing the brake while in P and the key in the ON position.

I think the shift lock is for comming out of P and that's it. The issue you mention I don't think has anything to do with it. If your D to P with a pause at N is as slight as mine was, a fraction of a second and only once or twice at most, then I wouldn't worry about it, and I'm a very picky person about such to be saying such. Anything more than that then there might be a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This problem you would definitely notice.

MikeyH

This problem you would definitely notice. You expect the shift to end in park, but when it abruptly hits a wall in neutral, and then you have to wait a second or two for the shift lock click before moving it to park, it's something hard to ignore. Keep in mind that a normal shift from Drive to Park is very smooth and only takes about a second.

I know what your thinking, that I am trying to slam it in to park before the brake pedal is firmly depressed. On the contrary, I am extremely gentle with my $40,000 MDX. I tried a few tests by holding the brake pedal down for about 10 seconds before shifting with 2 fingers from Drive to Park repeatedly. Most of the time it was smooth and easy, but a few times it seemed to catch the shift lock sleeping. I would have to stop the sticks forward progress, before the shift lock could release.

I think the shift lock works in both directions. 1. To make sure the brake will keep the car from lurching out of Park and into Reverse, ie accidental shift or child's shift, and 2. To ensure the vehicle has stopped completely before going from Drive to Reverse or Park. It would be a very bad thing to be driving down the highway, and have one of the kids shift from Drive to Reverse or Park. A very, very bad thing!! :( :(

So the good news is that you don't have the problem, at least not yet; and that I have not had this problem for the last couple of days, and hopefully never again. The bad news is I am still searching for a solution, just in case it's needed.

'til later,

J.T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CaveCanem:

You know I'm not certain about anything in this issue except the "click" I get when pressing the brake pedal, the car is running and in park. In this setting with the car running and in park I can tap the brake pedal repeatedly and make the shift lock go "click" "click" "click" with repeated, constant depression of the pedal. I have come to accept it as inherent in the car as I've heard another MDX do it and one other person on this forum mention it. BTW, I don't think you ever mentioned if yours did this exact same thing.

I quit monkeying around with cars many years ago and now I'm just a computer propeller head for a living, so all suggestions I've said so far about your issue has been just speculation on my part, maybe just outright guessing.

The dealer service guy told me that the shift lock silnoid has "grease" on its pin, and that it just wore off on mine and starting making a noise, although it is still perfectly functional. The first two weeks it never made a sound, although the pedal sometimes had to be pushed down with added force for the shifter to come out of P. Now that it makes a "click", the shifter comes out of P with less pressure on the pedal.

All of this leads me to believe that things are just loosening up a bit from being so tight at first delivery. Like grease in some parts isn't so thick now and things are working easier although a bit noiser. Maybe this is contributing to your issue? If this has any merit, your issue should disappear very soon if it hasn't already. Just speculation based on what I've heard from my Acura service guy. If yours repeats the problem after, say, another 3 or 4 weeks I would take in for service, however I know an intermitant problem like this is going to be tough at the dealer because it won't do it when you take it in and the service guy won't believe you.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Does this describe what you hear, MikeyH?:

I've noticed an electro-mechanical click when I press the brake pedal. I've only heard it when I'm just starting the car, but I don't know whether that's because it's masked by other noises when driving or not. It sounds like a relay, and it's located in the center console, rearward from the gear shift lever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shift lock silnoid

jonnygoodboy, that's basically it as you describe. I'm sure were all talking about the shift lock silnoid, which when the car is running and in "P", will retract a pin in the console when the brake pedal is depressed. This is a lock feature that requires you to have your foot on the brake to permit you to shift from "P" to "D5".

I'm convinced at this point that the shift lock silnoid in the MDX was not specifically designed to be silent. The result is a silnoid design that inadvertly makes a significant "click" when activated. It doesn't effect the function one bit. I guess for $41,000 my expectations are extremely high, like maybe the vehicle should do sexual favors as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation...

...and let me know when you find the vehicle that will do the kind of favors you describe. :2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
People here have described the click when the car is in park or 'running'.

Does that mean you hear the click (the silnoid is retracting the pin) when brakeing during normal driving, as well as when shifting out of park?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, I noticed something yesterday that I'm gonna call the dealer about today. First time that I break after putting gear lever either in "R" or "D", I could hear pretty loud clunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts