Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating buying the burlewood shift knob.

Is it worth the $90? Does it install easily, look good, fit hand well?

I would appreciate any input from those who have made this change, thank you.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
wit said:

Is it worth $90? Probably not, but I bought one and very much prefer it to the stock one. It will install easily (Requires only a little elbow grease). It fits the hand quite well, and best of all it looks good. Matches the other faux wood surfaces quite well.

I would recommend it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I know $90 might be a little steep, but I saw a picture of one installed and it looked very good. I think that I will order one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
wit said:

Go to Tim, it's cheaper. I think...

Yes it is very well worth it, asthetic wise. Especially if you have Saddle interior. That black leather knob is a bit outa place in there IMHO.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Go For It

I agree with Nanali.

I have a pic of mine currently running in the gallery section under post "T-imp Mobile"

It feels better and looks great with the Saddle interior.

If money isn't the issue, go for it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Burlwood

I replaced my burlwood shiftnob with a Type-S shiftnob. I'll sell it to you for a lot less then a new one, just email me at [email protected] .

·
Registered
93 Posts
wit said:

For you yes, the black "leather" shifter makes no sense with your interior. Acrua does some really strange things from time to time.
Install is easy, but see other posts concerning the visible thread problem. (A little bit of black electrical tape makes the threads dissapear into the shadow and that was my fix.)

I got in on the TIM's September sale and felt better about the price...but anything to get rid of the original shifter.:11:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I'd recommend it too, even with a black interior. It's attractive and fits well with the vehicle. The wood match is not precise with the 2001/2002 (don't know about the 2003), but it still works out well. It's a luxury at $90, but something you touch and appreciate each time you drive the vehicle.

I have an extra one too (very long story), but rather than sell it here, decided to selfishly maximize my revenue by putting it up on eBay (owners here understand value too well :D ).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a problem with threads showing at the bottom of the wood knob? Does it fit right?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thats normal, but should not be noticable. Make sure it is screwed all the way, tight.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
wit said:

In a word "Yes" However, you can get a nice burlwood shift knob for about half that price if you look around. I'm pleased with mine, and you'll like the "finished"look yourself.:4:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I guess I am one of the few that like their leather wrapped shift knob. I have an ebony interior. I can see how the ebony leather knob in the saddle interior can look a little out of place. Acura couldn't find some "scraps" of saddle leather to make some shift knobs? I have the wood trim meter panel on its way(thanx tim;) )and think that will make the interior look more upscale. I don't care that it is fake wood either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a saddle interior and like the black leather shift knob. It is less noticeable against the black of the shift face than a saddle knob would be. I would get the burled wood knob but for the threads showing after installation. Black tape or a rubber gasket after spending $90 bucks for the knob seems like a let down.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
E. Fudd said:
I have a saddle interior and like the black leather shift knob. It is less noticeable against the black of the shift face than a saddle knob would be. I would get the burled wood knob but for the threads showing after installation. Black tape or a rubber gasket after spending $90 bucks for the knob seems like a let down.
You can also unscrew the stainless ferrule from the burl knob, and insert a black o-ring. Several of us did that and it looks just fine. It extends the total length of the knob just enough to cover the threads.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3308&highlight=oring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts