Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won a shift knob ( Burlwood) from a ebay seller. I've had nothing but good experiances since I was always carefull. I saw this shift knob and it was ending I entered my bid and won. Now reading from the description what would you think (btw this is the largest I could make it so the board would allow me to u/l)

edit heres the link

edit 2 LINK IS NOW DEAD

Right here

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you look at the pictures it looks like it's OEM from Canada at least, it even has a accesories leaflet as a backround

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were problems getting it it arrived 4 weeks later, turn out that it was label all correctly except for the state. The seller did help and locate it. But when I got it when I got back from vacation and opened it up I was happy. I inspected it and realized this wasnt a OEM, it was 3rd party. Then I realized it wasn't even wood. IT WAS PLASTIC WITH A DESIGN PRINTED ON IT.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked and looked and found this to confirm it was plastic

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Doesn't even look like the OEM shiftknob in the pics; it's longer and the OEM doesn't have the finger cutout deals. Unfortunately, can't read the "as advertised" text. Can u post a link to the auction?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And part of the design was missing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I thought oh well my fault for not asking questions. SO I went ahead and installed basically it had a nylon insert and then three allen screws to secure the and compress the insert to the threads on the shifter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also had a ring to cover the brass section. The ring in already on the shifter

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Screw it on. Sorry the pic is blurry ( stupid autofocus)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Screw in the allen head screws and screw on the collar and voila.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last Picture. Well it look good but I am disappointed it wasnt wood. I guess 45 dollars isnt too bad for a 3rd party shift knob. It does have a good feel has notches for fingers and thumb. It would be perfect for a manual. So all in all its my fault for not asking questions. I was too excited on a closing auction. Soooo Not bad for a plastic shifter. I was disappointed it wasnt wood. oh well, hell it completes the faux wood of the interior:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree

I also purchased this from eBay and guy from Canada. I paid more than you did though.

IT SUCKS.

I ended up getting original from Tim and it is awesome.

Trust me onthis one - go with Tim or keep original.

The Canada one also rotates if you try. It is not solid.

Goo dluck

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most like I will get OEM, but I used the longer allen screw and compressed it enough so it doesnt move it solid as a rock right now.
I just want everyone to know its not WOOD its plastic and it 3rd party.

·
Registered
351 Posts
GREAT

This is definitely one time where I almost wish I didn't spend so much time on this board! Just kidding. I too bought that same knob about a month ago, and have been perfectly happy with it. However, I hadn't looked at it close enough to see that it actually wasn't wood. But I know now. It's not a big deal, but now I'll look at it differently. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. However, if you think about it--- the trim isn't real wood either. Oh well! :rolleyes: ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: GREAT

dmyles said:
However, I hadn't looked at it close enough to see that it actually wasn't wood. But I know now. It's not a big deal, but now I'll look at it differently. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. However, if you think about it--- the trim isn't real wood either. Oh well! :rolleyes: ;)
Sorry :eek: , maybe I should change the subject of this thread to "spoiler alert for those who bought shifter from ebay guy from Canada" . :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Re: GREAT

Warzau said:

Sorry :eek: , maybe I should change the subject of this thread to "spoiler alert for those who bought shifter from ebay guy from Canada" . :)
No big deal. I'm over it now. I'm still gonna keep the knob. But when I read your post, I heard Homer Simpson in my head.... DOH! :3: :eek:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I guess I should have read this BEFORE I bought it from the guy in Canada. At least I only paid $22 plus $9 shipping. I was stupid enough to think it was the same as the Acura one. Wrong.

The thing had a cheap Acura sticker on it that I removed. It doesn't look too bad but I think it will be loose before too long. A cheap ripoff is all it is.

Dumb, dumb, dumb... waste of money on my part. I thought about leaving negative feedback for the guy but he didn't leave feedback for me (on purpose I'm sure) and he'd probably make up some negative feedback for me if I left it for him.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow the thread has been brought back.

Anywho then leave neutral feedback say if the transaction was good or not, but say you are disappointed with the product.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought the same accessory from the same source. With use and time the unit had a hard time staying in place and started slipping down, after many readjustments it would refuse to ever stay in place again. The end result is that it ends up scratching the surface below it as it keeps sliding all the way down. Cheap indeed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hmm, I have a similar knob by the same seller. I thought it was wood until the knob seperated from the brass recently. Took care of that with epoxy.

Anyway, I like the feel much better than the leather knob and I only paid about $30 for it, including shipping. It matches the plood interior of the X perfectly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts