Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I can't shift the gear out of Parking. The brake lights are on & I hear a click when stepping on the brake. I even tried the manual release method and still could not shift it out of P. Did anyone has the same issue and what you did you do? My garage entrance is on the side of my house so even I call a tow truck they won't be able to get it out. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Shift linkage must be really stuck...
Use this to try and fix the issue:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Good thought on the seized shift linkage pivot, but I've had that completely seized and it would still shift out of Park. Maybe the "manual release" procedure needs another try. I'm thinking the brake interlock isn't working.

But if you can't get it, tow truck drivers have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves. They could jack up the vehicle, slide roller dollies under the wheels, and push it out of the garage with one hand.

BTW, once you know what to aim for, that linkage pivot can be sprayed with lubricant from above ( under the hood ). It's messy that way, and a good smear of grease is a better long-term solution, but it's not all that much fun to pull apart the fender liner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick response. I just tried the manual release again and even though I heard a click I still could not shift gears. Tomorrow, I'll get the pb plaster and will try to spray from above. I am hoping that will resolve the problem. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It wouldn't be difficult to release the end of the cable at the transmission (which can get really sticky, but probably not THAT sticky). You just have to pull the inner fender liner back a bit and pop the cable off the lever it moves. Then you can move the lever back to neutral (or anything other than park) so the vehicle can be pushed/pulled out of its position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts