Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X is making clicking sound when doing a sharp left or right turn with moderate acceleration in this cold weather. Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Can you pinpoint the location of the sound? Kinda hard to guess without much information. But a wild stab in the dark is CV shaft.

Reactions: 07J36

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you pinpoint the location of the sound? Kinda hard to guess without much information. But a wild stab in the dark is CV shaft.

Actually let’s me take it back. The clicking sound came on when I gave some acceleration while doing sharp turn left or right. It does not make this clicking sound before I left for vacation 2 weeks ago. I parked the car in the garage and I left for vacation for two weeks and when I came back and drove the car today and I discovered this problem. Is it because the -10 to 10 degrees F weather is causing this problem if the car is not driven for more than 15 days?

·
Registered
733 Posts
How many miles do you have on it and when is the last time you changed the rear differential fluid?

I had this really odd clicking / rubbing sound only when turning on acceleration that started shortly after getting full new set of tires. Thinking it was the tire install I went back to the shop that installed it and we drove around and they could not figure it out and said it was not the tires. They called in someone else and he knew immediately the rear differential fluid needed to be changed - I changed it and the sound went away. Now like clockwork once that fluid starts to wear I hear a clicking or rubbing sound when I turn. It’s a very distinctive sound that I have heard in all my rear diff Honda’s.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles do you have on it and when is the last time you changed the rear differential fluid?

I had this really odd clicking / rubbing sound only when turning on acceleration that started shortly after getting full new set of tires. Thinking it was the tire install I went back to the shop that installed it and we drove around and they could not figure it out and said it was not the tires. They called in someone else and he knew immediately the rear differential fluid needed to be changed - I changed it and the sound went away. Now like clockwork once that fluid starts to wear I hear a clicking or rubbing sound when I turn. It’s a very distinctive sound that I have heard in all my rear diff Honda’s.

Replaced rear diff at 68500 miles. But why my X did not making this sound before I went to vacation? I suspect it has to do that the car haven’t been driven for 2 weeks and the weather is around 5 degrees F for the past two weeks. What do you think? I will find out if it’s still making the same sound when the temp is back in the upper 20F

·
Registered
733 Posts
Could be anything, you have to track
Down the actual sound. Is it front or rear and is the clicking a ping or like a ratchet click?

I have been in -1 degree weather all of last week and I haven’t noticed any extra steering issues - only my battery is slow cranking.

How long ago was the differential changed?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be anything, you have to track
Down the actual sound. Is it front or rear and is the clicking a ping or like a ratchet click?

I have been in -1 degree weather all of last week and I haven’t noticed any extra steering issues - only my battery is slow cranking.

How long ago was the differential changed?

I will record the sound. Not sure from the front or back. Replaced rear diff on June 2017.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok the weather temperature is in the 20s F and I don’t have the clicking sound anymore BUT if I do a hard left turn while give it a high acceleration I can 1-3 pings sounds from the front right.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe the outer CV joint. Inspect the boots for grease leakage.

No leak. I read on acurazine forum that the grease inside the boots tend to get a little too thick during very cold weather, like below 20 degrees F. I noticed clicking noise again tonight when the temp dropped below 15F. The remedy is not to push the acceleration pedal too hard when turning in the extreme cold weather to prevent wearing on the CV joints.

·
Registered
864 Posts
No leak. I read on acurazine forum that the grease inside the boots tend to get a little too thick during very cold weather, like below 20 degrees F. I noticed clicking noise again tonight when the temp dropped below 15F. The remedy is not to push the acceleration pedal too hard when turning in the extreme cold weather to prevent wearing on the CV joints.

Dont worry about it. I have this clinking since it was basically new. It is only happening when i turn right, on harder acceleration and it has to be colder than 20f or so...
And it only happens on first or second acceleration, when the car is cold, after that sound is gone.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont worry about it. I have this clinking since it was basically new. It is only happening when i turn right, on harder acceleration and it has to be colder than 20f or so...

And it only happens on first or second acceleration, when the car is cold, after that sound is gone.

Good to hear you have the same problem since it was new. Maybe I have these problem all along since the car was new but didn’t pay too much attention or not driving the car hard enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts