Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

SH-AWD vs. Subaru symmetric AWD vs. 4runner

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  skinny2 
#1 ·
Just need your opinion, thanks

Hi

I'd like your unbiased opinion to make up my mind. Thanks in advanced.

I have 08 MDX and 11 subaru outback. I am living in a snow country. Both of them have very good AWD.

I am thinking to sell 2011 2.5i subaru outback (33k mile) to buy used 2002 Lexus LX470 w/ 120k mile. Outback is very noisy and has less power. I like Lexus's quiet cabin and off-road capacity. but it drinks lots of gas. Do you think it is a good idea for trade 2011 outback to 2002 Lexus LX for the same cash??

I am also wondering how these AWD of both MDX and Subaru compar to 4by4 of Lexus LX or even Land cruiser?

I would love to know your opinion.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Lexus requires some maintenance.

The wheel bearings are a regularly scheduled maintenance item on the LX470 and the LandCruiser. Aside from the gas, and the automatic suspension of the LX, I would be looking for a LandCruiser of of the 2006 or 2007 with as many low miles as I could afford on a LandCruiser. The auto shocks will fail on the LX to the tune of almost $1000.00 per corner. That's pricey. The LandCruiser doesn't have that. Those were the last two years of the LandCruiser 100 model and they are bullet proof. They require some regular maintenance, and drink gas, however they will get you through any environment safely and nicely.

Randy B

#4 ·
You'll have to ask Google.

I'm not in snow country, so I do not have any real firsthand knowledge, My use has been minimal with family experience up North in these vehicles during short visits. I can tell you that the Toyota/Lexus has a serious AWD/4WD system in comparison to the AWD of the Subaru. Mind you they are going about things differently to get the job done. The Subaru is no slouch, just not capable of what a LandCruiser/LX470 is. And it was not designed to do what a LC/LX470 is designed to do.

Randy B

#5 ·
I am thinking to sell 2011 2.5i subaru outback (33k mile) to buy used 2002 Lexus LX470 w/ 120k mile. Outback is very noisy and has less power. I like Lexus's quiet cabin and off-road capacity. but it drinks lots of gas. Do you think it is a good idea for trade 2011 outback to 2002 Lexus LX for the same cash??
wow, what? Even trade for a car that's 9 years older ...

LX470 is a real truck with a separate frame, it's in a completely different category than any Subaru or Acura, it's closer to a Tahoe or Expedition with real off-road ground clearance

I live in real snow country and I had an Audi A4 with a full-time, rear-biased AWD system like Subaru's and I loved it. But if you want a truck, you want a truck, don't compare it to a car

#6 ·
wow, what? Even trade for a car that's 9 years older ...

LX470 is a real truck with a separate frame, it's in a completely different category than any Subaru or Acura, it's closer to a Tahoe or Expedition with real off-road ground clearance

I live in real snow country and I had an Audi A4 with a full-time, rear-biased AWD system like Subaru's and I loved it. But if you want a truck, you want a truck, don't compare it to a car
Thanks blacksheep. I was thinking Lexus 4WD is better than Subaru and mdx in snowy road . I am not sure. That is why I asked for help. I really don't care it is truck or car. Thanks.

#7 ·
Thanks blacksheep. I was thinking Lexus 4WD is better than Subaru and mdx in snowy road . I am not sure. That is why I asked for help. I really don't care it is truck or car. Thanks.
They're all very good systems. Which one is better for normal snow driving will come down to which has better tires. In very extreme conditions with similar tires, the LX will be the more capable machine. We had a GX470 and loved it but it's very truck-ish and sloppy handling for summer driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.