Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
1,122 Posts
Wiper inserts? Thats a DIY job for maybe 25 dollars in parts for good ones
Battery anyicorrosion kit? Never heard of that, but Im guessing a 99.5% pure dealer profit.
Rotate and balance tires? My tire dealer does that for free.
Fuel treatment? Another gymmick to generate profits.
I would only allow and pay for oil, filter, and rear diff service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery anyicorrosion kit? Never heard of that, but Im guessing a 99.5% pure dealer profit.
yeah . Not feeling good about this. Ideally I do research and take decisions. This time because of time constraint went with it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i hope this is just an estimate and you didn't actually pay them this much?
$150 for rear diff is actually not bad, if this is a BMW. I did my MDX last weekend in an hr and $40 for oil
150 for rear d
i hope this is just an estimate and you didn't actually pay them this much?
$150 for rear diff is actually not bad, if this is a BMW. I did my MDX last weekend in an hr and $40 for oil
150 for rear differential? 30 bucks in fluid, 20 min to drain and fill. I do myself. That's absolutely ridiculous how much these dealers charge. Same with all the fluids on this car. Super easy.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
It's done and paid for now but if you would've asked before doing it I would've said -

Your dealer is upselling you (aka selling you unneeded service, unless you requested it) with -

- Install fuel treatment: This is not necessary at all. If you really think you need it, which you don't, you could buy a bottle of the stuff at an auto parts store for not much money and dump it in the tank yourself.

- Add anti-corrosion pads: I guess they mean adding little felt pads that one can put on a battery terminal that cost about a dollar at an auto parts store. It's not actually needed. Just check your battery terminals every now and then and clean off any corrosion with baking soda and water - it's fun to watch the reaction.

- Rotate and balance 4 tires: The tires should be rotated every 7500 or so miles but it's not necessary to balance them when rotating unless there's some balance issue you've noticed - i.e. vibration/shakiness that's due to an out of balance tire. I've never needed to rebalance tires on any vehicle for the life of the tires and that's over the course of many decades. fyi - a tire rotation is an easy DIY if you're so inclined. I rotate tires myself (quicker than taking it someplace to do it).

- Perform 4 wheel alignment: This isn't necessary unless you've noticed abnormal tire wear or have a noticeable tracking issue or have had front steering components worked on. I haven't done an alignment on my 2014 with 93K miles because it's not needed it. Moving tires/wheels around doesn't affect alignment so that's not a cause to have an alignment done.

- Oil/oil filter: This is an easy DIY if you're so inclined. I always change my own. Full syn Mobile 1 (or other major brands) cost about $25 or so and I use an Acura/Honda oil filter which is around $7 or so at the dealer. However, dealers often have coupons and such available if you want to use a dealer. They get you in with a reasonable oil change service then upsell you on this unnecessary stuff you indicated.

- Rear diff fluid: This is an easy DIY if you're so inclined - even easier than the engine oil. I forget what the fluid costs but it's not much and I use the Acura fluid.

- Wiper blade inserts: This is an easy DIY if you're so inclined and the rubber blades are cheap and are fine without a need to replace the whole arm unless your arms are causing issues.

I didn't see it on the list but while I'm at it I want to point out that the engine and cabin air filters are also very easy DIY items to change.

It's a good thing you're a VIP so you could get that discount. :;

On the bright side - now you know and next time can be prepared to say 'no' to these unnecessary service upsells and if you're unsure you now know to ask here (or others knowledgeable about vehicle mechanics) first.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's done and paid for now but if you would've asked before doing it I would've said -

Your dealer is upselling you (aka selling you unneeded service, unless you requested it) with -

- Install fuel treatment: This is not necessary at all. If you really think you need it, which you don't, you could buy a bottle of the stuff at an auto parts store for not much money and dump it in the tank yourself.

- Add anti-corrosion pads: I guess they mean adding little felt pads that one can put on a battery terminal that cost about a dollar at an auto parts store. It's not actually needed. Just check your battery terminals every now and then and clean off any corrosion with baking soda and water - it's fun to watch the reaction.

- Rotate and balance 4 tires: The tires should be rotated every 7500 or so miles but it's not necessary to balance them when rotating unless there's some balance issue you've noticed - i.e. vibration/shakiness that's due to an out of balance tire. I've never needed to rebalance tires on any vehicle for the life of the tires and that's over the course of many decades. fyi - a tire rotation is an easy DIY if you're so inclined. I rotate tires myself (quicker than taking it someplace to do it).

- Perform 4 wheel alignment: This isn't necessary unless you've noticed abnormal tire wear or have a noticeable tracking issue or have had front steering components worked on. I haven't done an alignment on my 2014 with 93K miles because it's not needed it. Moving tires/wheels around doesn't affect alignment so that's not a cause to have an alignment done.

- Oil/oil filter: This is an easy DIY if you're so inclined. I always change my own. Full syn Mobile 1 (or other major brands) cost about $25 or so and I use an Acura/Honda oil filter which is around $7 or so at the dealer. However, dealers often have coupons and such available if you want to use a dealer. They get you in with a reasonable oil change service then upsell you on this unnecessary stuff you indicated.

- Rear diff fluid: This is an easy DIY if you're so inclined - even easier than the engine oil. I forget what the fluid costs but it's not much and I use the Acura fluid.

- Wiper blade inserts: This is an easy DIY if you're so inclined and the rubber blades are cheap and are fine without a need to replace the whole arm unless your arms are causing issues.

I didn't see it on the list but while I'm at it I want to point out that the engine and cabin air filters are also very easy DIY items to change.

It's a good thing you're a VIP so you could get that discount. :;

On the bright side - now you know and next time can be prepared to say 'no' to these unnecessary service upsells and if you're unsure you now know to ask here (or others knowledgeable about vehicle mechanics) first.
I have lifetime alignment on mine at Firestone tires and have it done every 10k miles you be surprised how much it actually goes out of alignment every 10,000 is just a small little adjustment but then again California roads are jacked up. The only time I've had to have the wheels rebalanced again is if you wind up losing one of those stick-on weights they do come off. I use Eneos Synthetic DPSF and it's cheaper than Acura. They are actually the Acura OE manufacturer of the fluid. I bought my car used and when I changed all the fluids right away I noticed they put ATF in the rear end which is what the older models called for originally. Sounds like the op is not a car savvy person

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
1,122 Posts
Sadly as I have gotten older and my vertigo has gotten worse I find it nearly impossible to do the minor under the car stuff I used to do with no problem. So for me its dealer. BTW my dealer is cheaper than jiffy lube.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As mentioned, you have gained valuable experience in getting a vehicle serviced.

I'm skeptical about most everything, so I am wondering if a dealer that would over sell like this would really perform all the services, particularly the allignment and balance.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have lifetime alignment on mine at Firestone tires and have it done every 10k miles you be surprised how much it actually goes out of alignment every 10,000 is just a small little adjustment but then again California roads are jacked up.
I'm in California also but the south end (San Diego). As bushings wear alignment checks will vary somewhat so I suppose they could 're-align' it but my guess is that if they checked it again a week later it'd show some difference from the week before but IMO none of it is enough to warrant going to the bother of an alignment if there are no symptoms of abnormal tire wear or pulling to one side.

I'm skeptical about most everything, so I am wondering if a dealer that would over sell like this would really perform all the services, particularly the allignment and balance.
I agree. At the least, I'd not trust anything that dealer says. It's tie to find another dealer or at least another SA who isn't trying to add unneeded services. It's good to question everything and to pay attention to what the MID and owner manual actually state is needed for service and that doesn't include fuel additives, felt battery pads, or alignments (unless symptomatic).

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,183 Posts
Few questions for you. What in the world is Anti-Corrosion kit? Clearly they found a sucker for their $280 package. Next time try a Honda dealer. The Acura dealer in South FL ran by Mike Chan does wiper blade changes within the $108 OC & TR package.

My dealer has adds out for 109 oil change. I do it myself. Sacramento CA
Ehh, thats what they charging here in Florida over multiple dealers (central and south Florida if you wanted to be accurate).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm in California also but the south end (San Diego). As bushings wear alignment checks will vary somewhat so I suppose they could 're-align' it but my guess is that if they checked it again a week later it'd show some difference from the week before but IMO none of it is enough to warrant going to the bother of an alignment if there are no symptoms of abnormal tire wear or pulling to one side.

I agree. At the least, I'd not trust anything that dealer says. It's tie to find another dealer or at least another SA who isn't trying to add unneeded services. It's good to question everything and to pay attention to what the MID and owner manual actually state is needed for service and that doesn't include fuel additives, felt battery pads, or alignments (unless symptomatic).

I wouldn't go every week, but the tires do wear better. The Acura goes through tires fast regardless with SH-AWD. The AWD is pretty active on the Twisties which it sees often. Hwy 20 from hwy 49 to I-80

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like others here, I've done almost all of items myself over the years, but also realize we're in a very unique dealership-survival period where they will nickel and dime you on everything to keep the lights on. There are examples of a local Acura dealership here in OC that was charging $5 for test drives. So there's that.

It all depends on what you asked for regarding service. The notable service items that you got done are:
  • Oil and filter change (I don't see it mention synthetic fluid though)
  • Tire rotation
  • 4-wheel alignment
  • Drain and fill rear differential fluid
The one that sticks out to me is the 4-wheel alignment. That alone for an MDX can cost around $160 - $200 at your local dealer.The rear diff is usually around $130, so you're around or over $300 bucks and then add oil/filter, tire rotation, and the extra crap that they always try to sneak in and I think $440 is about what I would expect from a dealer. I don't think you got ripped off considering what service was done on your vehicle.

That being said, the big question is whether you wanted all of that service done...so what did you go in for?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like others here, I've done almost all of items myself over the years, but also realize we're in a very unique dealership-survival period where they will nickel and dime you on everything to keep the lights on. There are examples of a local Acura dealership here in OC that was charging $5 for test drives. So there's that.

It all depends on what you asked for regarding service. The notable service items that you got done are:
  • Oil and filter change (I don't see it mention synthetic fluid though)
  • Tire rotation
  • 4-wheel alignment
  • Drain and fill rear differential fluid
The one that sticks out to me is the 4-wheel alignment. That alone for an MDX can cost around $160 - $200 at your local dealer.The rear diff is usually around $130, so you're around or over $300 bucks and then add oil/filter, tire rotation, and the extra crap that they always try to sneak in and I think $440 is about what I would expect from a dealer. I don't think you got ripped off considering what service was done on your vehicle.

That being said, the big question is whether you wanted all of that service done...so what did you go in for?
Any 0Wxx viscosity is synthetic. Conventional grades start at 5w-20 and up.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
At least when I first bought my 2014 MDX new, Acura branded oil at the dealership parts department was available in 0W-20 as a blend - not full synthetic. In auto parts stores I found 0W-20 only as full syn and since I preferred full syn anyway I use Mobile 1 full syn 0W-20 for the changes. Nevertheless 0W-20 is available as less than a full syn - at least at the dealership.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ah, I see the line item now, MOBSUPERSYN0W20. That being said, they only charged $5.68 a quart. I haven't seen that price (at least here in CA) in over 5 years. Online, like Amazon, doesn't have that price. It's usually around $8-9/quart.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts