Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Aftermarket service contracts (warranties) are almost always garbage. Don't bother with them.

Assuming the vehicles are otherwise identical, CPO provides a nice warranty extension. Reality is rarely that simple, however.

Dealers have to pay to make a vehicle "certified"; so there is a legitimate cost increase for CPO. On top of the actual cost, some dealers try to get more profit for CPO vehicles because they're more desirable.

Also, some vehicles won't qualify for CPO, due to previous damage or condition. So make sure you're comparing apples-to-apples.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not all service contracts are bad, but it really depends on how and where you use them. When my wife bought out her '12 TL SHAWD-Tech lease, she looked at getting a Honda/Acura warranty, but when we did the paperwork we talked with the service department about their warranty experience. In the case of our local dealer, they offered a Zurich extended warranty that offered a longer and better protection package than the Honda/Acura warranty, and after some negotiations, came in less than the mfg extended warranty. I've used it a couple of times so far - and the Zurich warranty covered the TL's hood strut rods at $0 cost to me. Granted it's not paid for itself yet with anything significant, but the experience so far has been good. A lot depends, though, on the dealer's relationship with the warranty company. Given we're not moving at all, and tend to not take trips in her car (meaning it would always be local), we didn't worry much about how it works outside of the dealer. But there are considerations for coverage at most any shop. We got this because in buying out a lease you don't get any CPO sort of situation, and my wife wanted something to cover her for 8 years from new and 100K miles.....

andy

·
Registered
741 Posts
CPO. You really need to read the fine print in any service contract. A dealer we bought a 2015 from tried to sell me a "service contract" that in the fine print protected against the exact same things that the Acura CPO warranty already covered. I asked for the factory CPO extension, and almost had to get an attorney to get it resolved. The factory CPO is actually offered by the selling dealer, then Acura backs that up. There is also an extension available for a fee ONLY at the time of sale from the Acura dealer if the car meets some other requirements. While technically both CPO and Service contract are considered insurance contracts, the CPO is backed up by Acura/Honda. There is also a CPO warranty that some dealers sell after the sale. They do not have as extensive coverage as those available at the time of sale. Other than wear items, oil, brakes, etc., my MDX is covered bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles. Some feel that is a waste of money. I spent an extra $1800 for that coverage because I have no desire to spend $5K on electronics if something farts and the only way to fix it is to start replacing things to see if it goes away. Although I am a journeyman mechanic and automotive machinist by prior trade, I have no interest in buying thousands of dollars worth of test equipment that would be needed to troubleshoot electronic problems on the MDX. I am not speaking of the OBDC readers but rather the equipment used to program changes into the car etc. The $1800 I spent on a CPO extension insures that the problem belongs to Acura and not me. In my mind I paid them $1800 up front to fix anything that goes wrong until 100,000 miles excepting wear items. The CPO is also transferable if I sell the car. How many people can sell their car to a buyer and say - the manufacturer will cover you bumper to bumper under this warranty until 100,000 miles. I'll get my money back in the sale price if I ever sell the car. In fact, I had that on the 2014 that was totaled by a red light runner, and Acura refunded the unused portion of my $1800 which I then used on the 2015 that replaced it.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Neither one is worth the extra cost the majority of the time - they're big profit items for dealers and salespeople.

But if you want one anyway, read and understand the fine print of the contract - they usually exclude almost anything that would actually fail and you need to understand where the work can be done, limitations on reimbursement for covered items, etc. Note that a number of aftermarket service contract companies have essentially been frauds, go out of business every now and then (leaving you with nothing), and may have even more fine print, etc.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Neither one is worth the extra cost the majority of the time - they're big profit items for dealers and salespeople.

But if you want one anyway, read and understand the fine print of the contract - they usually exclude almost anything that would actually fail and you need to understand where the work can be done, limitations on reimbursement for covered items, etc. Note that a number of aftermarket service contract companies have essentially been frauds, go out of business every now and then (leaving you with nothing), and may have even more fine print, etc.
I would guess that if Acura/Honda were to go out of business to where they could not honor warranties then we would all have trouble since that is the last man standing.

These are Acura coverages for CPO vehicles. These are not aftermarket policies. Acura / Acura is involved on both. The "additional" policy is only available at time of purchase. You can buy the extended power train online from other dealers but not the full Acura Care coverage. That is my understanding and it is stated in all their documents.

Below is from: https://www.acuracertified.com/-/me...hash=52883915F94596018BC51BF58052E781ADDF4638

COMPONENT COVERAGE1
Let us help you with the repairs. When you follow your Acura’s
recommended maintenance schedule, the Acura Care New, Pre-Owned and Certified Additional Coverage plans cover expensive repairs
for virtually every component on your vehicle. And the Acura Care
Powertrain plan covers essential powertain components.
New, Pre-Owned and Certified Additional Coverage:
• Drivetrain: Engine, Transmission, Differential and Axles
• Electronics: Computers, Electronic Components and Electrical System
• Chassis: Suspension, Steering and Brake Systems
• Heating/Cooling: Air Conditioning, Heating and Cooling Systems
• Acura Genuine Accessories: Audio and Communication Devices and Accessories, Navigational and Security Systems
Powertrain Coverage:
• Engine • Transmission
• Drive Axle (Front and Rear) • Seals, Gaskets and Fluids
Repairs will be performed by factory-trained Acura technicians using Acura Genuine Parts.2
RENTAL-CAR REIMBURSEMENT3
If your vehicle requires any covered repairs, and you need a
vehicle during those repairs, Acura Care may reimburse your rental-car expenses up to $45 a day, for up to 6 days.

1 Exclusions include, but are not limited to, body parts, tires, maintenance items, glass, upholstery, trim, carpeting and ornamentation. Claims cannot exceed the cash value of the vehicle. 2 If no Acura dealership is available within towing distance, repairs may be made at an AcuraCare-authorized service center. 3 This document is intended to provide an overview of coverages and benefits. Actual coverages, limitations, and exclusions may vary. Ask your Acura dealer or see your Service Contract and CCMC Membership Guidelines and/or Emergency Roadside Assistance Guidelines for complete details. 4 These benefits are provided by Cross Country Motor Club, Inc., except in Florida, where they are provided by American Honda Service Contract Corporation, and in AK, CA, HI, OR, WI and WY, where they are provided by Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc. In California, Trip-Interruption Reimbursement is provided by American Honda Protection Products Corporation. 5 Up to $100 per occurrence; does not include parts. 6 For Model Year 2015 and newer vehicles. Acura Care Family Plan benefits cover up to 5 Acura or Honda passenger vehicles or Honda motorcycles registered to the same household address. 7 Towing is available when the vehicle is unable to proceed safely due to a mechanical failure.8 Excludes natural-gas vehicles. 9 Certified Additional Coverage plan provides up to $300 a day for up to 3 days. 10 Concierge service is not available in Florida. 11 Interest-free payment plan provided by Service Payment Plan, Inc. 12 Additional surcharge applies for commercial coverage.
Coverage for a New Plan begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for Pre-Owned and Powertrain Plans begins on the vehicle service contract purchase date and at the mileage on the odometer on that date. The Acura New Vehicle Limited Warranty and Acura Care Vehicle Service Contract cover similar components and provide similar benefits. The Vehicle Service Contract coverage of those components and services begins when the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage has expired.
©2015 Acura Financial Services® is a DBA of American Honda Finance Corporation and both are service marks of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. Acura, the stylized “A” logo, and Acura Care are trademarks of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. AEBROC2/15

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
^^ I made a reference to service contracts in general, not just the Acura CPO and extended warranty plans, and some private extended warranty companies have gone out of business which sticks it to the people who purchased the contracts.

While I'd never buy an extended warranty because they're not worth the cost, if I was to get one (which I won't ;) ) I'd get the Acura one that could be used at any Acura dealer but I'd be very certain to read the fine print and understand it so I wouldn't be disappointed later when they don't cover what just broke.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd go with the extended warranty over service contract. Oil changes and filters are really cheap in the grand scheme of things. OTOH, I had to take my car in since the front defroster wasn't defrosting and they ended up pulling the dash and installing a new windshield. The windshield alone is over $1000! Note to self, don't drive behind 18 wheelers. Note to self 2, add glass coverage to insurance policy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.