Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Just got this in the mail and it doesn't sound too good. WTF Acura???
This has been talked about since at least October. Perhaps sooner. You can do a search on the TSB.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it has. I am so glad I am leasing this pile of junk. In 2.5 years Acura: 8 trips to the dealer, VW: 0 trips.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looks like they are standing behind their product....good luck with the VW going forward...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It looks like it has. I am so glad I am leasing this pile of junk. In 2.5 years Acura: 8 trips to the dealer, VW: 0 trips.
In almost 4years. I think one recall and TSB. Otherwise,totally trouble free. We bought another one.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am so glad I am leasing this pile of junk. In 2.5 years Acura: 8 trips to the dealer, VW: 0 trips.
It sounds like you might be able to use the letter I received this week - from some random lawyer trolling for lemon law lawsuits regarding the MDX.

It sounds as if you've had a spate of issues with yours. I've had none with mine - only one trip to the dealer for one minor recall (checking some bolts - and they were okay - plus I had them do software updates while there).

Although it's lousy this problem has hit some MDXs, it's good to see Acura standing behind their product and trying to make it right.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I just got a bad one, but I cannot spend this much time on the car, especially it being my wife’s and a family hauler.

Don’t need the lawyer to waste even more time on this, I just want my lease to finish so I can move on.
I know it’s a cat in the bag when it comes to cars and to slim those chances I went Japanese. Apparently I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
buy a car where the manufacturer doesn't tell you things might need to be checked. Its not like VW hasn't been in trouble lately for some software made to cheat smog tests. I can't imagine no one was affected by that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I received the same letter while my mdx was getting a new transmission. I have not been impressed with my first ever Acura.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
buy a car where the manufacturer doesn't tell you things might need to be checked. Its not like VW hasn't been in trouble lately for some software made to cheat smog tests. I can't imagine no one was affected by that.
Cheating on a smog test and having your transmission and possibly engine replaced (which by the way will sink a resale value) are two different things. So far with MDX I had problems with Navi, memory seats, climate control, transmission, alignment, ACC and rear suspension and now this. Where is that legendary Honda reliability?

BTW: VW doubled their bumber to bumper warranty on all of their new vehicles. Not that it's going to make their cars more reliable but at least it's a piece of mind, IMO.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Cheating on those smog tests actually depreciated all those VW cars affected by it so VW screwed over 11 million buyers. The VW fix can and will potentially ruin the performance and mpgs out of those 11 million cars, That is VW for you.

Now going back to your MDX, What you have experienced is very sad but does not represent the majority of what the MDX buyers are getting.. So far this TSB is the only MAJOR concern and its basically covered under warranty so no money out of your pocket for a new engine/transmission.

When people talk about the legendary honda reliability is often to talk about the engine though..

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Cheating on a smog test and having your transmission and possibly engine replaced (which by the way will sink a resale value) are two different things. So far with MDX I had problems with Navi, memory seats, climate control, transmission, alignment, ACC and rear suspension and now this. Where is that legendary Honda reliability?

Apparently in my 14 MDX. Sorry about your problems.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have a Volkswagen Eos. Not a diesel. Value tanked. All VW’s were effected. Not just diesels. Diesel owners were paid handsomely. Non diesel owners were not.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anything all diesel VW’s actually appreciated in value. Dealers are selling new 2015s for MSRP + mark up!

Back to Acura, how much more MAJOR can you get, lol, new transmission AND possibly the engine!?!?

I just spoke with my friend and her 2016 just had transmission replaced, probably for the same reason. She is also having other problems with it and also looking to get out of it. Hers is a buy so it’ll be much more painful depreciation wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
To me, it's how the manufacturer handles problems that tells the real story. From the Takata airbags to various transmission problems, Honda/Acura tend to admit their issues and be proactive about addressing them - even if it's a hassle for the owner in the process. I've had issues with Hondas / Acuras over the years - and in one case a buy-back because of a manufacturing defect in the car itself. But those are the exceptions to the rule. The way the dealer handled the replacement of the Takata airbags in my (then) two Acuras was impressive, and the letter the OP posted shows that they're at least owning up to the issues.

Just my $.02....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2014 Audi A6 TDI and the reports are that the fix does not impact mileage or power, only the increased use of DEF fluid. It did impact the Q5 3 L TDI with about a 1 to 2 mpg hit. I got a lot of $$ from Audi and a 120,000 mile warranty on the engine, fuel system and emissions system. The Audi has had NO problems in 68,000 miles, the 2017 Acura MDX Hybrid has only had a rear end out of alignment as delivered from the factory. Everything else on the Hybrid has been fine. Glad I went with that over the 3.5 and 9 speed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts