Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While replacing the power steering pump, the serpentine belt got off track and we tried to put it back on but screwed up bad. It pinched behind the crankshaft pulley and managed to get the belt off but wanted to make sure it is still good to use. I just had the dealer put it on last month but hope it isn't chewed up too bad.

suggestions??

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, hard to tell but it looks frayed on the sides. If it’s just that, might be ok. Might not last as long as an unfrayed belt. How are the ribs? If there are any cuts on the ribs, backing, or sides, the belt could snap. That’s the risk - that the belt breaks - you would loose ac, charging, and power steering.

They’re about $30 online for a quality brand and it looks like you have “experience” (like a lot of us DIYers :) ) on how to install one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
You did not specify your year MDX, 01-02 uses two belts. If this is the case and the belt is only for the PS, I would not worry about it. Just inspect during oil changes and replace then if needed.
On the other hand if you have a later model that uses only 1 belt to run all components, I would replace it now. It is off now so half the job is already done and belts are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2006. Ribs looked fine and after looking at the top edge that was a tad fuzzy, figured to make it work. Runs great so far!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'd guess it's probably OK (based on the part shown in the photo being the "worst spot"). That said, I'd also probably just replace it anyway next time I was doing anything that required dropping the serpentine belt, since you can get a new Gates belt for under $20 from Rockauto (for example - lots of other quality options in the same price range). Just not worth taking any chances at all for that kind of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts