Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys went out to change my serpentine belt today and noticed I don’t have the right tools to get the tensioner loose. Is there a special tool I need to change the serpentine belt? Any tips or ideas how you guys did yours, looks easy but don’t want to screw anything up! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Never done the serpentine belt replacement on MDX, but with 04 Accord, yes, there is serpentine belt tool set I borrow from Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s not like a regular nut on the end but flat and kinda looks like a hex or Allen key on the tensioner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It’s not like a regular nut on the end but flat and kinda looks like a hex or Allen key on the tensioner.
You want a Torx T-50 to release the belt. Very odd Acura didn't stay with standard (1/2" or 3/8") wrench end design, but if you get a stubby T-50 in there, not to bad to change out the belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks San, really appreciate that helpful info!!
You're very welcome. I should have included a link to it - here you go, for example. You only have about 3 inches to work with so the stubbier (shorter) your T-50, the better. If you get this bit, and use your 1/2" socket, attach a 2' pipe to extend your socket wrench handle and it's a 5 minute job. WIthout the 2' extension, it's still doable, but a lot tougher. When I was in your shoes trying to figure out how to get in there and wondering why my normal belt tools were of no use, I called the local dealer and was quoted: $88 labor (1/2 hour) and $66 parts (belt). That's all the motivation I needed to keep thinking about it. Rock Auto: belt $15 and using a socket converter to attach my T-50 torx head. No more than 5-10 minutes and you're done. Attach tool, push on extended pipe and belt is loose - slip it off. Take socket out, remove belt, install new belt around bottom pulleys and over socket. Put socket back in the tensioner, push, slide belt around tensioner and done.

If you're looking at doing any of the fluids, they all use standard 1/2" socket, this was the only unique T-50 maintenance requirement I found.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the belt tensioner unit there is a molded on hex nut ,can’t remember if its 14mm or 17mm, but that’s there to pull back the tensioner pulley. Push it back towards the rear and release the tension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts