Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am trying to get an SUV before winter and after driving a few I think the MDX wins hands down in many categories. I do have a few questions to the folks here:

1. Is MDX still reliable. I see that some sites only give it 3 stars for reliability. Now that it's assembled in the US, what can we expect
2. What tips do you have for someone who is about to buy one (things to look for, etc.
3. I hear that accura usually comes out with a new model year around February. Do you think there will be a 2017 in Feb

·
Registered
314 Posts
Initial quality seems down, that's probably what justifies the rankings. Engine is well tested, transmission unknown. 2017 is likely a fall 2016 release will probably have revised sheetmetal, new Garmin based nav.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I staunchly believe the MDX is very reliable. Based on my own perception, I believe the rating you see on some sites are, in fact, unreliable and stem from dissatisfaction with the nav and entertainment system.

I've had 4 MDXs - the most current is the '15 - and have had no problems with any of them.

Where it counts - comfort, safety, and performance in snow - the MDX is awesome and of that's what your're looking for, then the MDX will be great!

If however, you're buying a SUV solely for it's navigation system, then perhaps the MDX is not for you :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I don't think most customer/reliability surveys distinguish between minor issues from major ones when it comes to shop time. The 10 yrs I've been an Acura owner, it has been very minor issues 1-2 times a year with 85% covered by some type of Acura warranty (basic, powertrain, TSB extended). I've had even less issues when I was a 100% Honda owner from 1990-2006 (less complex cars with less tech back then).

I would like to have the most up-to-date tech on the market in my vehicles; but, Acura needs to build it to last +10 yrs of use. Can you imagine using a laptop or cell phone from 10 yrs ago everyday? My Navi, bluetooth, stereo, etc.. on my 06 TSX has been trouble-free since new. I've changed cell phones about +10 times in my family during that time. Acura makes one of best long-term (near) luxury brands out there.

If you are planning on keeping the MDX for a while, it might be worth waiting until the MMC MDX hits the road next year. Then you will have a choice of going for the newer model upgrades in styling/tech/performance or staying with the 14-16 models. Acura doesn't seem to make any changes after the MMC, so the +17 model will remain unchanged until the all new MDX hits the road around 2020 (maybe as a 2021 model).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I staunchly believe the MDX is very reliable. Based on my own perception, I believe the rating you see on some sites are, in fact, unreliable and stem from dissatisfaction with the nav and entertainment system.

I've had 4 MDXs - the most current is the '15 - and have had no problems with any of them.

Where it counts - comfort, safety, and performance in snow - the MDX is awesome and of that's what your're looking for, then the MDX will be great!

If however, you're buying a SUV solely for it's navigation system, then perhaps the MDX is not for you :)
Wow 4 MDXs, that's brand loyalty!

Out of curiosity what's the most miles you've put on any of them?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow 4 MDXs, that's brand loyalty!

Out of curiosity what's the most miles you've put on any of them?
I think my '08 had 60k on it when i traded it. I pulled boat with that one too :)

The MDX is a great vehicle; I can't find anything better in the same class.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was going to go with the 16 MDX until I drove a 15 Lexus RX350 and research showed me a 2016 was getting styling and safety enhancements. Since I don't need the 3rd row, the RX350 fit and finish, ride quality, etc won me over. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot now with 90K on it and it has been great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at a '16 as well. May hold out for the '17, not sure. New models usually don't come out until end of summer of that year, correct? ('17 would come out around Aug/Sep of 2016)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I would recommend waiting for the 17. I believe they actually drop in around February (considering I bought my 16 in May of 15 and they were already there for some time).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah you would need to wait about a year and add 5k to whatever deal you can get now to get that 2017.

As far as that RX, that's a much smaller SUV, it competes with the RDX.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah you would need to wait about a year and add 5k to whatever deal you can get now to get that 2017.

As far as that RX, that's a much smaller SUV, it competes with the RDX.

i guess it depends but the prices paid on edmunds and here both show people earlier this year in march/april getting the same 45-46k deals on shawd techs that most are getting offered now into the fall still. It may just be competitive markets with more acura dealers vs ones with less.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I understand your point but when those 17s roll into lots they are going to sell like the new pilot and dealers are going to want MSRP until they demand dies down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To be honest if they pull the better ergonomics from the pilot it might be worth it. Maybe 40k for a tech 16 tech then? Still i dont know if i want to wait until february.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Plus you might have trouble then finding one with the colors you want, and that car may have been sitting on the lot a long time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Plus you might have trouble then finding one with the colors you want, and that car may have been sitting on the lot a long time.
with the 14 TL, an advanced package umber was hard to find at the end, but a 16 white ebony tech isn't really too crazy is it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The only things the'll probably improve is the navi and add bluray DVD, may be even panoramic sunroof too. Neither of these are worth waiting or paying extra premium for, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The only things the'll probably improve is the navi and add bluray DVD, may be even panoramic sunroof too. Neither of these are worth waiting or paying extra premium for, IMHO.
I don't see them adding bluray . Unless they can add an even more ridiculous premium.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Basically the things introduced in the pilot maybe refined a bit. I dont know if improved navi is worth 4 grand, but i do figure the pano roof will be limited to the advance lime the elite for the pilot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2017 will be cooler looking for sure. The changes they made to the 2016 RDX made it a lot sportier looking.
carplay, pano and magnetic suspension if they made it into tech package would probably make me regret it or worse if they actually added a Type-S, but we're dreaming lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts