Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm still newbie with my MDX. I haven't try the sequential sportshift, yet. Anybody here in the forum had experience with the Sportshift? Is it the same like driving a manual stick? and smoother transition from lower to upper gears? Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Nope, it's like driving an automatic but with better control of which gear you're in. It doesn't change the way the transmission shifts whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
If you don't shift in time you will hit the "REV LIMITER" and it will feel like the gas is shutting off to the engine to prevent transmission/engine damage (one hopes so anyway). It really shines on twisties, mountain inclines etc....you are better off in D3 in town and D4 on highways....

I have to ask: What is that ridiculous dancing guy doing with his arm??? Fisting or what ? Gheez and that dance is .....never mind......:headshake :wtf:

No pun....

·
Registered
61 Posts
From my limited time with the X (08 with 1100 miles) I've found that using the sport shifter from a standing stop and stop and go driving isn't very comfortable. That being said I've really enjoyed it on the Hwy for passing and feel it shines when you get on the twisties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank55 said:
From my limited time with the X (08 with 1100 miles) I've found that using the sport shifter from a standing stop and stop and go driving isn't very comfortable. That being said I've really enjoyed it on the Hwy for passing and feel it shines when you get on the twisties.
Thanks. I tried in normal Hwy, just like you've said it feels odd to me. I have to try on up hills and curves. Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Fabvsix said:

I have to ask: What is that ridiculous dancing guy doing with his arm??? Fisting or what ? Gheez and that dance is .....never mind......:headshake :wtf:

No pun....
Truth.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Fabvsix said:

No pun....

My guess is he's scratching his butt? :8:

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Gcane:
Have you ever driven a manul transmission vehicle? I was RAISED on manuals back in my younger days. All my Dad cars were manual shift. So if you were brought up on Auto transmission, then just leave yours in D4. You have to understand what "holding a gear" is all about and the purpose of it, otherwise your going to blow you motor up.....:rolleyes:
No pun ....

·
Registered
878 Posts
LionSpeed said:

My guess is he's scratching his butt? :8:
The "fisting" guy has been replaced by the "running man". Now that you mentioned it, it does look like he is fixing a wedgie after every few steps.

Getting back on topic, I wish the shift gate is more like the TL's with the zig-zag pattern and a more ergonomic shift knob. Don't really care for the big button on the current shift knob which makes manual shifting a little awkward.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
eujinc said:
Don't really care for the big button on the current shift knob which makes manual shifting a little awkward.
You're not pushing in the shift release button each time you smack the lever back and forth when in SportShift, are you? If so, you don't have to. If not, then which button are you referring to?

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Fabvsix said:
Gcane:
Have you ever driven a manul transmission vehicle? I was RAISED on manuals back in my younger days. All my Dad cars were manual shift. So if you were brought up on Auto transmission, then just leave yours in D4. You have to understand what "holding a gear" is all about and the purpose of it, otherwise your going to blow you motor up.....:rolleyes:
No pun ....
I second that ....

People who find the shifter awkward/jerky to use are people who have never driven manual as an everyday routine. I've driven manual since I was 13 :p to me the shifter works great from a stand still or on highway ...the other day the wife didn't even realise I was using the tiptronic for the whole drive home from the mall. It's smooth if you understand what you are doing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
craniotes said:

You're not pushing in the shift release button each time you smack the lever back and forth when in SportShift, are you? If so, you don't have to. If not, then which button are you referring to?
No, I'm not pushing the shift release but it is that big honking button that I have a gripe with. Everytime I downshift in manual, I feel this button which is not needed for the shift. If the design of the shift gate followed the zig-zag pattern, then there is no need for a shift release button. Makes for a much more ergonomic feel to the shift knob.

Of course, if we have paddle shifters, I would have no probs if they want to make that shift release button as big as they want.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Yes the shift gate pattern sucks! I often find myself in D3 rather than D4 when in a hurry to pull out of a parking place as someone is breathing down my back to have that slot, off I go to realize its in D3 instead of D4...

Also, being from the "manual" days, I tend to keep left hand on the steering wheel while right hand on the shifter.....Suddenly I take a hard sharp right turn and BAM it slides into to sequential shift mode when my intentions were no to...

Also have you "thought" you were in sequential shift mode and go from D4 to "N"......Just a crappy shift gate design......:4: :4:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
eujinc said:

No, I'm not pushing the shift release but it is that big honking button that I have a gripe with. Everytime I downshift in manual, I feel this button which is not needed for the shift. If the design of the shift gate followed the zig-zag pattern, then there is no need for a shift release button. Makes for a much more ergonomic feel to the shift knob.

Of course, if we have paddle shifters, I would have no probs if they want to make that shift release button as big as they want.
Gotcha. Yup, a gated pattern like the one in my Benz would be preferable for a quick dip into D4, but I suppose Acura figured that most folks would just slap it over into SportShift if they wanted the extra ooomph.

Regards,
Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts