Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of u guys are going to shocked to learn this, but I am thinking of selling the X. Let me explain.

My wife works for a Pharmaceutical firm, and last week ordered a '03 Ford Windstar to use as her company vehicle(previously she was driving a taurus). so, with her having a minivan, their wouldn't be as much need for the MDX. Over the past wknd, she mentioned that maybe i could trade in the X for a toy car:eek: She and I were thinking in the line of Porsche boxster S or 911.:2:

Initially, i was flabbergasted, what and get rid of the X! Are you crazy? But after thinking about it for oh, about 15 secs, i was like, "hey honey, that is really a good financial decison, I am really proud of you":D :D

So, I have some questions regarding what to do:

1. Should I trade in the MDX? since the economy is slow, it would harder to sell the X on my own, and isn't there some tax benefits to trading it in?

2. From a tax standpoint, would it be smarter to buy or lease a used Boxster or 911. Since I own my own business, I would thinking leasing would be the smart choice, but if i buy it i get back 36 cents per mile for using my car for company purposes.

3. Finally, this is more for u carnuts out there. Anybody know of any differences between '01 and '02 boxster S(recalls, TSB's). I prefer a boxster to a 911 for 2 reasons. a) I luv older 911's(993) but am not a big fan of the 996 and since i plan to use it as a daily driver i don't feel comfortable driving a 993 as a daily driver. b) u can find a '01 boxster S with <15k miles for <$45k. the original sticker on most of these boxsters was $60k+.

4) William, what does CR say about the boxster/911?

I'm sure i will have more questions, but my head is spinning with thoughts of 71.6mph slalom speed, .95g on the skidpad, and what i can do to increase the horsepower.:D

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Let me see now . . . what do I do here? . . .

·
Registered
699 Posts
Dude, the Boxster is such a sweet ride.

Not practical if you need to have a car seat for a little one, like I do...

As an engineer who does a lot of control work, the Boxster is a fascinating car to drive. Porsche really has their sh*t together.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
MDXLuvr said:

4) William, what does CR say about the boxster/911?

I'm sure i will have more questions, but my head is spinning with thoughts of 71.6mph slalom speed, .95g on the skidpad, and what i can do to increase the horsepower.:D
First off, if you want a Boxster, forget about what CR says! Getting something like a Boxster or a 911 is as much about emotion, the joy of driving, etc. than it is the practicalities of what CR says. You're going to baby it, get it serviced and fed well, etc.

Nevertheless, CR actually has a good opinion of it. They even ventured as far as saying it has almost an ideal blend of sports-car virtues, something most folks don't look for CR to discuss (given that they're not driving-enthusiast oriented).

The problem is that with Boxster production limited, CR has posted "insufficient data" for most years the Boxster has been out. In last year's annual auto issue, they rated the Boxster's reliability "well below average" (the dreaded solid black dot). However, the only year they had was, I think, the 2000's.

In their 2003 models special publication, though, they have upgraded the Boxster's reliability to above average (half-red dot). I guess they now have enough data for two years. The 2000 (I think it's the 2000) shows "above average" reliability and the 2001's show "average" reliability (and the "dip" may just be a survey hiccup). 2002 has insufficient data.

I think VW's influence has helped. VW itself has upgraded the quality of their German-manufactured vehicles (e.g. the Passat). Still not as good as Japanese brands, but they've definitely closed the gap, and that's helping Porsche.

I totally understanding getting rid of your MDX. After you trade it in/sell it, you can, drunk with your enjoyment of your Porsche, tell us you didn't want your garage to have two minivans. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
i'm jealous! but happy for you!

MDXluvr,

this is what i was hoping to do but my wife could not get a minivan and had to stick with a taurus.

cars that i considered...

BMW M3, infinity g35 coupe, infinity fx45, porsche cayenne.

suggestions:

1. research insurance rates as there can be a huge difference amongst this group of cars
2. have fun and test drive all of them
3. lease, especially since you can deduct thru work.

good luck,

chris

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
My wife works for a Pharmaceutical firm, and last week ordered a '03 Ford Windstar to use as her company vehicle(previously she was driving a taurus
Sure looks like the price is right;) For a toy car I'd take a good look at the new Z4:cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
MDXLuvr said:

3. Finally, this is more for u carnuts out there. Anybody know of any differences between '01 and '02 boxster S(recalls, TSB's). I prefer a boxster to a 911 for 2 reasons. a) I luv older 911's(993) but am not a big fan of the 996 and since i plan to use it as a daily driver i don't feel comfortable driving a 993 as a daily driver. b) u can find a '01 boxster S with <15k miles for <$45k. the original sticker on most of these boxsters was $60k+.
It probably comes down to personal preference, but if you drive both a 993 & a Boxster S before buying, you might change your mind. After all, if you're going to spend around $45k for either choice, it's really no difference if either car is going to be the daily driver.

Either way, you'll end up with a sweet car. Tough decision to have....

·
Registered
449 Posts
MDXluvr, you are one lucky guy. Usually people trade in their sports/fun car for the MDX but you get to do the reverse. I traded in my BMW for the MDX as it is more practical. Try also looking at BMWs (i.e. the Z4 or the Z3).

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could stay in the Acura family and buy an NSX.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NSXBill said:
You could stay in the Acura family and buy an NSX.
another car on my dream list. I absolutely LUV the NSX, and was planning on waiting to see the next gen NSX. However, my work(physician) requires driving to multiple hospitals, clinics, meetings etc, and I would hate to do that in an NSX. I know i would end up buying an Accord as a daily driver. Could u imagine door dinks on the aluminum body. :eek:

Anyways, to reply to the other members. My rule this time was that I refuse to SETTLE for a car that i don't LUV. I want a daily driver that is as close to a real sportscar as possible(i know some of u 911 owners are laughing at that statement). That is why a NSX, 911 or 355 is out of question. I have been waiting for a day like this for 21 years(talk about delayed gratification). I drove the Z4- nice car, too ugly for me. S2k - avg. looking car that has no torque and is really designed for track use. 350Z- overweight GT car, more in line with a poor man's 911. M3- too heavy, and looks like a regular 3 series. G35 coupe- nice coupe, but i want a SPORTS CAR. The boxster is the only car with the fewest faults.;) Beleive me, my wife says that if I bought a 360, i would say its nice, but they really should have done this or improved that, etc, etc.

I plan to bring it up to 275-280 hp with ECU/Intake/Exhaust. That is plenty of power for daily/track use. Think about it, the NSX(considered the greatest sports car ever built in 1991) had 270hp!

William, I was asking about CR b/c no matter what I buy, i don't want to pay ridiculous money for minor problems(something porsche dealers are know to do). However, I do appreciate your response.

btw, you guys still didn't answer my question about trading and taxes, and to lease or not.:p

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DaleB,

:1pat:

Don't tell you really believe these marketing slogans. If you do, try some of these and see if you agree.

1. Ford- Quality is job 1.
2. Chevy- We will be there for you.
3. BMW- The Ultimate Driving Machine.
4. Maytag- the dependability people.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
MDXLuvr said:

Don't tell you really believe these marketing slogans. If you do, try some of these and see if you agree.

Heh, the only one that has some half-truth -- and only half is the BMW when it comes to some sport sedan variants (everyone strives to get that BMW feel but it's actually been quite tough). No sports car, obviously, but as a sports sedan it's always the benchmark.

I always chuckle when CR publishes a list of appliance brands, and Maytag is often significantly worse than average. Makes you think the Maytag repairman is just a slacker.

As far as costs for the Porsche, have you checked into what dealers charge for services? I've heard that they can get pretty awesome. But of course I have no first-hand experience.

As far as other vehicles, the 350Z is nice but it's no Boxster. So is the new RX from Mazda.

But yes, if you can afford this, it's a good thing to have at least once in your life!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Boxster sounds good to me also...

But the S2K "avg looking car"? I humbly disagree...;) !
True, it has no torque, but it's an absolute blast and significantly cheaper. Of course, if money wasn't a significant factor, I'd probably go with the Porsche.

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun trying to choose :)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
DaleB,

:1pat:

:rolleyes:
I never said I believe all marketing slogans, I was only inferring the 911 is recognized as one of the best high performance vehicles. Along with the Callaway Corvette, and the top line production Ferrari. The Boxster is out of it's league in that crowd.

I have certainly experienced the opposite of "1".

2: I didn't know that was the slogan for chevy, but I would love to have my 55 back.

3: Maybe not ultimate, but certainly a very fine performing sports sedan which has few competitors in it's class.

4: Actually, quite reliable. But they have a unique drive system for the agitator which when it does wear out, is very expensive to replace. Especially these days, when appliance warranties are pathetic.

With that I probably replied with more than you needed to know. :1:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I still say get an NSX

Get a 97 NSX for less than $50K. Drive it as a daily driver and go to Dent Wizard when/If you get dings. There are several folks in ATL that buy used NSX's w/25-30Kmi and drive them to 90K+, sell them and start over. If you don't like this idea, the Boxter is nice. You're right, the Z3/Z4 are ugly, and the S2000 is a motorcycle on 4 wheels.

I use the two-car strategy: Sport Pkg newer (but used) 3-series sedan + sunny-day exotic 91 NSX...~$30K each +/-. If I was a rich physician :) I would do the same thing only upgrade to an M3 and a 360.

The MDX is for family trips, boat pulling, and wife's daily kid hauling.

·
Registered
191 Posts
NSX Bill, I like the way you think.

DevExpert, I recently was at our local dealership and really liked the Masarati. The salesman said that there competition was the Porsche. I liked the looks of the coupe but did not drive it. There was a ragtop in the showroom that I liked even better.

MDXLuvr, May all of lifes choicest be this difficult. My Sis-in-law, also a Dr. (sole practioner OB/GYN) just leased a 911 with an eye toward later purchase at residual value. Although I do not know the details she said her CPA had recommended the lease for tax reasons.

A couple of months back I spoke with a Porsche sales manager who told me the 2002 Boxster (non S) market was very soft and I have seen below MSRP advertisements in our local papers for both the Boxster and the S.

When all is said and done though I would go for the 911.

BTW, next year your wife should have her company get her an MDX and you will have the best of both worlds. :2:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Boxster

The evolutionary offspring of the heart of Porsche!

Mid-engine is a must, rear-engine is out of necessity only.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Boxster

N_Jay said:
The evolutionary offspring of the heart of Porsche!

Mid-engine is a must, rear-engine is out of necessity only.
That's a good point. I recall someone remarking on the arrogance of the Germans to put a driver in front of his engine, with a gas tank in his lap and have him go 200 mph.

Maybe in time the Boxster will emerge as the platform for a very competitive highER performance sports car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts