Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Nicely written ad, all in all. You're asking pretty big money for it, though I don't think it's really out of line given the condition and the features.

Gotta tell you the tinted headlights and taillights make me gag a little though... I know there are those who think that's a great idea, but the engineer in me would question everything else about the car just based on the fact that the owner did that to his car. An HID conversion (on non-projector headlight) would do the same, FWIW.

I am amazed at the condition of your bumpers, though... my daughter lives in northern Manhattan, and the bumpers in her neighborhood look like a kid with a hammer had nothing to do for a few hours but to bang on every bumper in sight. ;-)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlights aren't tinted. It's aftermarket and has a black housing instead of chrome. The tail lights are plasti dipped. Can peel it off. The plan was to also dip my wheels black to have that black and white car theme going. I feel like it's a fair price given the condition and mileage with all the aftermarket stuff I've installed and maintenance I've put into it.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well it is a great price for you but you gotta take the market price too
KBB for Private Sellings says that with your current equipment and conditions is valued at 6.5K the lowest for the same car in bad conditions is 4K

Just FYI: For 9K you can get a 2nd Gen MDX, Yeah that is how much you are asking.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Visual mods = issue finding buyers from my experience... Perhaps it depends on the local market, here in NW it's a big issue.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it is a great price for you but you gotta take the market price too
KBB for Private Sellings says that with your current equipment and conditions is valued at 6.5K the lowest for the same car in bad conditions is 4K

Just FYI: For 9K you can get a 2nd Gen MDX, Yeah that is how much you are asking.
I have a friend who's a dealer and he told me they all use NADAguides. Also when I went to get my car registered in Connecticut, they also use NADAguides when they were charging me for the tax on my car.

Sure you can get a 2nd gem, but you don't get all the bells and whistles my car comes with and the 2nd gen is smaller than the 1st gen so some people prefer the 1st gen over the 2nd for that reason alone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a friend who's a dealer and he told me they all use NADAguides. Also when I went to get my car registered in Connecticut, they also use NADAguides when they were charging me for the tax on my car.

Sure you can get a 2nd gem, but you don't get all the bells and whistles my car comes with and the 2nd gen is smaller than the 1st gen so some people prefer the 1st gen over the 2nd for that reason alone.
You're not getting it. These "bells and whistles" you keep talking about do not increase the car's value significantly. If anything, such modifications will make it more difficult for you to sell the car. And I highly doubt anyone would pick a 1st gen over a 2nd just because of a minor size difference.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Your car has SH-AWD? 300HP?, Modern looking dashboard with better quality interiors + seats? Without a doubt better looking exterior and interior design? I mean the list goes on and on and on.. I get you like the 1st gen because you own it, But in no way shape or form anyone will buy a 1st Gen over a 2nd gen for the same money because it has a slightly bigger interior..

And I am giving you the benefit of not adding to the mix the Incredible amount of Transmission issues the 1st Gen had/has that the 2nd Gen does not suffer.
Also you do want to buy a 2011 MDX right? the one with the Oil Consumption issues? so even with that you say the 1st Gen is a contender under the same price as a 2G????

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're not getting it. These "bells and whistles" you keep talking about do not increase the car's value significantly. If anything, such modifications will make it more difficult for you to sell the car. And I highly doubt anyone would pick a 1st gen over a 2nd just because of a minor size difference.
Yeah a touch screen radio with apple car play and blue tooth along with a back up camera will sure make a car harder to sell, I'm sure they will miss the cd player instead... I'm also sure having a dash cam hardwired and placed in a hidden area that is discreet will make it even more harder! Ugh what am I going to do?! Also that darn viper 2 way remote start and alarm does not sound appealing or convenient to have, god damnit!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your car has SH-AWD? 300HP?, Modern looking dashboard with better quality interiors + seats? Without a doubt better looking exterior and interior design? I mean the list goes on and on and on.. I get you like the 1st gen because you own it, But in no way shape or form anyone will buy a 1st Gen over a 2nd gen for the same money because it has a slightly bigger interior..

And I am giving you the benefit of not adding to the mix the Incredible amount of Transmission issues the 1st Gen had/has that the 2nd Gen does not suffer.
Also you do want to buy a 2011 MDX right? the one with the Oil Consumption issues? so even with that you say the 1st Gen is a contender under the same price as a 2G????
Nope my car has 265 HP with AWD. Dash board doesn't look too bad either to be honest. Interior looks pretty nice and clean with only 2 screens and not many buttons. Seats are great and comfortable, no complaints from anyone. Does your car have or support a double din radio? Especially one that has apple car play? Apple car play alone is one of the best things ever created, you should try it...oh wait 2nd gen doesn't support double dins! And I would say the difference in size is a bit noticeable. The reason why my dad didn't buy the MDX is because they made it smaller than the 1st gen. Also the 05 and 06 don't really have the transmission issue, its the 01-03 that have em, not that I'm saying mine can't get it, but that doesn't mean your 2nd gen isn't immune to it also, any car can have a transmission problem at any given time. I know that the '10-'13 have oil consumption issues, but that doesn't mean 100% the one I'm getting will have that problem, it's a risk I am willing to take if the price is right.

If you go on craigslist by me, the 2nd gens have about 50k more miles than my 1st gen and its only 2 years newer than my car, that's almost double the mileage I have. Either way I don't have to justify the price to you. Nadaguides values my car a little under 8 grand and cargurus says I am only asking $160 above market value. Given the condition of my car and the low mileage with what its equipped, I know my cars worth and if I'm patient enough, someone will buy it
. Thanks for the input though, appreciate it

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
sERKZ, when you're selling a car that's "unusual" (whether in terms of mileage, condition or equipment) for more than the "usual" examples, it's just a matter of waiting for the right buyer. Without a doubt, those MDXs that are more "average" will sell for a lot less, and quicker as a result.

Let's face it - most people buying an SUV are not automotive enthusiasts. They're looking for a vehicle to get little Billy to soccer practice. As a result, most will look at a car as a commodity, and will tend to lump all of the ones for sale together. Of course, this means that most are bottom feeders, and will likely end up with an average car for an average price.

When you offer something that's better (and yours clearly is), you need a buyer who's willing to pay for the difference. Of course, it will all come down to just how much that buyer is willing to pay for a vehicle in better condition, with some really nice upgrades. FWIW, I think the NADA guide you reference in your ad is awfully optimistic, at least based on what 1st generation MDXs are actually selling for from private parties.

That's all a long-winded way of saying that you're not going to be inundated with people clamoring to buy your car, but that if you're patient (and maybe a bit flexible) you should find the person who is looking for a vehicle exactly like the one you're selling.

Oh, and I just noticed that your MPG indicator is showing 4.9 and 5.0 in the photos... probably not the best selling feature.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nope my car has 265 HP with AWD. Dash board doesn't look too bad either to be honest. Interior looks pretty nice and clean with only 2 screens and not many buttons. Seats are great and comfortable, no complaints from anyone. Does your car have or support a double din radio? Especially one that has apple car play? Apple car play alone is one of the best things ever created, you should try it...oh wait 2nd gen doesn't support double dins! And I would say the difference in size is a bit noticeable. The reason why my dad didn't buy the MDX is because they made it smaller than the 1st gen. Also the 05 and 06 don't really have the transmission issue, its the 01-03 that have em, not that I'm saying mine can't get it, but that doesn't mean your 2nd gen isn't immune to it also, any car can have a transmission problem at any given time. I know that the '10-'13 have oil consumption issues, but that doesn't mean 100% the one I'm getting will have that problem, it's a risk I am willing to take if the price is right.

If you go on craigslist by me, the 2nd gens have about 50k more miles than my 1st gen and its only 2 years newer than my car, that's almost double the mileage I have. Either way I don't have to justify the price to you. Nadaguides values my car a little under 8 grand and cargurus says I am only asking $160 above market value. Given the condition of my car and the low mileage with what its equipped, I know my cars worth and if I'm patient enough, someone will buy it
. Thanks for the input though, appreciate it
You're so passive aggressive. I don't understand why you bothered posting your ad here, if you were going to ignore all the advice in the first place. If you're so confident that someone will buy your "gem" of a car, then you shouldn't be so worried and posting here. I'll tell you this much though, I would take a 2nd Gen over 1st Gen any day no matter how much **** you've added to your car (cheap dashcam and touchscreen display).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thread has gone in a strange direction ... obviously, the market will tell you if you've priced it right! As a fairly new owner of a 2004 (and very happy) purchased with 88K a year ago, I feel you're price is fair. Especially, if you can provide the receipts of having the timing belt, motor mounts and 105K maintenance completed (valve adjustment) recently. These are expensive.

Your '05 MDX looks good. I'm not a DIY'er so I know what these repairs cost. Bells and whistles don't mean much to me, but I feel that the '04 that I bought should go at least five more years, maybe as much as ten without much more maintenance. Your '05 likely will too, so someone will likely be happy. Time will tell if your 'price is right'.

BTW, I never believe a seller when they say they're "not in a hurry". So, I'd remove that and be prepared to accept about $8,500.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
!

You're so passive aggressive. I don't understand why you bothered posting your ad here, if you were going to ignore all the advice in the first place. If you're so confident that someone will buy your "gem" of a car, then you shouldn't be so worried and posting here. I'll tell you this much though, I would take a 2nd Gen over 1st Gen any day no matter how much **** you've added to your car (cheap dashcam and touchscreen display).

I am shocked with this guy... He honestly believes having Apple Car play in a car that looks like 1999 its going to make it better than a 2G.

To OP.. I don´t need a double din capable stereo because the 2nd Gen MDX Stock Audio destroy the 1st Gen Audio System so it doesn't need an update so desperately like your car that had a Cassette tape. Even then I believe you haven´t seen the retrofits to double din using the NAV Screen so yes its Double Din capable to answer your question.

You lack hindsight about how people look at transmission issues, Your MDX Gen had the worst transmission issues ever for any Honda SUV this is a problem in design and not just "Back Luck" you can have the warranty that the 01 to 04 are POS Transmissions that will die sooner than expected. Yours is a 05 do you really think the average buyer looking at the statistics will just say "nah the 05 is bulletproof nothing to worry about"? Only educated buyers will know better aka: Already Honda owners that know about the problem and know which cars got the problems solved, Those Honda owners that can tell from a bad car with a bad transmission to a good car will not pay what you are asking for a 1st gen specially if they can get a much better car aka 2nd Gen for the same money.

You say the 2nd Gen had transmission problems? The 2nd Gen didn't have a design flaw in its transmission like the 1st gen had. If a 2nd Gen Trans were to fail it would be because of normal wear and tear or just a bad apple in the manufacturing process, 1st Gen had a Design Flaw! Completely different issue altogether, Specially an issue that killed people.

Mileage is also really irrelevant, You could have a car with 80K City miles that will have more wear than a car with 150K Highway miles. You say your car has low mileage? Again prove that those are all Hwy miles? You see? Again only Educated owners will know better so you can screw an innocent buyer with your low mileage shenanigans.

I really hope you are not really that blinded and Ignorant and you just want to make a friendly argument with cute responses, But in case you are SERIOUSLY Answering this well.. Good Luck selling your 1st Gen at that Price.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thread has gone in a strange direction ... obviously, the market will tell you if you've priced it right! As a fairly new owner of a 2004 (and very happy) purchased with 88K a year ago, I feel you're price is fair. Especially, if you can provide the receipts of having the timing belt, motor mounts and 105K maintenance completed (valve adjustment) recently. These are expensive.

Your '05 MDX looks good. I'm not a DIY'er so I know what these repairs cost. Bells and whistles don't mean much to me, but I feel that the '04 that I bought should go at least five more years, maybe as much as ten without much more maintenance. Your '05 likely will too, so someone will likely be happy. Time will tell if your 'price is right'.

BTW, I never believe a seller when they say they're "not in a hurry". So, I'd remove that and be prepared to accept about $8,500.
Exactly, it's all about waiting for the right person who knows what has gotten into the car and what the car has to offer. Me and you know those services I got are not cheap at all and of course I have the receipts to back it all up. These 2nd gen owners just seem a little upset I am selling my 1st gen as much as their 2nd gen is worth, doesn't phase me though :) And sure I'll take $8,500 for it if it comes down to it, always wiggle room when it comes to these things and people love to try and get a last minute negotiation in person. Did the PO have the 105k service done before purchasing your MDX?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you read the post I came here asking where else I should post besides craigslist. Only reason I linked the ad is to get feedback on my write up on it, not to hear you guys try and bash my price I'm selling it for. I know what I have and I know my cars worth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sERKZ, when you're selling a car that's "unusual" (whether in terms of mileage, condition or equipment) for more than the "usual" examples, it's just a matter of waiting for the right buyer. Without a doubt, those MDXs that are more "average" will sell for a lot less, and quicker as a result.

Let's face it - most people buying an SUV are not automotive enthusiasts. They're looking for a vehicle to get little Billy to soccer practice. As a result, most will look at a car as a commodity, and will tend to lump all of the ones for sale together. Of course, this means that most are bottom feeders, and will likely end up with an average car for an average price.

When you offer something that's better (and yours clearly is), you need a buyer who's willing to pay for the difference. Of course, it will all come down to just how much that buyer is willing to pay for a vehicle in better condition, with some really nice upgrades. FWIW, I think the NADA guide you reference in your ad is awfully optimistic, at least based on what 1st generation MDXs are actually selling for from private parties.

That's all a long-winded way of saying that you're not going to be inundated with people clamoring to buy your car, but that if you're patient (and maybe a bit flexible) you should find the person who is looking for a vehicle exactly like the one you're selling.

Oh, and I just noticed that your MPG indicator is showing 4.9 and 5.0 in the photos... probably not the best selling feature.
Thanks habby, you were always here to help me when I first got my car so I appreciate your kind words on my car. I know I have to be patient but I know someone out there will be smart enough to see the condition, mileage, maintenance and features that my car has to offer and want to snag it up. The 5 MPG is cause the battery was unhooked when installing the radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea, the guy is proud of his car. So what.

Why the invective? Search craigslist nationwide and you'll find dozens of first gen MDX's for sale ('04 - '06 especially) with 100k miles for similar asking prices.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, the guy is proud of his car. So what.

Why the invective? Search craigslist nationwide and you'll find dozens of first gen MDX's for sale ('04 - '06 especially) with 100k miles for similar asking prices.
Thanks TTS for having my back, appreciate it. Good to see people with brains still out there who don't just look at the cars year but also what the car has to offer and what went into the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.