Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somone tell me if it is easy to install the MDX factory roof rack? I ordered it and the dealer has it, but the dealer is super far away.

Not sure if they can transfer it to another local dealer and have them do it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Ask them to transfer it. That's what they did with my hitch when it was backordered at time of delivery. (dealer is 500 mi away!) They installed the coolers only. Now they've sent the hitch to a local dealer for installation. Pre-paid of course.
Or you could go to Hondacuraworld.com
and download the instructions for the rack. (called a base carrier in Acura lingo).
But if you paid for it to be installed I would ask them to ship to a local dealer.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I installed my own base carrier - I posted my experience someplace in this forum, but I don't know exactly where. You could search for 'base carrier installation' to find out what others have said about the install. My experience was pretty good - the trick I had to use was to tighten one side and then push hard an the other side to line up the holes for the bolts. Some people say that theirs just lined up easily - I guess there's some variance in the manufacturing process.

I saved a few bucks by doing it myself, and the carrier is installed just as good as it would've been by the dealer. I know I got mine for about $130 and they 'retail' for around $165 - I think my dealer wanted about an hour for installation making the total nearly $250, almost twice what I paid.

My suggestion is to cancel the order, get your money back if you paid already, and order it from Hondacuraworld.com and put it on yourself.

·
Registered
217 Posts
very easy to do, concur with above. Order from Tim and do yourself in an hour.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Very easy to remove (& install)

Use the Search feature; detailed removal and installations tips have been discussed in several old threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually paid almost $500 for it when I leased it a few months ago.

Wow! I see now that it may have been a mistake to do that. The dealer said they would install it. I am goign to have to give them a call to see if I can cancel it and get it online.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I hope that the dealer doesn't try to force it down my throat since they had to order it for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can't imagine that the dealer would have a problem with keeping it for the next customer who wants the roof rack. If they're at all interested in keeping you happy, then they will be glad to keep it. I guess the worst that could happen is that you'll have to explain to them that you do not want it anymore - the more you see them on other MDXs the more you just plain hate them! Good luck. Let us know how your dealer treats you - I know my dealer wouldn't hesitate for a minute to keep it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Roof rack sucks

The real question is why you would want to install the factory roof rack. It seems to be primarily cosmetic.

Before getting the MDX, we had an Olds minivan with a roof rack which was adjustable and which was wide enough to hold two large kayaks side-by-side. The MDX rack does neither.

And because of its odd shape, we could not attach any existing racks or kayak carriers to the MDX rack, nor remove the factory rack and replace it easily.

I eventually had to order a rack system which is supposed to be attached to the roof and rig it to attach it to the MDX rack. Not only does this not look good, but it raises the center of gravity even higher.

A friend who got a Dodge Durango SUV was able to order a Thule rack system, remove his (adjustable) factory rack and put on the Thule with no difficulty.

IMO, the MDX rack is a huge waste of money.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree, Dale, it's great to hang onto but it makes it hard to reach the entire roof! I put mine on for cosmetics, primarily, and for function if I ever need to use it. Based on what some people have said, it might have absolutely no function!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just e-mailed Daniel, this website's administrator, requesting a group buy for the base carrier. So if you're interested you might want to wait for his response. Seems like it would be a popular one for us who don't have the touring pkg.
Like most of you, I want it mostly for the looks, and if I ever need it then it's already there. H o w e v e r, the experience shared by nford got me thinking twice. Looks like he's got a point. If there is a roof rack that looks just as good and at the same time functions the way it's meant to be, then why not go for it, unless of course it's cost-prohibitive. Does the Thule rack system fit the MDX? Are there any other alternatives worth considering? $$$?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yakima roof rack solution for the MDX

... Are there any other alternatives worth considering?...

4g's,

If you want a roof rack "just for looks" and do not intend to actually use it, then MDX base carrier may be for you. If, however, you want a fully functional, adjustable, integrated roof rack solution that works with either Yakima or Thule attachment accessories and also looks good, I highly recommend a Yakima setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts