Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully sometime soon, Ill be upgrading the speakers in my MDX. For those of you who have already done this or are in the process of doing this - how did you select the speakers to install? It seems most went with Infinty 652i' or Pioneer's.

I've read some of the selection criteria, such as good efficiency (especially since I have the Bose system) and mounting depth and have found other options (from reading the specs in the lastest Crutchfield catalog.) It appears that the 6 1/2 inch Kenwood KFC, the JBL GTO, and the Polk EX series should all fit the bill. Is there any thing that I'm missing that would eliminate these from consideration? Or is it simply the sound quality of the Infinitys and Pioneers that wins out?

A few more questions also:

What do most prefer - a two way with a rotating tweeter or a three way speaker?

Should the front and back speakers be of the same kind or is mixing models and/or brands ok?

Does Dynamat make a big difference with the door speakers? How difficult it it to get in there to line the doors with it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
As for speakers, allot of it it your own preference......uou might like something others do not.

I went Pioneer 3-ways. They are good, far better than stock, but are a little too bright. If I had to do it again (and I may anyway.....) I would go Infinity 2 ways. I have them in another car, and the bass is better. Rotating tweeter also makes it easy to "aim". So my answer in the "low cost" arena, Infinity 2 ways.
Pf the other 3 you mentioned, the JBLs and the Kenwoods are OK...but not my favorites. I really like Polks, but if I recall they had a little lower efficiency and sounded similar to the Infinitys.

There is no requirement to have same speakers in front and back. In fact, I went 3 ways front and 2 ways back. You will not hear much of the high end from the back and drivers, and I do travel with many in the back. That said, I still like the Infinitys all around.

On the dynamat, yes you can use in in all enclosures and it is easy to do. For the doors, I uses on the front mounting surface only to help avoid rattles. The inside doors must be clear for windows, so be careful if you start putting any there

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of the reasons that I got Infinity is that it has the so-called "plus one" woofer has about 30% more area than the other 6.5 inches speakers. When I took the sock speaker out and compare it side to side with the infinity, I found the infinity cone has a lot more surface areas. 30% on a 6.5 is almost an 8 inch speaker. This explained its strong bass. One of the other nice thing about infinity is its rotating tweeter. I can aim at my ears and I found the highs are very smooth and clear.

After the change, I found the overall sound level has not decreased. Because I have good high end, I can actually listen at the lower volume and still get the details. The infinity speakers are also very smooth, not harsh like the Pioneer when I comparied them at the Best Buy store.

Why reinvent the wheels? Go with the Infinity and you'll be happy.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just got back from the local Tweeter store. I was advised against a simple speaker upgrade. They told me that the Bose system did not have enough power to drive better speakers. They suggested a small amp in addition to replacing the six door speakers. They also told me that I could do better than Infinity and suggested Polk. Total cost including install will rum approx $750, but the results will be terrific. I am considering this.

While I supose that they could be trying to sell me more than I need, I have bought a lot of equipment from them in the past and have generally been quite satisfied.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maik,

The info that tweeters gave you is not wrong by any means, but really depends on what you are after.

On the Infinity vs Polk. I have a set of each in two different cars. I love the Infinitys.... I have them being driven off of a "high power" head unit and get good volume/bass without amp. I also like my Polks, they sound as good (maybe slightly better but same ball park), but they do want more amp power. Get very marginal sound levels w/o amp on Polks, tried that first.

If you go for Infinitys, the stock amp might be enough to get by, depending on sound levels you like. I have the base unit, and with exeception of the bass level to the sub, I get pretty good volume without amp. If you go Polks, an aftermarket amp is probably a required step.

Many boarders seem happy with the Infinitys and no amps. A possible path would be to put in Infinitys, then upgrade amp later if more power is needed. Just a thought..............

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Its a good one.

Perhaps anyone who has the touring upgrade can tell of their results replacing the door speakers with Infinities. Did it represent enough of a difference to warrant the effort and expense? Did they also replace the tweeters?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just put the 625i in the front, and a Pioneer shallow depth two way (forget the number, my local dealer had them "open box" in the back last night. I also did a little dynamat in the front... Total walk out of the local Circuit City for $211, could have cut a bit off this by ordering, but I wanted them now.

Easy to do; results dramatic; enough power in the stock (Touring, so Bose) system.

Easy to do - Less than two hours total, and I'm moving slowly from a slightly hurt lower back.

Results dramatic - I did the "wife test" with the balance control when one side was new, the other stock. Her reaction was "Oh My God!, when can we get a set of these in my car????". Once the complete install was in, we did a drive test, with some Guns 'n Roses, some Windham Hills, and some Jeff Beck. Very much better, I'm now happy with my 14 day old MDX.

Enough Power in Stock - I did notice a click or two more volume required, but running the volume up all the way still results in more perceived sound than I can stand. Also, I haven't noticed any breakup or strain in power requiring passages.

I might consider an amp and a new set of tweeters at some point, but probably not.

Are just the Infinitys worth it? Yep.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thanks for the input. I wll be at Circuit City in the AM for four Infinity 652's. I saw them yesterday there for $86 per pair. They will install all 4 for $40, so its a done deal as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the good comments. I was sort of hoping to go with 2-ways with a swiveling tweeter in the front and three ways in the back, but I think I'll go with the infinity 652s all around. www.millionbuy.com has them for $65 a pair, so I'll probably get them from there and install them myself. I've done several installs on other cars, so hopefully this won't be too bad. I'll put in some dynamat first and then its on to the subwoofer.

Has anyone had any problems with the 652s that they've put in? The curcuit city web site has several user comments on speaker failure. I was wondering how common this was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In an earlier post, I indicated Infinity 652i in front, Pioneer in rear. I did this mainly because of what I perceived as fit issues with the rain baskets in the rear.

I drove around like this for two-three days, then returned the Pioneers and bought another pair of Inifinitys. They were easy to install, and the trimming on the rain basket was minimal...

So, I'm now 4xInfinity 625i.

Stock vs. Infinity front/Pioneer rear was a huge change for the better.

Infinty front/Pioneer rear vs. Infinity all around was a smaller change for the better.

So, I'm a happy driver!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sorry. I still don't get it.

Why are people installing $85 speakers in their $38-41K vehicles?

Any audiophile will tell you that the speaker is the single most noticeable factor in a sound system. Doesn't anybody follow auto-sound magazines and journals, websites, and newsgroups? I have never, ever, even seen a set of Infinity co-axial or tri-axials (ugh!) in the finals at a local IASCA competition. Even someone with total ignorance of car audio can go into a Best Buys, Circuit City, Good Guys, Al & Eds and tell them to install the highest quality speakers they have in stock. They will not install Infinity co-axials in your vehicle.

They will suggest a component set, and even with the power absorbing passive x-over device, it will still be better sounding than co-axes w/out cross-overs (regardless if you have the 4 ohm Alpine base, or the 2 ohm Bose). Yes, they do cost more. But still, at less than 1% of your total cost of the car (tax/lic/reg), per pair, wouldn't you think its worth it. I'm not going to worry about telling you about name brands, as when you go from shop to shop and ask what about their most premium quality model, you will start to see a pattern. Then simply choose that set for an install. It still won't be a co-axial, and it won't be Infinity either.

1%, per pair. Is that an unreasonable amount to spend if you are disgruntled with the sound quality of your luxury vehicle?

Please, we need to hear from someone who has played with premium system architectures, who knows what they are talking about, in getting the best bang for the buck and without paying thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce said:

I don't think there is anything you need to get. From your perspective we would be band-aiding an inferior system rather than doing an upgrade.
I think it is more like an incremental improvement than a band-aid, and a totally conscious decision. For most of us that is sufficient for a motor vehicle, or sufficient 'for now'.
Personally, I am very jazzed (pun intended) about getting this vehicle on May 1st. The audio system is something I would not mind improving at some point but it is hardly a priority.
This doesn't mean that others do not have a clue about what's involved in a good sound system. And that compenents is the way to do it properly. I can not speak for everyone esle, but I hope you are not looking for an arguement, because you will not get one from me. You will not get an excuse either, but you will get a reason, I am exercising a choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
whatever you might call it may it be an upgrade or band aiding whatever.... you will notice the difference. as for speakers it is really up to the person. the best way is to try it first before buying it. as for the Dynamat....get the extremes and pad all the area inside the door..it really makes a big difference that i could attest. your door will also get that Mercedes or Bimmer thump when you close your door.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am looking forward to it. I have even ordered the same Infinity's (inferior to good components but superior to Bose) for mine. Lining my garage shelves with all these MDX accessories...so many accessories, so little time!
BTW from millionbuys I ordered the dynamat extreme kits.....you get a pair in each box, 10"X10" sheets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone out there tried the new Polk GXR6 speakers in their front doors? Polk's website mentions that these are "great" speakers for factory replacement and run at a 92dB efficiency.

Just curious... might get some and try :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
There are certainly have some valid points above. MB Quarts, BAs and others are better than Infinity's. But to many, myself included, the sound difference is not as great as the cost difference. Factor in that more power is needed for "high end" speakers, leading to an amp, and the cost grows. But as importantly, an amp takes space.............and I am using the rear headrest storage area for other things.

If you expand the speaker argument, you have to look at head unit, enclosure (meaning car as a whole), music source (CD is not as good as LP, as ..........vacuum tube amps.......)etc. Bottom line, the only good source for music is a perfect chamber with the live band. Takes a big car to do that though, and it can't run off "12 volts"!

The key to many people is what sounds good to them, not a magazine, competition, or ad. I post this simply because I do not want people to feel that they have to spend $100s to get a major improvement. Infinity’s will make a large improvement, and satisfy many people’s needs.

And BTW, I did find the signature line citing "very broke" interesting. If cost were no object, I would agree with many more points......;)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce said:
... we need to hear from someone who has played with premium system architectures, who knows what they are talking about, in getting the best bang for the buck and without paying thousands of dollars.
I have some experience with VERY high-end home audio & EXPENSIVE car audio -- worlds of difference!

The home audio stuff generally can sound very, very close to a real performance -- difficult to reproduce instruments like piano & tympani take very uncolored speakers & gobs of power. Contrast this to car audio, where the noise floor is VERY VERY high, even in the quietest vehicle, and you begin to see that "car audio competitions" are not about reproducing the sounds of hard to reproduce musical instruments, instead they are about LOUD.

Having said that, some good does come out of the competition mentality. First, it drives down the cost of more durable/exotic speakers. Second it drives the innovation of ever more powerful amps (which will enable great dynamics, not just more volume). Finally it fosters the acceptance of advanced installation.

The sad fact is that Acura got royally snowed by Bose. That pretty nearly everyone who spends $85 gets sound that is DRAMATICALLY better goes right to the heart of the matter.

The other factor is "different from stock" -- how much space/complexity are you willing to live with to get better sound. Clearly there are a SMALL NUMBER of people who will go to the trouble of installing bulky amps to deliver sound that is only subtlely better than the big step-up one gets from the $85 upgrade.

A vehicle is NOT a place for "critical listening". You can only do so much to isolate/eliminate noises. One can make the Bose system quite acceptable by investing around $100-200 in the speakers, dynamat, & bass blockers. The next step would probably cost $500, and would be better, but still far inferior to a $500 home system. If you were to go "hog wild" and spend $3000+ most of the cash would go to very slick installation with the highest quality amps, drivers, wiring et cetera. I suspect that most people would say that high dollar system sounds "better" but not night & day (like the $85 upgrade...). Further, most folks would prefer the FUNCTIONALITY of DVD video, multiple headphone jacks & integration with other 'telematics" than the SUBTLE improvement that would result from high dollar system (unless you want the THUNDER BASS competion trophy...)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just replaced my Touring door speakers (Bose) with Infiniti 652I's from millionbuy.com. I also applied dynamat on the speaker attachment areas and some inside the door. Here is my observations:

I first replaced the front doors only. Initially, I was a little dissapointed. I could still hear some "muddy" bose sound in the system, although the overall was somewhat improved.

Then, I replaced the rears (thanks to those of you in the my speaker upgrade thread, your instructions were right on!!) With all 4 Infiniti's installed, the system really came alive! CD's sound so much cleaner, highs are more defined, and there is more bass. I could not detect any change in volume levels, but the quality and clarity was much, much improved. Muddy bose is gone.

I used to run the bose system with the bass and treble turned way up, now I turned both back a couple notches, and on some selections turn the bass back more (similar to others posts). This helps clarity even more, limiting the cheap woofer's output.

Not bad for only approx $175

I also now notice a BIG difference in CD quality. CD's I received from one of those 12 for $1 companies are much lower in volume and quality compared to, say my Collective Soul Greatest Hits, which now really rocks my X.

A couple questions: I was a little concerned that the fronts screw directly to the plastic trim rather than the metal door, except the top screw hole. I think the sound would be even better if the speaker was mounted more solid (like the rears). I thought of trying to find an adapter ring that would fit...Any comments, or should the dynamat take care of any possible distortion? Also, has anyone tried replacing the tweeters and twiddler, and if so, any improvement noted?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, I found a REAL good deal on the Infinity's this week-end, so I got 2 Pr's. I put in the front set first, & I'm disapointed somewhat. The sound quality is more pure, high's are great, but the bass lacks, alot. Even if you turn it up, you just get alot more highs. It didn't seem to matter how I adjusted the treble or bass. I think I may return the other set, put the stocks back in the front. Then put the Infin's in the rear door's. I think tha should even out the sound throughout the vehicle better. I'd rather have a speaker that has a stronger bass quality to it, even though I don't care for over done bass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
lrpba300:

Before returning anything, replace the rears with Infiniti's and see what you think. With all four speakers replaced, that is when I noticed a big difference. The rear stock speakers are much cheaper than the fronts, so maybe a better improvement? I find bass is not a concern with all 4 infiniti's, I actually turn it down a little.

Keep in mind that if you want "thumpin" bass, you will need to increase the power to the speakers. Just a speaker upgrade will not allow you to wake the neighbors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts