Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we picked up our Mahogany 'X, we are seeing X's all over the place up here in MA.....we went to the Atrium Mall in Chestnut Hill this past Friday night, and they have free valet parking, and they will leave the "nice BMW, Mercedes, Porsche" in front of the mall so everyone can see them. So, we pull in to give the car to the valet, and there are two other X's parked out front, a Mesa Beige, and that new green color (??). Plus, they were all non-touring models!! So, I tip them a couple dollars so they will leave my car out front. So there were 3 MDX parked right next to each other in front of the mall!! Of course, our 'X was the best ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
MDX Sightings

I live close to the Atrium Mall and have noticed the same thing . . . it seems the X may be losing some of its exclusivity. I see you added a roof rack - any noticeable increase in wind noise? I'm considering doing the same thing with my premium. Also, can your remote start somehow be incorporated into the Acura fob or do you just carry around two? Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if there was any increased wind noise because the roof rack was installed prior to taking delivery of the car. My remote start (Viper) has it's own Fob, and we don't use the Acura Fob. The Viper acts as a keyless entry (locks\unlocks) and remote starter. The reason why it's better than the remote start that integrates into the Acura remote, is that you get MUCH better distance for the remote start. Think about how close you need to be to the truck to unlock or lock it....that would be your limit for the remote start. You want to be able to start the truck from your desk or in your house, if you don't have a garage. The only downside to my remote start, is that when it locks\unlocks the doors, it doesn't arm\disarm the factory alarm. My best friend has a shop that did the install, and they have not figured out how to integrate it into the alarm system, and he didn't want to use my car as the guinea pig for it....hopefully he will figure it out on a demo or something, and then put it into my car.....although I haven't asked if anyone knows on the board yet.....ahhh another post!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
remote distance

swhtech,

I am not sure what is the distance that your remote can operate the car. But with my manufacture remote, I could easily operate it with a good distance. (I say at least 100 feet away) And it doesn't required me to point to the car while using it. :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Still Few and Far Between

Here in the metro Houston area I can still go days without seeing one. I probably average about 3 sightings a week.

On the other hand I see Lincoln Navigators all over the place. I see more LX450s than MDXs. Probably a few more MBs than MDXs, but X5 sightings are probably about equal to that of MDXs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JTM,
I can operate the remote start from at least 500ft, if not more. But, it depends on your needs, and if you don't need to remote start from that far away, then it's not a concern.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
msu79gt82,
I see that you have a TL-S in WDP.....I have a TL in WDP too....do you know about acura-tl.com??? If not, check it out...anyway, I was wondering what your pinstripe looks like on your TL?? If you have pics, I would love to see it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Interesting that you have seen X's in MA. Last Sunday, my wife and I drove on the Mass Pike from 495 to Springfield and back and I did not see one other X on the road!

I have had mine for one month now and I love the stares I get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remote's effective distance....

swhtech/JTM,

You can increase the effectiveness of your remote by holding
it against your body (say, under your chin). Your body acts
as an antenna and you'd see a significant difference in the
distance from which you can operate the factory remote! My
dealer demonstrated this by pressing the panic button from
a few hundred feet away. Ofcourse, this is purely on a required
basis and don't forget that you have only 30 seconds (??) before
you open the door, or else the system will lock it back (nice
feature)!

These are radio-frequency remotes, and hence non-directional
(unlike infra-red ones), so you don't have to particularly point
it at the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
??

I will make sure that I park my base model MDX inside the Atrium mall so as not to offend swhtech. Sounds like the post last week from the guy scoffing at the base MDX because of the Goodyear tires. Michelin tires, 6-disc CD, and the world's worst roof rack for $2600? An extra $1000 or more for dealer-added plastic parts? Why spend $40k when $35k buys the same thing?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Boston area service dept.'s

I know a lot of you purchased your MDX far from the closest dealer. I have one on order in RI, but I have heard of some that have gone as far as Florida. My question is, where are you going to get your MDX serviced? Clair and Acura of Boston are closest to me, but I might still use the dealer in RI. Anyone have positive or negative feedback on Boston area service departments? Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
MDX88-
I bought mine from Acura of Peabody after experiencing general dissastisfaction with the local dealers. They're about 20 minutes north of Boston. I've only had it in for one service appointment so far and things went smoothly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: Boston Service

Wife has used the Acura dealer on Soldier's Field Road (don't know what the name is) and I have used Acura of Auburn. Both have been perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
MDX88

I bought my MDX at Clair and although I was not terribly happy with the sales team, the service crew has been very helpful and concerned with my satisfaction. While I have only been in for very minor tweeks, I believe that they will be fine for service. Based on what I have read on this site, their prices for routine service seem reasonable.
I live in Mass, but near RI, so I looked at MDX's in RI. It was one of the RI dealers that could get me an MDX in 2 months, but that the cars "come from the factory with accessories installed". Be wary of this stupid tactic to inflate their profit.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: ??

dboyce said:
I will make sure that I park my base model MDX inside the Atrium mall so as not to offend swhtech. Sounds like the post last week from the guy scoffing at the base MDX because of the Goodyear tires. Michelin tires, 6-disc CD, and the world's worst roof rack for $2600? An extra $1000 or more for dealer-added plastic parts? Why spend $40k when $35k buys the same thing?
I think you mis-read swtech's posting. He has a base (Premium is base not touring) so you had 3 base all parked together in front. Probably one of those rare times you would not worry about getting dings or not having body side moulding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: ??

DaleB,
Yes, you are correct....I was saying that I thought it was a rare instance where there were 3 base models, instead of the more common siting of a touring 'X!! The Atrium is the only place that I will use the valet parking service. I have never had a problem with a ding, or even worse, my seat being totally screwed up for someone to drive my car for less than 5 minutes!! I hate that!!

DaleB said:

I think you mis-read swtech's posting. He has a base (Premium is base not touring) so you had 3 base all parked together in front. Probably one of those rare times you would not worry about getting dings or not having body side moulding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Street is now 33% MDX!

My neighbor down the street took delivery of a silver MDX a few weeks ago, bringing the MDX representation on the street up to 33%! OK, so its only two of six houses, but it is begining to feel like a trend. From being pretty much the only MDX around when we first got it (November 2000) I now see at least 10 a day around here in the western 'burbs of Boston.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts