Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered additional security for their MDXs. I live in NYC and would feel more comfortable if I had more than the factory installed alarm system. Please provide insights from research and experience on locks, passive alarms, tracking devices, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a Clifford alarm system installed on my MDX, and it adds auto arming which will automatically lock your trucks doors, when you leave the truck, and set the alarm (which I would always forget to do...)and the doors will lock when you start the truck. It does integrate with the factory alarm system, so you actually have both of them running. You must use the alarm's keyfob to operate it, and not the Acura one (just stick it in a drawer and forget about it) - but that doesn't bother me at all. The main purpose for me installing the alarm system was not for anti-theft, because if "they" want it, "they" are going to get it, it was to all the auto-locking - this is a MUST.
Just my .02

·
Registered
241 Posts
A great alarm, for guys (see second link)

Check out this URL. It's worth the wait for the damn thing to load. Keep clicking the Continue button -- there's usually more!

Why 'for guys?' See Dave Berry's column on humor ratings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The San Francisco Bay Area Acura Dealers....

are now offering Lo Jack as on option on all Acura vehicles. For $ 500.00 which is comparable to an aftermarket alarm, this option might now offer much for protecting your vehicle from theft but what alarm does anyways, at least with the Lo Jack it can be recoveres within a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
larryk said:
I had a Clifford alarm system installed on my MDX, and it adds auto arming which will automatically lock your trucks doors, when you leave the truck, and set the alarm (which I would always forget to do...)and the doors will lock when you start the truck. It does integrate with the factory alarm system, so you actually have both of them running. You must use the alarm's keyfob to operate it, and not the Acura one (just stick it in a drawer and forget about it) - but that doesn't bother me at all. The main purpose for me installing the alarm system was not for anti-theft, because if "they" want it, "they" are going to get it, it was to all the auto-locking - this is a MUST.
Just my .02
I have the Solaris and I love it with auto lock and unlock and the auto start feature. The quick-stop is great also for leaving the SUV running while going into a store and come out and don't have to re-start, and the alarm was on during the duration. It's great!!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Could you guys shed some light on pricing for the Clifford and Solaris?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Viper

You may also want to consider the Viper 550 ESP. It is an alarm/autostart combo, integrates well with the factory alarm, and cost around $400 Cdn.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MDXtrous said:
Could you guys shed some light on pricing for the Clifford and Solaris?
About $600 with the auto start, and I added a digital tilt sensor and a battery backed siren. I added the tilt sensor in case they try to tow and the battery backed siren incase they drain battery or if battery goes low the siren tells you. Other than those two add ones everything comes included. You could add auto open and close of windows and sunroof but that may add a bit to much. The website has all the local authorized dealers listed. You may be able to negiotiate $550-$650. I strongly advise the clifford over the viper if want the high end package. It has a unique kill switch that is coded so you don't even have to hide it. Most alarms have a hidden kill switch that will disable alarm once ignition is turned on. The clifford kill or diable switch is not hidden because if you don't know code you can't disable the system. This is one of the unique items of clifford. Viper and clifford are both owned by the same company directed, but clifford is there most advanced system. Check the details out below on their website.

www.clifford.com

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Viper

Wongster said:
You may also want to consider the Viper 550 ESP. It is an alarm/autostart combo, integrates well with the factory alarm, and cost around $400 Cdn.
Good luck.
What's the difference between the Viper 550 ESP and the 300 ESP? Any difference?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Re: Viper

MDXtrous said:

What's the difference between the Viper 550 ESP and the 300 ESP? Any difference?
Check out this site for all Directed Inc. Alarms. It should have all the details.

www.directed.com

·
Registered
125 Posts
Viper 300 ESP vs 550 ESP

The main difference is 550 is an alarm/autostart combo, where the 300 is just an alarm system. Other differences include 550 uses Super High Frequency (vs High Frequency in 300), 550 has 4 receiver channels (vs 3 in 300), 550 has 5 zone identification (vs 4 in 300). For more detailed info, check out www.directed.com, there are certainly other alternatives you can consider.
Good luck.

·
Registered
351 Posts
How careful do you have to be when choosing someone to install an alarm system? May be silly, but the thought of someone other than Acura tinkering under the hood makes me a bit nervous. Seems like the electronics could be fairly complicated and it could be easy for someone who thinks they know what they're doing to mess something else up in the process. I'd just hate to go through the process and then spend the next 6 months trying to have them figure out why interior lights don't turn on anymore or something like that..... :3:

Any tips on what questions you can ask to make sure they really do know what they're doing?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Besides the auto-lock, auto-start, shock sensors, what additional benefits do you get from an aftermarket alarm? Doesn't the factory alarm come with an immobilizer?

Some have mentioned on the acura-tl and acura-cl forums that they have chosen to add shock and motion sensors to the factory alarm and that was sufficient/cheaper solution.

Just weighing the value of spending a few hundred dollars more.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MDXtrous said:
Besides the auto-lock, auto-start, shock sensors, what additional benefits do you get from an aftermarket alarm? Doesn't the factory alarm come with an immobilizer?

Some have mentioned on the acura-tl and acura-cl forums that they have chosen to add shock and motion sensors to the factory alarm and that was sufficient/cheaper solution.

Just weighing the value of spending a few hundred dollars more.
There is an immobilizer system in the MDX separate from the stock alarm. The stock alarm has no glass no tilt sensors. The factory alarm can be quickly disarmed by putting a knife in the keyhole to the door and twisting. The keyhole in door is a manual diactivation switch. If you set off the factory alarm try putting your key in drivers door and unlock this will disarm the system, not to good! Then they can steal anything inside your SUV. The immobilizer is still on and they won't be able to start the car, but can tow it!! The clifford will protect the interior, and from they removing the SUV from the area. Once you have the clifford installed you will actually have two immobilizer systems going plus the interior protection.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
dmyles said:
How careful do you have to be when choosing someone to install an alarm system? May be silly, but the thought of someone other than Acura tinkering under the hood makes me a bit nervous. Seems like the electronics could be fairly complicated and it could be easy for someone who thinks they know what they're doing to mess something else up in the process. I'd just hate to go through the process and then spend the next 6 months trying to have them figure out why interior lights don't turn on anymore or something like that..... :3:

Any tips on what questions you can ask to make sure they really do know what they're doing?
The dealer are using audiovox systems to protect the SUV's. IMO I would not want an audiovox system protecting a 40k SUV. They are not to well know for quality equipment. They also tend to false trigger alot. I would of had the dealer install a system but they refused to use anything else, saying theirs was the best. I did alot of research to find out all the problems with the audiovox system.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
paul123 said:

There is an immobilizer system in the MDX separate from the stock alarm. The stock alarm has no glass no tilt sensors. The factory alarm can be quickly disarmed by putting a knife in the keyhole to the door and twisting. The keyhole in door is a manual diactivation switch. If you set off the factory alarm try putting your key in drivers door and unlock this will disarm the system, not to good! Then they can steal anything inside your SUV. The immobilizer is still on and they won't be able to start the car, but can tow it!! The clifford will protect the interior, and from they removing the SUV from the area. Once you have the clifford installed you will actually have two immobilizer systems going plus the interior protection.
So, I can be parked on a NYC street, and someone can just break my driver's side window, climb in, steal everything and the alarm won't even sound??!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Integrated Clifford with Factory

I just got back from my installer who was finally able to arm both factory and clifford alarms thru the clifford remote. I can also disarm both the factory and the clifford thru the aftermarket alarm. At first I had to manually arm the factory even though you really don't need it once the cliifford was installed. I just wanted the flashing stock alarm to light together with the clifford alarm light. It works great, never false alarms and gives warning chirps if someone opens a door and hits your SUV. Even if someone walks by and accidentially hits the side mirror it will give a warning chirp. NEVER FALSE TRIGGERS AT ALL. The less expensive alarms false trigger more often. Clifford uses a digital micro-computer to analyze the triggering. :2: :D :eek: :5: :7: :15: :26:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
THAT's RIGHT

MDXtrous said:

So, I can be parked on a NYC street, and someone can just break my driver's side window, climb in, steal everything and the alarm won't even sound??!!
Yes the factory alarm has no glass sensor or motion sensor. It will go off if the door is opened. All you have to do is put a screwdriver in the driver door lock and turn to unlock breaking the lock cylinder and the factory alarm is disarmed. The key in drivers door is a manual arm and disarm. Audiovox is not a good system at all. The immobilizer only protects the ignition and starting of the car, nothing from being stolen from the inside. Radio, Navi, Video. or leather seats and so on. That's why IMO it's a must for an aftermarket alarm. The dealer can add sensors made by audiovox to the existing system but IMO they are no good and the system can still be disarmed threw the door lock!!!!:13: :3: :eek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
21 Participants
smg1062
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing