Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the security system that is standard in the MDX. Our 1 week old 2003 was broken into last night and ransacked. Luckily, having lived in the city for the last 3 years we know better than to put anything of value into our car and nothing was taken. It's pathetic when you have to feel grateful that they didn't do anything else malicious. As far as I can tell they only took CD mixes. My question is how you all think they got in, besides the slight possiblity that we forgot to set the alarm. As far as we can tell, the alarm did not go off. I tried to set off the alarm myself, but I'm not an experienced burglar. Pulling on door handles don't set off the alarm but the panic button works.

Does anyone else have any experience with their MDX broken into by bypassing the alarm?

Anyone opt to put in an aftermarket alarm? I've read a few threads mentioning the difficulty of incorporating an outside alarm system with the existing one.

Thanks,
Carrie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, man... Eventhough I can't give you any good advice, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what happen. I can't even imagine how bad it is to deal with something like that a week after you bought a car. Good luck to you.
P.S. Congress, please approve the law that will allow me to shoot somebody for breaking into my car...

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Incidents like this irritate me extremely!:3:

First of all, I don't have any experience in anyone bypassing the factory alarm, due to, in part, because of the installation of an aftermarket security system approx 1 week after purchasing my X.

Secondly, I would highly recommend installing an aftermarket system that integrates with the factory security system. I have the Prestige security system with remote start and two way paging. The Clifford system is also an effective security system that can integrate well with the factory system.

Please do searches on this subject "alarm systems" "security systems" and you'll find a plethora of information regarding these systems.

miro,

I'm with you. Just two days ago, some punk teenagers attempted to break in my sons Honda CRX. The thieves got a "nice surprise" when 6 people chased them away with baseball bats, crow bars, and weightlifting equipment. The were lucky to barely get away unharmed, this time.....

:3:

·
Registered
46 Posts
to test your alarm, open the driver window, then close and lock the door. now reach in and pull up the lock by hand. you should get loudness and such from this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't say that I have had my car broken into, but I can add information on the topic of finding a good aftermarket system. If you decide to go this route, make sure you research the install shop. The quality of installation is very important to the protection of the car.

When I had an alarm put into my car all the shops were the same with providing no information on the benefits of their install over the rest. I did find one that did a great job of explaining what they were going to install, how they would install it, and why. This shop cost approx. 50% more, but I feel it was money well spent.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Alarm Install

JR8 said:
I can't say that I have had my car broken into, but I can add information on the topic of finding a good aftermarket system. If you decide to go this route, make sure you research the install shop. The quality of installation is very important to the protection of the car.

When I had an alarm put into my car all the shops were the same with providing no information on the benefits of their install over the rest. I did find one that did a great job of explaining what they were going to install, how they would install it, and why. This shop cost approx. 50% more, but I feel it was money well spent.
ckchana,

Ditto on JR8's comment about having a good install shop do the work. You want to be absolutely certain it is done properly and meets your requirements. I added an Alpine security system as part of my A/V install. If you are in northern VA I can recommend a good place.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ckchanha,

You were a bit vague about the break-in. Please provide a little info:

** Was any window glass broken?

** Was a lock tweaked or picked?

** Did they go in through the roof with a can opener?

????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
srpbep said:
ckchanha,

You were a bit vague about the break-in. Please provide a little info:

** Was any window glass broken?

** Was a lock tweaked or picked?

** Did they go in through the roof with a can opener?

????
Thanks for everyone's reply. I guess I was a bit vague about the break-in because we're not sure how they got in. Nothing was broken or scratched, locks look intact and functioning properly. In a previous car I had that was jimmied, the locks never worked quite the same. I'm just trying to figure out if it is possible to break-in without setting the alarm off and if anyone has had an experience like this. Like I mentioned before, there is a slight possibility that we stupidly left it unlocked (I'm the last person to proclaim perfection), but we enjoy the little beeping lock sound so much we don't think that's what happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other question...our Acura dealer did mention that the factory alarm system is great and that we shouldn't bother adding another alarm system. Uh, I don't think so. After reading some of the alarm and security threads, we are definitely going to install something else. Previous threads have said that you can simply disarm the alarm by putting a screwdriver into the driver side keyhole and turning it.

But the dealer did say something that I haven't seen or read on this forum or in any brochures. He mentioned that the keys are electronically chipped, can not be simply copied at a hardware store, and that the car will not start without a factory cut key. Can anyone substantiate this or are these keys simply regular keys? We didn't believe him because it was clear he didn't know much about the MDX. But we didn't care because we felt we knew everything we needed to know from this forum :D and just wanted to leave the dealership with our car ASAP.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The MDX keys are indeed "chipped". Every time you get into your X you stare right at the sticker for the immobilizer system on the drivers side window.(picture of key in an engine) On the dash a green key will light up when you turn the key to acc acknowledging proper "chipped" key is in ignition if light goes out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can also confirm that the key has electronic chip inside and it supposely (sp?) change the code all the time. I have the same thing on my Diamante, and I can tell you I had interesting experience with it. One day after work I just couldn't start my car. The starter would crank but engine wouldn't start. Imagine how pissed I was since it happened 3 days after I picked up the car. It turned out that I had a problem with the key. I was amazed, I thought that if electronic chip inside the key is not recognized or not working it wouldn't even open the door left alone cranking the starter. It might work the same way on MDX.

·
3,109 Posts
ckchanha said:
He mentioned that the keys are electronically chipped, can not be simply copied at a hardware store, and that the car will not start without a factory cut key.
thats true, but a copy made at a hardware store is good for opening the doors (from what I've read here in the forums). however you might consider having one made if you have a cat :2: (see: Feline-Instigated Auto Locking http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3664)

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
zafer said:

thats true, but a copy made at a hardware store is good for opening the doors (from what I've read here in the forums). you might consider having one made if you have a cat :2: (see: Feline-Instigated Auto Locking http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3664)
LOL, That was a nice story. Thanks zafer. Now, I too will visit AAA to get a plastic key.:4:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stolen Valet Key

Last weekend my wife borrowed the X and forgot to lock it when she returned. Overnight, someone empty the glove box and stole the leather owner's manual holder. I foolishly left the valet key in the holder.

What should I do? Do I need to have the door locks replaced?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Zafer - I love the sig!:2:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Keys

I went through this last year. You can go to the dealer and declare "all" keys lost and they will order new one’s then reprogram your immobilizing system to the new keys. This will not prevent the thief from entering your car but they will not be able to start it. My dealer really didn't want to re-key the doors. Your original remotes can be reprogrammed so you don't need to replace them.

Here's my story.
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2641&highlight=keys+stolen

My homeowners did pay for the new keys - deducible.

Good luck
Niles

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
ckchanha said:
I have a question about the security system that is standard in the MDX. Our 1 week old 2003 was broken into last night and ransacked. Luckily, having lived in the city for the last 3 years we know better than to put anything of value into our car and nothing was taken. It's pathetic when you have to feel grateful that they didn't do anything else malicious. As far as I can tell they only took CD mixes. My question is how you all think they got in, besides the slight possiblity that we forgot to set the alarm. As far as we can tell, the alarm did not go off. I tried to set off the alarm myself, but I'm not an experienced burglar. Pulling on door handles don't set off the alarm but the panic button works.

Does anyone else have any experience with their MDX broken into by bypassing the alarm?

Anyone opt to put in an aftermarket alarm? I've read a few threads mentioning the difficulty of incorporating an outside alarm system with the existing one.

Thanks,
Carrie
Check out this site for an excellent alarm system with auto-start and alot of great features
www.clifford.com

Also do a search on alarm systems there has been alot of threads on them. I actually purchased the solaris system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 MDX broken into, glass broken

My 2008 MDX car window was broken and my purse stolen in broad daylight. My car doors were locked. Isn't the alarm system supposed to go off? Does anyone know ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts