Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
After my trans rebuild at 188K mi, I installed these from Amazon

Pro-comp 9" Inch Electric Automotive Radiator Transmission/oil Cooler Fan 12 Volt

and

B&M 70274 SuperCooler Black Aluminum Fluid Cooler

along with

Hayden Automotive 106 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose
and
Derale 13008 5/16"- to 1/2" Hoses Stainless Steel Hose Clamps

Now, my trans fluid bypasses the in-radiator cooler and instead goes only through this fan-cooled oil cooler. When I'm climbing a slow, twisty, steep grade like the Sierra Nevadas near Whitney, it goes in at around 190F and comes out about 125F, according to my laser-temperature gun. Previously, it was going into my radiator and towing cooler at 230F and exiting at 180F - doesn't seem the Acura tow package system is very good at all at cooling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
^ That is because the OEM Setup in a 1G MDX is a Warmer not a Cooler.
The 2G MDX was the one that installed an ATF Cooler inline with the Warmer.

The idea of the Warmer is to make the ATF keep a nominal temperature not too cold and not too hot... It wasn`t designed to dissipate higher temps from high load, hill climb or towing.
No - its intended to do both, and does neither very well.

And - its burning up my transmission - I live in Los Angeles.

If you live in areas with cold winters, I would just route the exit hose coming from the after market cooler into the radiator "warmer" to bring it back up to temp. Also the fan is relayed into the radiator fan circuit and only blows when the radiator fan is also blowing. Its not blowing constantly, only in parallel to the radiator temp. This is the ideal set up according to forums dedicated to transmission and engine oil cooling, there's a whole subculture going on there.

By the way, some light reading on this issue will confirm the idea that warming the fluid is way less important than cooling the fluid. Hot fluid kills your transmission, whereas warming it helps with drivability during the first 10 minutes. Even in sub-freezing temps, trans fluid gets hot quickly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
^ That is because the OEM Setup in a 1G MDX is a Warmer not a Cooler.
The 2G MDX was the one that installed an ATF Cooler inline with the Warmer.

The idea of the Warmer is to make the ATF keep a nominal temperature not too cold and not too hot... It wasn`t designed to dissipate higher temps from high load, hill climb or towing.
Also, I have the Acura tow package add-on cooler - its just a u-shaped tube and only partially finned. Fluid goes in at 230F and comes out at 205F, going uphill. What good is that? Whatever cause/effect/intent you want to apply, its a poor engineering design. Just like the 01/02 transmissions and several model years of the TL.

"It's a great car, just don't go up, or over any mountains, and don't tow anything."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.