Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,389 Posts
If it isn´t slipping then what is the problem?
Transmission Over is not uncommon granted is not common on MDX without towing or doing hill climb off road but getting a Transmission Over Heat is not the end of the world and its not a sign of a transmission failure. I have gotten my trans heated up quite a few times on my 2G MDX while doing off road.

If the level is correct and the transmission is working as is I would just call it a problem with the transmission temp sensor.
You would need to install an aftermarket ATF temp sensor inline with the radiator ATF Warmer lines to be sure the ATF temp is not actually over heating.

The correct procedure as your owner manuals states is:
1.- Stop driving and get to the side of the road.
2.- Let your transmission cool down in park or neutral (DO NOT SHUT OFF THE ENGINE).
3.- Wait till the AT Temp light goes away and get on your way.

Are you using the correct Honda DW-1 ATF? Last time my 2G TL-S smoked its trans was because I used Amsoil Syn ATF which foamed up and got puked out of the transmission, Honda trans are very picky with ATF.

· Registered
3,389 Posts
Yeah that is what happened to my TL-S (I got a 2G TL-S with also the same dreaded transmission issues as the early 1st Gen MDX) when I used Amsoil ATF. The 2G MDX uses a beefed up transmission specifically made to handle the load capacity and weight of the MDX, The 1st gen MDX trans was a derivative of Honda Sedans V6 Transmissions so its far weaker than the 2G MDX transmission.

ATF literally foams up and the Foam goes out from the transmission casing breather tube (You can find this breather tube directly beneath the Engine Air Hose, its on top of the transmission housing using a very small rubber tube that does not connect to anything. In the 2G MDX they added a small filter box for it. Once outside the foam goes back into liquid form and that is where you lose ATF. This is not normal but it has nothing to do with the transmission issues which are lack of lubrication to the 3rd gear clutch pack.

Something is definitely off if the trans is foaming up the DW-1.. I got 2 dead trans in my TL-S from normal transmission failure and none of them puked the ATF, The only one that did was the Amsoil filled one. I am now running an AV6 Swap so no more dead trans for this guy, Sadly the MDX offers no viable alternative swap.

· Registered
3,389 Posts
^ That is because the OEM Setup in a 1G MDX is a Warmer not a Cooler.
The 2G MDX was the one that installed an ATF Cooler inline with the Warmer.

The idea of the Warmer is to make the ATF keep a nominal temperature not too cold and not too hot... It wasn`t designed to dissipate higher temps from high load, hill climb or towing.

· Registered
3,389 Posts
I live in San Diego and have a 2G TL-S with the dreaded 5 speed glass transmission.. Tell me about transmission cooling?.

Again the warmer is not designed to dissipate higher loads.. The warmer is primarily designed to keep a nominal ATF Temp under normal driving conditions ex: No load just driving around I obviously have by passed this in my TLS and now by passed in my 2G MDX for our 120*F Summers.

You will get trans hot from a hill climb because there is no air flow to the cooler radiator.. I explained a trick in my 2G MDX Off Road guide here: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-mdx-discussion-2001-2013-166/depth-off-road-review-mdx-954458/ on how to avoid this scenario easily for free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.