Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is part one of three since I'm limited by the picture attachment size.

To access the third row, the seat on the passenger side slides forward and tilts forward as shown below:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2 of 3.

You can also fold down the seat to make room for cargo ...

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 3 of 3.

And for the less than agile folks who need to sit in back, you can fold the seat flat and slide it forward (you may need to remove the head rest):

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technical Details for those who care

Since I wasted a bunch of time trying to get the pictures < 102,400 bytes, this is what I did:

I use a Canon G2 set a maximum resolution & quality (4.0 Mega pixels). I use Auto white balance although I should have set it for Daylight balanced FL tubes. I used the built-in flash.

I import the pictures into Microsoft Photo Editor. I resize the picture to 25% and save it at 90 for JPEG quality.
A 100 Q setting yielded a 224K file while 90 Q yielded a 76K file.

Attempts to reduce the colors from 24 to 8 bit yielded really bad looking pictures so I left it at true color (24 bit).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the tips. How easy is it to remove the head rest from the 2nd row? I see you also have the running board, does it make it easier to get into the 3rd row?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
w,

The headrests are very easy to remove, just pull them up and out.
To reinstall, you have to hold a lever so that you can push past the detents on the headrest columns.

I haven't had a chance to install the running boards yet. I got home late last night and just started an inventory of the parts (I don't want to start the installation and find out I'm missing a part). There's almost a hundred pieces and then I'll have to make sure I have the right metric sockets and find my torque wrench.

The MDX manual explains how to recline the second and third row seats (< 4 inches) although I did not find any mention (OK, I didn't read the entire manual) of how to both fold down the seat and slide it forward. I'll give people a chance to try to figure out how I did it before posting the answer (unless someone else posts before I do).

To tell the truth, I didn't buy the MDX because it has a third row of seats so I don't intend on using them. However, I find it hard to get in (and even harder to get out) with the second row seat just tilted forward. It's easier if the seat is folded flat and pushed forward. There is a handle indentation on the left side of the door frame which I don't seem to use to get in/out. I would think that with the running boards installed, it would be easier to get in/out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Almost the same Q as Wongster, but do you have a feeling if the Running Boards or the Side Steps offer more ease at getting into the 3rd seat. Or, did you prefer the look of Running Boards over Side Steps?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wongster and Grape-Nutz,

I have the side steps installed on mine. In my opinion, they don't make much difference if you are not "vertically challenged". You have to pretty much twist your body to get in and out of the third row seats. But then, I don't have to deal with it since I get to be in the driver seat. I'm not sure if there are really easy access to the third row for any SUV's out there in the market.
For me, just having the third row seats were good enough. I don't use it enough to justify the easy accessibility of the third row seats. If that was really important to me, I would have gotten a minivan over the MDX.

bef,

Thanks for the tips on how to post smaller size pics.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GN,

The reason why I bought the running boards was so that I can easily access the roof for cleaning and the occasional use of the racks for additional/bulky cargo. With the running boards you can step on any part along the entire length and it has a rubberized surface to keep you from slipping.

If you want an MDX before February, I suggest calling the local dealers each day to see if one becomes available. Before the 2002 prices were announced, I originally was on a list to get one in December, I called another dealer and they claimed that they could get one sooner because they are a bigger dealership. Both required me to buy overpriced accessories ($2100 at the first) one so there was plenty of incentive to keep looking.
After reading the dealer reviews I called Michelle Zhang in Pasadena and she said she had a 2002 188 GG in transit and if I wanted it I needed to place a deposit that night. After confirming that there were no markups nor required overpriced accessories, I drove up there and placed my deposit. The Monday after Thanksgiving it arrived at the dealership and on Tuesday I picked it up. All 3 dealerships had MDXs available that I could have bought immediately if I wasn't picky about the year, color, model, or accessories. In my case I got exactly what I wanted.
All the accessories that I need (well, some things I don't really need) are available from Tim at discounted prices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bef,

Thanks for the info - now I'm thinking Running Boards instead of Side Steps.

I had my short list down to Cerritos, Downey, and Pasadoughnuts. So far, I've only placed a deposit with Cerritos, but now I'm going to give the others a call as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Grey interior

Why does your interior look grey? I thought GG only came in Ebony, and that Ebony = black?

I wish grey was a choice, because I would have gotten SS with it - I didn't want black!

Probably just a lighting trick?

·
Registered
580 Posts
ebony interior

That's just the way it looks on the picture on the internet. They don't have grey interior. But your right it would be nice if they gave that as a choice. Expecially for the new colors they came out with and the old. Like the white, granite green, redrock red. I think those would look good with grey.

Lmeans

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's just the way it looks on the picture on the internet. They don't have grey interior. But your right it would be nice if they gave that as a choice. Expecially for the new colors they came out with and the old. Like the white, granite green, redrock red. I think those would look good with grey.
Lmeans,

Grey would have been great -- we have a '99 TL with the Laguna Green (essentially the same as Granite Green), and it came with grey leather -- we think it looks really nice.

Don

·
Registered
50 Posts
after reading your posts and looking at the pictures I showed the salesperson at Palm Beach Acura today the trick about the second seat and removing the headrest. She did not know about it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: bef--

lmeans said:
Where did you get the floor mat for the back row seat????

Lmeans
Lmrans,

It should come with the 'DX. That is the Acura mat, same material and design. Just smaller to fit the third row seat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All,

As was pointed out by others the mats really are black.
The gray color is due to how cameras are programmed to interpret scene exposure as being an average of 18% black. So in general if you take a picture of a black (or white) dominant scene the camera will incorrectly expose the picture and will produce a gray picture. Photographers who know/care about this will normally adjust the exposure. I was too lazy to do this :eek: since I had just received my order of accessories from Tim. :D

I still haven't finished installing everything (guess what I'm doing this weekend :p) so don't expect perfect pictures.

So, how many of you figured out how to fold the seat down and slide it forward?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
bef -- two tries and it worked. I wouldn't have thought of it, but thanks for the (sneaky) idea!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
frostyra,

We can start a secret society with A2MDXer as our first visitor!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts