Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: this is a shout out to all MDXers who miss a great deal; like myself . i spoke to Tim and he mention that if we could get 15 happy buyer for a rear deflector, he would give us that great deal once again. A great deal at $275.+ :cool

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feed Back

MDXtrous:
Thank You! I went 2 the site and found no pic, nothing. I feel more better with a sure thing. Thank you once again. :cool:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here's a pic from the auction

It looks just like mine if you ask me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The guy's got an e-mail and a phone number. Jessenj, why don't you let everyone know how it is whe it comes in. Who knows, there can even be a group buy from him.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Hey no hijacking the thread :D .
Anywho Im game for this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
$199 painted is a great price if it's a quality part. Please let us know how it turns out, jessenj!

I went with a third party part for my side steps (Manik instead of Acura) and couldn't be happier, so I'm willing to do so again. The thing about the tailgate deflector is that its functional purpose is actually rather limited -- keeping rain off the rear window. As long as the part fits right, looks good and doesn't introduce any wind noise, it's a good part.

That said, I'd buy painted genuine flares and lower trim from Tim if I had $1300 sitting around...

Z

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got my painted Tailgate Deflector yesterday. Everything looks great. Now all I have to do is install it and then I let you all know how it came out. It seems pretty simple to install, so I'll keep you posted. I'll also put up some pix so you can check it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, the deflector itself is of really decent quality, the only problem i had was that the screw holes in the deflector don't match up to the anchor marks on the tailgate itself. However, I didn't realize that they don't quite match up until after I'd drilled the holes in the tailgate, so the next thing to do was to drill new holes in the deflector. What a pain in the ass. Basically, I'll break it down like this:

Pros:
The Deflector is definitely worth the price
It is excellent quality and very firm for being very light
The paint job is a perfect match

Cons:
Screw holes aren't aligned properly
The instructions absolutely SUCK (3 lines of text typed on a page)
Didn't come with sealer or a rubber gasket (had some kind of foam)
Took a while to receive
The screws are not philips or flat, they are square-holed

Overall, once I got it on, it looks GREAT! Honestly. I will post some pix. Just to note, the MDX was extremely easy to drill through, but if I were going to do the install again, I'd definitely buy a punch-tool to mark my drill spot. Its a little tough to drill through paint and clearcoat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure u wash the metal filings from the X

Just as a small reminder. After u drill through the tailgate, make sure u wash away any small metal filings. They will rust quickly and cause u unbelievable amounts of anguish. I had some filings on the back bumper but they washed off :D

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Re: Make sure u wash the metal filings from the X

superdave said:
Just as a small reminder. After u drill through the tailgate, make sure u wash away any small metal filings. They will rust quickly and cause u unbelievable amounts of anguish. I had some filings on the back bumper but they washed off :D

Also use touch up paint to paint all the bare metal and wait for it to dry dont rush!.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hey Jessenj . . .

Did you get (and pay) an extra charge from UPS for entry fees when you ordered your deflector ? Apparently this deflector originated from Canada and there are extra shipping charges that weren't disclosed on ebay ?!?

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
jessenj said:
Well, the deflector itself is of really decent quality, the only problem i had was that the screw holes in the deflector don't match up to the anchor marks on the tailgate itself. However, I didn't realize that they don't quite match up until after I'd drilled the holes in the tailgate, so the next thing to do was to drill new holes in the deflector. What a pain in the ass. Basically, I'll break it down like this:

Pros:
The Deflector is definitely worth the price
It is excellent quality and very firm for being very light
The paint job is a perfect match

Cons:
Screw holes aren't aligned properly
The instructions absolutely SUCK (3 lines of text typed on a page)
Didn't come with sealer or a rubber gasket (had some kind of foam)
Took a while to receive
The screws are not philips or flat, they are square-holed

Overall, once I got it on, it looks GREAT! Honestly. I will post some pix. Just to note, the MDX was extremely easy to drill through, but if I were going to do the install again, I'd definitely buy a punch-tool to mark my drill spot. Its a little tough to drill through paint and clearcoat.
jessenj has hit the nail on the head.

I've also purchased a tailgate deflector from the same seller and his pros and cons are accurate. jessenj was brave in doing a self install. I let a friend of mine (racing car mechanic) install mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts