Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed wear on their saddle leather seats. I'm not sure if the cold weather has contributed to the change in appearance, but on our seats it looks like the finish is wearing off slightly or that the grain is opening up. It looks like the dye is fading somewhat and the finish has rubbed off a little. It looks as though the seats have received much more wear than they actually have.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
wit said:
Has anyone noticed wear on their saddle leather seats. I'm not sure if the cold weather has contributed to the change in appearance, but on our seats it looks like the finish is wearing off slightly or that the grain is opening up. It looks like the dye is fading somewhat and the finish has rubbed off a little. It looks as though the seats have received much more wear than they actually have.

Has anyone seen anything similar?
On the ebony seats in front (rears don't get much use) I notice creases in the side bolsters. I now have sheepskin covers on the fronts for additional comfort and protection.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dale,
Do the covers not affect the Side impact Airbags? If so what kind are they, I am also noticeing the wear in my seats

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have noticed a stretch of the drivers seat bottom cushion. It now has a few ripples. Is this normal for a leather seat. I imagine it might spring back if not used for a period? I have never owned a vehicle with leather seats.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We have not noticed any abnormal wear in the ...

... MDX or in the TL-S (which has identical leather, I think).

·
Registered
443 Posts
This MAY have something to do with the seat color too.

- On my Montero, I have black leather seats. I have been driving it for 2 years now after buying it brand new - no signs of wear.

- On my 2002 TL-S (sold now), I had black or dark grey leather - after 1 year and 23K miles - also no signs of wear.

- On my three week old MDX with 1500 miles I have beige (or whatever the correct name of color :)) leather - and it shows definite signs of wear, such as lines and "wrinkles"

- On my friend's 1999 4Runner with beige leather, same problem, but much stronger!

So, IMO, it may be two things: either leather color or type of leather used on MDX.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
- On my friend's 1999 4Runner with beige leather, same problem, but much stronger!
We had this problem on our '98 4Runner w/ beige leather. Our 2month old X w/ saddle is showing this wear in the same locations, too! I wonder if it is caused by the dye in denim? I know the inside of our clothes dryer is denim blue. Just a thought... :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Beige shows more wear IMO...

Based on my experience beige leather shows more wear. I have had beige in BMW and Expedtion and while it cleaned up pretty well it did show more wear. I have had black (mainly because of kids) and have noticed that it looked better longer. My black interior shows little if any wear except a crease on the left driver's side bolster which is vinyl anyway.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
All of the above.

I noticed the big creases after 2 weeks.

I'm going to use some Mother's Leather Cleaner when the weather warms up in hopes of softening the leather and hiding some of the creases.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts