Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken my 2001 MDX into the dealership twice for the loose seat rails and both times they said they couldnt reproduce the problem. Then I found that others on this web site had the same problem and that there was even a TSB issued - Finally! Well, I called the dealer and ordered the parts that were listed in the message that I found on this website. Took my MDX in and anxiously awaited for the problem to be fixed. Acura calls me and tells me that they cant fix it because corporate wont cover the parts under warranty. They said they are coming out with a TSB that will cover it. (apparently another TSB). GRRRR Im quite frusterated. Any one else been told this? Thanks for you help

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd tell thm that I'll start taking all my business to another dealer - and if they don't fix it -- do that. My dealer took care of the seat rail and rented me a car for 5 days while the part was on order.

Tell them you consider it a safety issue - if the seat comes dislocated during an accident and causes death or injury - you'll hold them liable.

Regards.

Rail

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I don't get this. So are they saying that if there is no bulletin on this, they can't fix it???

BTW, I checked, and there isn't a bulletin on that. But that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Local dealer fixed mine

I took my 'X into my dealer (Mac Churchhill in Fort Worth) and complained about the seat shifting slightly during turns. He said there was a TSB and they replaced the rails. They provided a loaner for the two days while waiting on parts.

Wade

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: Local dealer fixed mine

wamiller said:
I took my 'X into my dealer (Mac Churchhill in Fort Worth) and complained about the seat shifting slightly during turns. He said there was a TSB and they replaced the rails. They provided a loaner for the two days while waiting on parts.

Wade
Ahhh! Another siting of the elusive seat shift TSB --- I still don't believe it exists! If it does exists, I'd sure like to see it or get the Acura reference number for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seat Movement TSB

NHTSA reports the following:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: ACURA TRUCK
Model: MDX
Year: 2001
Service Bulletin Number: 301001
Bulletin Sequence Number: 626

Summary Description:
CONCERNS WITH DRIVERS SEAT EXPERIENCING EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT.*JB

More info @ http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: Seat Movement TSB

NHTSA reports the following:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: ACURA TRUCK
Model: MDX
Year: 2001
Service Bulletin Number: 301001
Bulletin Sequence Number: 626

Summary Description:
CONCERNS WITH DRIVERS SEAT EXPERIENCING EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT.*JB

More info @ http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
I'm aware of this (mis)info --- can you verify that the TSB exists? Have you actually seen it? If so, what's the Acura reference number and where is the text of the TSB?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
The numbers they provide aren't Acura or Honda bulletin numbers. They had a bulletin for the CL for the same reason a few years ago though.

Bulletin or not, why wouldn't they repair it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same problem, took it to my dealer complained about it 3 times and each time they "retorqed the seat" it worked for a day then came back. The last time I talked to the manager, showed him then we go out to checked a couple other MDX's and they had play on the tracks but not as bad as mine. So he told me he doesn't see the problem but if it gets worse bring it back. Bring it back!! I have been there 3 times for this I told him I feel this is a safty issue here the seat is NOT suppose to move side to side when I drive.

So next week I bring it to another dealer show them the same thing, they decided to look further and found that the railing was bent "probably from production line" is what they figured and orded a new track. Fixed by the next week.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
There is no TSB for the MDX seat track. This is not an easy thing to get fixed. We can prove a customer wrong that this is a problem by going up to the sales line and checking the play on brand new ones and finding that it's about the same.

Granted, some are worse than others, but what would be solved by putting another seat frame in? The play is desinged in to it, so the new one would shift around too. We have replaced a few, but it's really clearly stated that if you're expecting it to be rock solid, it isn't going to happen.

Rob

·
275 Posts
Oh no...don't get me wrong, they have failed. We've replaced seat frames for that reason, when they make noise. But we still tell people it's going to move.

I had to go for a ride with a guy the other week who said it made noise, which I couldn't duplicate. It felt the same compared to others as far as play. When he came to pick it up, I went for a ride with him and said that he'd been in before for the same thing, so I went in the MDX with him and had him drive it. And of course, it was quiet. So I told him that there's nothing we can do until we can verify the complaint.

So to all you who have been having trouble getting it fixed, when describing a problem, you should be as specific as you can. Painfully specific. If it only makes a noise around a right turn with the wheel 1/4 turned going 13mph in the morning, you better make sure that the advisor puts it on the repair order, otherwise all I get is "Seat makes noise on turns. Inspect and report." I only have time to drive it for maybe 5-10 minutes before I have to abandon the diagnosis. If we can't verify a problem, we can't put any time into fixing it.

Ro

·
Registered
671 Posts
So here's the reason that the seat rail problem doesn't get fixed --- which is obvious by some of these recent posts in this thread --- the mechanic has no idea what you're talking about! He thinks he knows so he stops listening to you and tries to explain why you're wrong! Go to another dealership and file a complaint about the first one if this happens. Or go back to the same dealership and let the owner know what's happening in the service area. Don't let them convince you that you don't have a problem just because they are too lazy to figure it out or too close-minded to listen to you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
TheRobSJ said:
There is no TSB for the MDX seat track. This is not an easy thing to get fixed. We can prove a customer wrong that this is a problem by going up to the sales line and checking the play on brand new ones and finding that it's about the same.

Granted, some are worse than others, but what would be solved by putting another seat frame in? The play is desinged in to it, so the new one would shift around too. We have replaced a few, but it's really clearly stated that if you're expecting it to be rock solid, it isn't going to happen.

Rob
Hey Rob-

First post of yours I've spied.

I think folks missed the perspective you bring- althought the second post helped.

Essentially owners need to understand the 'system' and to play within the system. Your point that if a problem is a matter of 'degree' (some units have more play, shimmy, rattle, nise, slop, whatever... than others) then it will be hard to convince a dealer to 'got to bat' with Acura corporate over the fix.

Last thing the dealer wants is to eat a warranty claim after the fact.

Ard

·
Registered
54 Posts
We can prove a customer wrong that this is a problem by going up to the sales line and checking the play on brand new ones and finding that it's
That is what my first dealer did a couple of times, but they were willing to fix it if it got worse. The second dealer didn't see the problem on any of the units on there lot so they went the next step and took the seat out to find out the rail was bent. Now my seat is "rock solid".

TheRobSJ, how do you like the SP2? Ever go up to Alice's or Mines for some twisties?

·
275 Posts
The 51 is a little heavy, but compared to the Blackbird I had before, feels like what it is...a race-rep. I don't care if it's no Gixxer 1000, I love the sound and feel of a V-twin. Couldn't live with paying close to 20k for a Duck with questionable reliability and insane parts and service price.

Mines is my favorite because there's not alot of traffic on it compared to 84 or 9.

Rob

·
Registered
54 Posts
I almost got the sp2, but couldn't find one. Mines is fun except for the gravel pits. PM me some time we can go on a ride, I usually ride with a pack from 5-50 bikes.

mike

·
275 Posts
Yeah, the crap on the road on the Hamilton side, and all the patchwork on the Mines side near the mountain has really made Mines not as fun anymore, but it's still good.

You couldn't find an SP2? Where did you look? Or more like when. The thing was late coming out. I got it a week after the dealer got it in, and that was at the end of April.

Next year will be a big year for bikes though. A new Ducati. Lot's of new sportbikes from Japan. But probably nothing that'll make me run down to trade in.

Rob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lots of cool bikes next year from all the sneak peeks, but I have always had a inline I want'ed a change, now I am hooked on twins. I may get a inline for the track or a 2 stroker:2:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hey guys ... start a new thread !! ... I was sorta lookin for info on the seat problems ... Oh well, enjoy the bikes

1 - 20 of 53 Posts