Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help and advice.

I have a 2002 MXD with the Touring package. I've programmed the Driving Position Memory System for two different position. Memory button 1 adjusts the seat for my wife, memory button 2 adjusts the seat for me.

It's my understanding from the dealer demo and from reading the operators manual (page 108) that when the door is unlocked the seat can be adjusted by pressing one of the memory buttons. Right?

My experience is that when I unlock the drivers door with either the key or remote transmitted, neither memory button will work, neither of the green LEDs are lit; transmission is in park, parking brake is set (on). The only way to move the seat is to use the adjustment on the side of the seat. After the seat moves about an inch, the LED on the memory button lights up and the seats can then be adjusted with one of the memory buttons.

I'm thinking my Memory System is broken. Comments?

Also, if after locking the MDX I unlock it within 2 or 3 minutes the Memory System buttons work as I understood they should. As soon as the door is opened one of the LEDs is lighted and the unlighted button can be pressed to move the seat to that bottons positon. But, if I wait more than 5 to 10 minutes to unlock the door, neither LED is lit and the seat will not move when either button is pressed. Advice?

I hope this message is understandable.

Thanks for any insights you may have...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
AG02MDX,

Sounds broke to me. Ours seems to work (but the beeping doesn't work the way the manual says it should).

Additionally, seat should auto position when unlocking using the remote (postion-1 for remote 1 and postion-2 for remote 2).

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Make sure your remote is LINKED with the memory. If it is not LINKED, it will not work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what you mean by "LINKED"? However this problem happens whether or not the remote is used to unlock the door. The problem happens when the key is used.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You should have 2 remotes that are numbered 1 and 2. # 1 remote will set the drivers seat and mirrors to # 1 memory position when you unlock the doors with the remote and likewise #2 remote will set them to the #2 memory settings

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
For my understand, memory seats only can LINKED with the remotes, not the KEY. You could ENABLE or DISABLE the linked between the memory system and the remotes.

Once you enable the link, when you use remote #2, the seat will adjust to position #2. So when you use remote #1, the seat will adjust to position #1. If you disable the link, when you use remote #2, it seat stays where it is, it doesn't move, doesn't matter it is in position #1, #2, or somewhere else.

Regardless, the seat position does not automatic adjust if you open your door with KEY. Unless I misunderstand. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Also forgot one part, the memory seat will not function whenever the car is in motion. :1:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
JTM ... A correction (I think). I believe that the "memory buttons" will not function unless the X is in Park. If I am not mistaken, stationary or not, the memory functions are disabled in all other gears.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Oops... I guess I will check that today.

I remembered I was able to adjust the seat, stored into memory, and use it when I was stop at the traffic light / stop sign while it is in the 5th gear.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
JTM said:
Oops... I guess I will check that today.

I remembered I was able to adjust the seat, stored into memory, and use it when I was stop at the traffic light / stop sign while it is in the 5th gear.
I've done the same, JTM. It seems it adjusted back when I hit the memory button while waiting at a stop, in Drive.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Here's what the 02 Manual says:

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
From reading the original post, I could not tell if the remote (key) transmitter was "linked" per instructions on page 87 of the 2002 owner's manual. That needs to be done if you are talking about using the remote to activate the memory position as you unlock the door.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm the one that posted the original questions/problem.

It's my impression that when the MDX is in park and the left (driver's) door is open the memory seat switches should be usable regardless of whether or not the door was unlocked and opened with the remotes or the key or just opened (never locked). (Assuming the memory seat switched have been programmed.)

About 50% of the time when the door is opened the LED on one of the two switches is on. In that case, pressing the switch that has the unlighted LED results in the seat moving to that preprogrammed possition for that switch.

The problem is that about 50% of the time when the door is opened neither LED is lighted and nothing happens when either switch is pressed. I have to move the seat with the switches on the side of the seat. The memory seat options seems to activate at different time; sometimes after the the MDX is started, some time it activates after moving the seat with the "manual" switches.

Any ideas. I'm thinking this intermittent problem is one the dealer need to solve. I hate intermittent problems, they never happen when the dealery is watching.

Suggestions or ideas would be very welcomed.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
AG02MDX,

I just tested our 02 MDX so this IS REAL, not opinion. The driver seat worked exactly like I thought it should:

Basic Notes:
=========================================
** MDX was parked in the garage, unlocked.

** MDX was off, no key in ignition.

If The Seat was Positioned at 1 of the 2 Programmed Spots:
** When the driver door is opened, the appropriate seat position light is lit.

** The seat can be moved to the other programmed spot by simply pressing the proper memory button (e.g. if at postion-1, press the position-2 button).

** The seat can be moved manually (using the power seat switch on the side of the seat).

If The Seat was NOT Positioned at 1 of the 2 Programmed Spots:
** When the driver door is opened, neither memory light is lit (makes sense since the seat is not at one of the programmed locations).

** The seat can be moved to either of the programmed locations by simply pressing the desired memory button.

** The seat can be moved manually (using the power seat switch on the side of the seat).

Conclusions:
** A memory seat position light will not be lit UNLESS the seat is postioned at 1 of the 2 programmed locations.

** Whether lit or not, the seat should behave as I have described above.

** If your operation is not consistent, then I believe that your X is broke!!

I sure hope this helps ... Steven

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
More Testing

AG02MDX,

After re-reading this thread, I elected to do another test to see if I can assist. Others (JTM and DaleB) have stated that they could use the Seat Memory Buttons with the engine running, the MDX in gear, with the vehicle NOT moving (e.g. while stopped at a light, etc.). I tested our 02 MDX with the engine running, parked in the garage. Again, the function is what I expected:

** If the MDX is in gear, the memory buttons do NOTHING, they are disabled. Evidentally, there is an interlock that disables the Memory Seat buttons if the MDX is not in park.

** The seat can be moved manually (using the switches on the side of the seat) at any time.

Again, I hope this is usefull info.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The seat memory system (DPMS in Acuraspeak) has a built-in error code program. Just like the codes the engine throws when something's wrong, your dealer should be able to determine what & where the problem is.

Sorry, our service manual isn't handy @ my side right now. Maybe someone with one nearby can post the procedure for troubleshooting. It starts w/holding the MEM, POS1 and POS2 buttons @ the same time for 3 seconds...then you'll get blink codes indicated trouble spots, if any.

As I recall, all of the trouble codes were part-related, which means you're headed to the dealer...but at least you might be able to get a code for them in the event it can't be duplicated when you're there -- and hope they'll trust your diagnosis :)

I'll grab the manual later if no one posts the diag procedure in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Turn off ignition.
Move the seat manually to a non-memorized position.
Hold down the MEM, 1, and 2 buttons @ the same time.
Turn the key ON (to position 2), wait >=1 second, then release the MEM/1/2 buttons.

After 1 second, you'll get a trouble code via the flashing lights on the 1&2 buttons, if there is a code. It'll be long flash(es) followed by short flash(es).

Report back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First, thank you very much for taking time to consider my problem.

I entered the "code" 7 times.

Four times the LEDs on the 1 & 2 buttons responded with three long flashes and one short flash.

Two times the buttons responded with on long flash.

Once there was no flash.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
According to the codes:

No blinks = that outcome isn't listed in the service manual.

One blink = no problem according to the internal stuff. Memory probably would've worked in those instances (hence your intermittent problem).

Three longs + 1 short = faulty power seat adjustment switch or faulty power seat control unit.

There are PAGES of troubleshooting, mostly probing to find opens, defective connections, or defective units. In all honesty, it isn't difficult BUT you should have the dealer handle it, since in all likelihood I would guess you'll end up with a new part (finding opens or bad grounds in wiring would be very unusual IMO).

Since you were able to get the trouble codes so easily, your dealer should be able to as well :) Let us know!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Oh, BTW, I doubt they'll even bother with the pages of troubleshooting to find opens/bad grounds, etc. Easier and quicker to just swap the parts (basically switches or control boxes).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts