Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEED SOME HONEST REPLIES ON SEAT COMFORT. ORDER 2002 REDROCK PEARL . I HAVE A REAL CONCERN THAT SEATS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SHOULD BE ON A LUXURY SUV.

·
Registered
608 Posts
GRASSHOPPER said:
NEED SOME HONEST REPLIES ON SEAT COMFORT. ORDER 2002 REDROCK PEARL . I HAVE A REAL CONCERN THAT SEATS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SHOULD BE ON A LUXURY SUV.
I have 12,000km on the vehicle and have taken long highway trips, and am very satisfied with the seats. I've had tall adults (6'3") in the middle row for 3-hour+ trips, and they gave the seats a thumbs-up. My only complaint is that the driver headrest cannot be moved to a more perpendicular position without the rest of the seat being tilted too far forward.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
i had problems the first couple of weeks, but now i'm fine. I do agree that better/more advanced seats should be found on a modern vechicle, but it seems like only Volvo and Saab care about building really nice and safe seats.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love mine too.........

It sounds like Pierre and I have a lot in common:

1) Live in Calgary
2) Have 12,000 km on our MDX
3) Often drive 3+ hours (Windermere Valley?)
4) Love our seats.

I still don't get those posts complaining about the perforated leather- What's not to like???? They're great!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: I love mine too.........

Chuck540Z3 said:
I still don't get those posts complaining about the perforated leather- What's not to like???? They're great!
I love my seat. No complaint here, but I am of small stature and have driven 800 miles roundtrip twice.

BTW, if I remember correctly, other car manufacturer like MB charge extra for perforated leather so what is the gripe :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been on a few 12 hour drives and I have no complaints about the seats. I've found them to be great. Ive found that the overall adjustability of the seats to be good enough to find a comfortable driving position to withstand the long drives.

But, if its a real concern of yours the seats are not what they should be on a luxury vehicle, might be best to keep looking.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I just took 2 - 4 hour trips in the last 4 days in my 1 week old MDX. The seats are very comfortable - in fact I never had to adjust them at all & I have a bad back. I can never stay comfortable for long in my RX - my back aches all the time and I am constantly adjusting the seats- but I had no probs in the MDX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pierre & Chuck

What a coincidence:

I'm in Calgary!
Have 12,000 KM's on the MDX!
Have absolutely no complaints about the seats!

Recently did a 3200 km trip to Vancouver & back home south through Mt. Rainier through to Yakima Valley & up through Glacier National Park all within 1 week. I'm 5'2"(and a bit) & the significant other is 6' & believe me the seats are the most comfortable that I've ever owned. In fact, the last few mornings the heated seats have come in handy on the way to work.

Planning a trip to Zion National Park in Utah next spring & looking forward to a great drive!

·
Registered
619 Posts
seats are pretty good.

My only complaint is that the lumbar support is in the wrong place. It supports your thoracic spine, instead of the lumbar spine. I would recommend that u not use it and u will notice less aches and pains.:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
My two reference cars for comparing the seats are Acura Integra and the ML320. Because both the Integra and MDX have stiff seats, I just assumed that all Acura cars have stiff seats that you can feel the bumps and rocks on the road. In comparing the comfort to the ML320, both feel about the same in the front as far as comfort of the actual seat.

Little things to think about in a comfortable seat of a luxury SUV (MDX vs. ML320):
1. The dead pedal area. I'm 5'7" and having some discomfort with where to put my left foot in the MDX.
2. I like the height on the MDX's center console, it matches the height on the door rest and acts almost like an armrest. In the ML320, there is nothing to support your right arm because the center console is too low... Can you say "scoliosis?"
3. This falls under ergonomics but the overhead sunglass compartment and coin tray make the MDX superior to the ML320 in comfort seating. At a drive thru, I don't have unbuckle and straighten to put change back in my pocket
4. As for second row seat comparison, the actual seat part is shorter on the MDX, the longer seats on the ML320 do make the rear seats much more comfortable. The MDX seats also are lower to the floor too. Another little side note on the rear seats is that on the ML320 the rear headrest blocks much of the rear view through the mirror whereas in the MDX, it is minimal.
5.I'm not a leather expert so I don't know how to compare grade of leather except to say that I've read somewhere that the leather on the ML320 is suppose to be better, but IMO, the leather on the MDX feels more like leather, particularly the steering wheel leather. On the ML320, the steering wheel leather feels just like the dash board...
6.Ive read that the natural oxidation of leather fogs up the windows but something has been done to the in the MDX that keeps the windows from fogging up. I can say from experience during this past month that the ML320 has had much more use of the front and rear defrosters than the MDX.
7.And finally, it's probably not the just the seats themselves but overall, when I'm driving the ML320, I get the feeling that I'm in a SUV, but in the MDX, I feel like I'm in a high sedan... Also, even though the seats are stiffer in the MDX (perhaps it's the suspension?), there seems to be more head movement in the ML320 whereas the MDX is quite steady when driving on the freeway.

Sorry for the long response, too much time.... Ive had a big thanksgiving dinner and all the stores are closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts