Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Rate The MDX Seat Comfort, 1 - 5

• 5. Excellent, Love Seats Like They Are.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • 4. Very Good, would be excellent with a minor changem

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • 3. Ok, A few minor changes would make them better.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • 2. Could be better, more than minor changes necessary.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • 1. Terrible, seats are some of the worst I have owned.

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a few recent postings about seat comfort/discomfort I thought it would be appropriate to do a "seat comfort poll".

I am 6' 2'" and find the seat comfort in the MDX to be excellent. My only complaint with comfort while in the drivers seat is with the steering wheel. I wish it could be telescoped to shorten the reach required when the seats are put back for proper leg room. I have made three long trips since owning my X and found the seats to be much more comfortable than any other vehicle I have ever owned.

My wife gives the seat a 4. She likes the comfort of the seat but wished that the back of the seat could be adjusted to be more vertical.

I realize that comfort for some may not be the same for others. If seat comfort is a problem for a high percentage of owners I hope that Acura is interested in this information and will make adjustments if necessary.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I just posted and rated "could be better" which is consistent with my other posts on this topic.

IMHO, Acura sure could learn a lot about seats from the American auto makers. There sure are a lot of "really comfortable seats" available out there, should not be rocket science. My opinion is not based on the seats in cheap cars, rather those found in $30,000+ American products.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very comfortable with the seats. Some minor changes would make them excellent. I am comparing them to seats in a bmw 540i and this is what is missing:
- Tilt adjustment for headrest
- Thigh support adjustment
- Telescoping steering wheel (not part of the seat, but adds more flexibility)

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife gives the seat a 4. She likes the comfort of the seat but wished that the back of the seat could be adjusted to be more vertical
I agree with your wife, but voted for a 2. I would think this would be easy to modify.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I gave them a "5" (excellent)......

.........based on several 5 to 10 minute test drives :D .......don't know if I should've done this, but what-the-heck, that was my "brief" impression!

By comparison TOYOTA makes some of the WORST SUV SEATS and their Bottom cushion is simply horrid - too short and lacks any kind of thigh support (seats are practically mounted on the floor :rolleyes: EVEN IN THE NEW 4RUNNER!! :28: )

I LIKE TO SIT HIGH OFF THE FLOOR, LIKE IN A CHAIR and that's why I like the MDX seats so much!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
The only thing I would like, is a lumbard support/adjustment for the passenger on the touring.

It always amazes me how car companies believe that front seat passengers don't want to be confortable.....:3:

·
Registered
671 Posts
My quick math on 11/10/02 says that 86% give the seats an 'okay' or better rating, proving once again that those who complain or have something to complain about are the ones who post threads (myself included). It gives the readers a bit of a misconception. This poll shows me that the majority like the seats, in fact over 50% gave them a 4 or 5 rating. [disclaimer]Just my .02[/disclaimer]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please wait to be seated...

Maybe PT Barnum was right that there's an ass for every seat. Here are my thoughts:

Based on my experience with the Highlander, and after owning a Taurus for 11 years, I like having comfortable armrests while I drive, especially on long hauls. My bench-seated Taurus has split, pull-down armrests for both driver and passenger that is just the right height for me. The Highlander has an armrest that folds down from the right side of the driver seat so you can use it or not. I found it quite comfortable; sort of like a captain's chair.

I would take a similar armrest in the MDX any day over the multi-use console in the X. I'm sure Acura put more than a bit of thought into its design so I won't be overly harse on it, but it doesn't work well as an aid to driver comfort. I find it hard, too high (I'm about 5' 9" and shrinking), and not far enough forward. Since just the tip of my elbow rests on it while I drove, it offers me no support at all and even hurts once in a while. In fact, the more you move the seat forward the less support you get since it's stationary. A seatback-attached armrest would move with the seat AND if it had a vertical adjustment it would be divine. However, the current design and bulk of the console prevents this feature from being incorporated into the seat.

Bottom line: give me whole body comfort, not just thigh, torso, leg comfort. And does anybody know if armrest is one word or two?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Lugnut,

I think that armrest is indeed 1 word.

Additonally, I think bringing the armrests into the picture of seat comfort is very appropriate IMHO.

I have a problem with the left armrest when sitting in the driver seat (e.g. the one built into the driver door panel). Acura positioned the seat quite far from the driver door. I can't use the left armrest (simply too far away) and I really do miss this. Maybe I've got arms that are too short, thus I'm the problem? Does anyone else have a problem with the left armrest?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Motor Trend" Review: They Liked The Seats

srpbep said:
Does anyone else have a problem with the left armrest?
No problem for me.

I just read the one year review of the 2001 MDX in "Motor Trends" December issue. They basically loved the MDX however they had issues with:

1. Frustrating HVAC controls.
2. Plasticky plastic wood.
3. Third row only fit for kids.

In the article concerning the seats:

"But everyone liked the supportive seats, as noted on one staffer's quick trip to Sedona:" "My back felt like it had been behind the wheel for a brief period of time, not all day."

My feelings exactly (concerning the seats)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Srpbep,

I know what you mean by the door armrest. It ain't perfect either.

I guess what I'm after is symmetry now that I think about it. I want to have my arms supported underneath so that my hands can grasp the wheel evenly in about the four and eight o'clock positions. I can do this in other cars, but not the MDX. I know, I know, the best position from a vehicle control standpoint is ten and two o'clock, but it least I use two hands! :8:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I gave the seats a 5.

As is often the case with this site, the information I get here is a double-edged sword. I didn't miss good armrests until you guys pointed out the lack. Thanks a bunch. :)

For me, the biggest comfort improvement would be a telescoping steering wheel. Positioning the seat forward enough to give good comfort to my arms, I get my legs too close to the pedals...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts