Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seat seems to click when turning - in fact I can make it click but only when turning at a fairly high speed. I can't shift my body around and make it click and it doesn't click when turning slowly. I thought it was the seat bottom, but tonight it seemed like it was the lower back section. I find it quite annoying. Anyone else experience this?

Guesses: (1) Something loose under the seat (but the seat seems to actually move to the side ever so slightly when turning hard) (2) Loose seat cushion (3) Loose seat mechanism (4) My imagination

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
There is a TSB for this. Check the knowledge base. "Seat rail moves during turns" or similar.

There's also another thread about a week old, also in the Problems forum...similar title.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To TheWorm (moderator)

I searched the knowledge base and found that you (I think) posted a TSB number for this problem, but I don't know how to find it - are the TSBs on-line?

Second, the only other thread with a similar title deals with a different problem - am I missing something or did you direct me to what you thought was a similar thread based only on the title?

I guess I'll just go back to the dealership and ask them.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
That particular TSB is not yet available online. It's the one mentioned in vip9's link (thanks, vip9!). Sorry for the bad directions (title) to that thread...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Worm,

regarding those "other" TSB....

Did you SEE them? Do you have them in your possession? When do you think you can have them up?

Sorry to appear pushy, it's just when I brought my car in today, yet another NEW service adviser seemed extremely surprised and annoyed when I told him that leacky mirrors and possibly MY CAR'S clicking seat are covered in Acura's TSBs. He told me not to believe stuff I read online, etc..... I had to use "ANOTHER REPUTABLE ACURA DEALER POSTS THEM ONLINE" leverage to have him actually put my complaints in the work order.

Despite obvious requisite to know about such TSBs due to his position, he appeared somewhat less informed than I hoped for :(
What else is new? :mad:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
vip9,

Any TSBs I've seen have been scanned and are online....so, I haven't seen the seat TSB (yet). :(

The NHTSA has a list of active TSBs for every car. Unfortunately, only the titles are available, but it does provide a reasonable-enough description along with the TSB# for the dealer to look it up on their Acura computer: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/service1.cfm?SearchTopic=Vehicle

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info, guys! I'll stop by the dealer on Friday to see if the 'fess up to it - I'll mention the TSB 301001 and see if they look it up. I'll report back anything of interest. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stopped at the dealership today, and not only could they not find the TSB 301001, they said that they had never even heard of it. The printout they showed me had a different numbering system (e.g. 03-222) Is there some 'universal' numbering system that I need, or should they have access to it using the number I gave them? Also, they ran a search for all issues dealing with MDX seats, and there was nothing about this situation. What's going on?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I dunno what to tell u. Like I said, I haven't seen the bulletin...it's listed on the NHTSA site. Usually, the first 2 numbers represent the year in which the bulletin is issued, but there are exceptions (don't know why). It could have been a very brief blurb in their Service News rather than a full-blown TSB.

Nonetheless, like Rail sez, there doesn't need to be a bulletin to fix something that's broke.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mean to insinuate that they wouldn't fix it - they would be more than happy to fix it! I just thought it would be interesting to see the TSB to see if the symptoms described in the TSB are the same ones my MDX has. I also thought it'd be interesting to find out if Acura dealers have been aware of this problem since October, 2001 and was wondering why they continue to build the vehicle with this defect. I printed the page from the NHTSA site that describes the TSB and I'll bring it to them on Monday.

I really don't see this as an emergency - it doesn't seem like a safety issue (ok, I'm ducking, stop throwing stuff at me, I know a loose seat could be a safety issue, but I am choosing to minimize it's danger at this point!).

As usual, I'll report back with anything interesting.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Had the same problem

I had the same problem -- driver's seat seemed to shift when making 90 degree right turns. Also, if I hit the back of the driver's seat, i moved much more than if I hit the passenger's seat. Anyway, the replaced the lower seat rail, and everything seems nice and tight now....

Just get it done...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will get it done, but in the mean time I am trying to get to the bottom of this "TSB Mystery" - the NHTSA site lists a TBS which is summarized as "concerns with drivers seat experiencing excessive movement." This summarizes my concern as well! However, nobody seems to have seen this TSB - not my Acura dealer (sales, service, or parts), nobody on this forum has seen it, and I even called Acura and they have never heard of it.

What gives? Is the information on the NHTSA site reliable? Who are they and what can I do short of paying for a copy of what they claim to be the mystery TSB? Any suggestions?

I love a good mystery!

·
Registered
594 Posts
You're right

You're right -- I'm not sure that there actually is a TSB for it. My dealer diagnosed it and actually replaced the same exact parts that are listed in the Knowledge base on this site. I'm not sure there is an actual MDX TSB for it. I spoke to my dealer about it and they said it was something that used to happen occasionally on the CLs, so maybe it is just something that occasionally happens on some cars.

By the way, I hope you don't think that I was being rude by telling you to just get it done. That was not how I meant to communicate that. I only meant that I would just try to demonstrate the loose seat to the dealer and have them fix it, because it definitely resolved the problem 100%.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I'll relay the 'CL' info to my service guy and see what he says.

BTW, davegood, I never thought you were being rude - good advice is never rude, especially when it's invited. I appreciate all the info I get on any topic. Thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts