• Other

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I can get everyone to help me with a bit of research. What search engines do you most frequently use? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Tim,

I think its a portion of the search engine but mostly how you search IE: your search words or phrases.

TECK!

·
Registered
241 Posts
MetaCrawler

I use Google now, but for a l-o-n-g time, I was hooked on MetaCrawler. It's still quite good, my second choice after Google, and considerably better than may of the other choices in the poll.

--Marne

·
Registered
266 Posts
GOOOOOOGLE by far! With the plug-in even easier...but you should clear your search history often. I have ran into some weird, freakish things if I don't (unrelated topics, etc). I used to use AltaVista and occasionally I would use IE and type my words or phrases on the URL bar.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I used to use HotBot almost ...

... exclusively until I discovered Google.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Maybe I should switch...

to GOOGLE . I always used yahoo. I tried webcrawler and some of the others, but yahoo always worked for me. What makes GOOGLE so great?

Lmeans

P.S. I'm not trying to sound like a smart alec. I'm really curious.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Are you feeling lucky?

Google uses a much more sophisticated indexing and search system, heavily focused on results - I could give a more technical explanation if I understood more about it :).

The other nice thing is that they are completely banner-free - the input interface has 3 fields: a text entry box, a search feild and an "I'm feeling lucky" link - a fun way to play the search lottery.

Check 'em out at www.google.com

Another useful site is AskJeeves, which uses a natural language text interface - you can ask it "Where can I find replacement bolts for my Manik sidesteps?" (Answer: Call Tim at www.hondacuraworld.com) and it will usually find you an answer.

·
Registered
925 Posts
GOOGLE!

Google, great, simple, fast. Tell me how to get the plug in.....

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Teck High 5 To Robyjo ( ^5 ) :D

Do your own trial .. Pick a search word and type it in .. after you use your search engine go to the bottom of the screen and choose the competition. ( Most are linked together anyway ). Please post your results and opinions.

I will agree that the pop up ad's are a pain in the ____. But like junk Email .. Ya just hit the X or delete. If Its helping the advertising economy for me to hit the X well I'll do my share :p

TECK!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Try this

I've been using this great little free application called 'PopUp Killer' for a couple of weeks -- it 'squishes' popups. I love it. You just have to set up some sites (lie this one) in your exclusion list so that it doesn't kill the popups from this site. Check it out....

http://netscape.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,41154,00.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tim,

I've been using Copernic for several years now. It accesses many search engines including the popular google.

A free version can be downloaded @ www.copernic.com

• Obtain relevant, high quality results... fast
• Access 80 search engines all in one instance!
• Filter out irrelevant information and broken links
• Preview document
• Instant Web page translation in 7 languages

I've attached a file that was generated by copernic.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
Re: Maybe I should switch...

lmeans said:
.... What makes GOOGLE so great?...

"Googol" is the mathematical term for a 1 followed by 100 zeros. It's a very large number.

The software behind Google's search technology conducts a series of simultaneous calculations requiring only a fraction of a second. Traditional search engines rely heavily on how often a word appears on a web page. Google uses PageRank™ to examine the entire link structure of the web and determine which pages are most important. It then conducts hypertext-matching analysis to determine which pages are relevant to the specific search being conducted. By combining overall importance and query-specific relevance, Google is able to put the most relevant and reliable results first.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
google change the search engine in IE...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts