Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a "success" adding Seafoam before an oil change with my 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i. The engine ran noticeably smoother (while Seafoam in the engine mostly due to Seafoam thinning the oil I think) and changed my oil after 200 miles so. The oil looked a bit darker (I usually change around 6K for my Subaru) and drained longer than usual (e.g., 15-20 mins vs. 30+ mins).

Now thinking about doing the same with my wife's 2014 MDX. Except for once, I did DIY oil changes with 100% synthetic (not blended) around 10-20% maintenance reminder. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Personally I think its snake oil. Modern engine oils are pretty loaded up with additives already. Adding something else is not a good ldea IMHO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used seafoam treatment on a 20 yr old MB once, felt some performance boost. Not sure how much of performance boost I got, maybe the boost was mostly in my head, idunno.

I would only try seafoam treatment if I had some lagging problem, but would never bother with 5 yr/65,000 mile old MDX.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would never put something like seafoam into a modern engine crankcase. If you had a 30 year old car or mower that had really nasty oil and had not been maintained, I might change it and the filter, add a little seafoam, ATF, or rislone and run for 10 minutes at a low idle, then change the oil and filter twice again. (And pray) Top cylinder additives to the gas to remove carbon maybe like BGK44 or Techroline but not seafoam. The GM product designed to get rid of carbon works well too but it creates a HUGE smelly cloud so if you have EPA friendly neighbors they will call the police on you. Stinks to high heaven too. Whatever don't do it on a day with no wind.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ran 1000miles with Seafoam through my J37 when I got my MDX..
The seafoam stuff is oil based so it wont hurt a thing running that all your oil change cycle, It will clear out sludge and carbon deposits with ease. But you only need to use it once to clear old deposits from the previous owner, If you are the single owner and have kept the MDX happy with on time oil changes the seafoam wont do anything for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have used Seafoam for many years as a gas addiditive in high mileage vehicles. While I don't have empirical evidence of any great help, the engines have run smoothly andd I have had no issues. The only high mileage vehicle I currently have is my truck with 198k, but I use a couple of cans (35 gal gas tank) of Seafoam every 5k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts