Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Sea Foam!

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TexasHonda 
#1 ·
Anyone use it? Recommend it? Just as a fuel additive...

Turboflyer1

#2 ·
I have used it for several years, generally in older vehicles. and have had no issues in those vehicles. While I can't guarantee that no issues are the result of using Seafom, it has not hurt.

I can say for a fact that it works great in a two stroke outboard motor to clean carbs resulting in a noticeably smoother running engine.

If you use it in an older vehicle/motor I would recommend two cans of Seafom the first use, then one can every 5,000 miles or so.

#3 ·
+1, I used to frequent the volvo forum. Lots of members there swear by it, however they were mostly cars with 100k+ miles. For older cars, there is a clearer potential benefit when weighed againsed the risks of running it through your engine.

I was always a little leary of it when I heard about all the white smoke it caused the car to blow out during the cleaning process (when used directly through the intake hose), but as long as you know what to expect I'd go for it.

Couple of ways that it can be used, but I beleive the most beneficial is sucking in in through one of the air intake valves. I got someone who had done it before to help cause with my luck, I would have pulled the wrong hose (this was on a volvo). There were some uTube video's on it.

If you use it, let us know how it worked on the X.

BTW....if you are just dropping it in as a fuel additive, I've never heard anyone saying the benefits are that dramatic. I'm more familiar with Techron fuel additive, and never had any issues with them.

#7 ·
I've been on Acura forums for the last 15 years and that's a lot of posts I've read, so it's hard for me to pull an exact chapter and verse out.

But looking at it realistically, anything that gets shaken up has to get blown out the exhaust, therefore I'd wonder about potential effects to oxygen sensors and converters, especially on older vehicles where their effectiveness is diminished from age and use as it is.

#9 ·
Impressive smoke but trivial value.

See video series by ChrisFix on youtube regarding top engine cleaners.

This is a product driven by advertising and purchaser hope for an easy fix, not any concrete results.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.