Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man my arms are friggin tired from polishing my X yesterday. I think I need an electrical polisher/buffer.

I was kind of curious to find out if any one has tried the Black & Decker Scumbuster with a polishing pad as an Orbital buffer alternative. Don't want to sound cheap but you know the Scum Buster is very capable and I happen to use it for a whole bunch of things.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
MDroX said:
Man my arms are friggin tired from polishing my X yesterday. I think I need an electrical polisher/buffer.

I was kind of curious to find out if any one has tried the Black & Decker Scumbuster with a polishing pad as an Orbital buffer alternative. Don't want to sound cheap but you know the Scum Buster is very capable and I happen to use it for a whole bunch of things.
I have a scum buster and a Porter Cable variable speed orbital buffer and would NOT recommend the scum buster for polishing your car. It's not fast enough and the steady speed could seriously harm the finish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm not going to take any chances with my new X.
I just added another item to my holiday list.

cheers
MDroX

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Porter Cable works great with Zaino. My last ten coats were applied this way. Hopefully thirty coats will get me to Spring.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The Porter random orbital works great with carnauba waxes....Zaino is actually easier to apply and remove manually IMO, and you use much, much less product. The polishing pads available for the Porter soak up a lot of Zaino. I'd rather get it on my X, not the pad.

.75oz or so is sufficient for the whole X. With polymers, it's not like waxing shoes...where you gotta rub it in. The protection is based on the very high surface adhesion of the product and the cross-linking of multiple layers.

Lastly, buffing requires a lot of clean surface area on the part of the buffer. 100% cotton towels (I use about 3 face-cloth sized towels for each coat) is far superior than trying to buff out Zaino with a 6" orbital pad.

If you MUST use an electric buffer, Porter makes the best one on a ROI standpoint....and will not harm your paint due to the random nature of the buffing pattern...unlike the B/D.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts