Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe at work someone been scratching my MDX. Its literally impossible to go scratch my MDX in a closed garage at home. I notified both my higher managers about this and they looked at my car. I do know a full blown paint job is gonna cost $3k through the body shop that worked on her before. A vinyl wrap roll is ~$900 before taxes and shipping.

Its the hatch and rear right quarter panel that’s scratched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance AWD, Modern Steel/Silverstone
94 Posts
Get a front/rear dashcam with park mode and video that jerk in the act. File a police report and press charges.

Reactions: mdxstang

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance AWD, Modern Steel/Silverstone
94 Posts
That damage is probably covered under the Comprehensive coverage of your auto insurance policy, subject to a deductible.

Your employer and building management probably won't do anything about it.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a front/rear dashcam with park mode and video that jerk in the act. File a police report and press charges.
I need to hardwire my current one and then buy another one. At work I park her near the buildings exterior CCTV.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That damage is probably covered under the Comprehensive coverage of your auto insurance policy, subject to a deductible.

Your employer and building management probably won't do anything about it.
I don’t have comprehensive since Geico wanted to increase my premiums by a grand (USD).

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Do you think it's being done on purpose, like someone keyed it, or maybe accidentally, like they leaned up against it or opened a door into it (unlikely if it's the back hatch with the damage)? You can probably tell by the type of scratch - a keyed vehicle usually has a deep straight scratch whereas a leaner would be shallower non-straight scratches - more like scuff marks.

Start by parking in a different spot. Parking near the cctv likely won't be helpful because firstly, many of them don't work at all, secondly, many of them produce grainy video, and thirdly, some employers wouldn't let you access it.

And when you park make sure you don't park like an entitled dweeb and take up multiple spots in an area where others would like to park. I doubt you're doing this but I'm throwing it out there because people parking like that actually attract vandals.

I wouldn't fix the scratches right away (other than to make sure they don't rust if down to bare metal) without determining the cause of the scratches first. You'll really be unhappy if you pay a lot of money to have them fixed only to find a vandal hits it again soon after.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
My wife has the issue of a tight assigned parking spot in a garage at work. It is just everyone has a 4-door Ford/Dodge/Chevy truck that take up their entire parking space (most park half-ass because the vehicles are so long and it is a tight turn). It helps my wife is 4'11" to squeeze out the door and we have auto fold mirrors on our MDX and RLX.

Could the scratches come from folks exiting their vehicles loaded down with stuff and brushed against your MDX?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are some of the scratches. Apparently the Acura dealership (yeah, work is literally like 1/2 mile to a mile far from the place) said they will fix it, and buffed it out for free. She’s back to perfect. Sucks that I can’t bring nice things to work anymore.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was not nice, like other said, you should consider a 2 channel dash cam, one faces front, and one faces back, just like the one use on Uber.

View attachment 121281
Already have one installed. Just haven’t gotten around to hardwiring or fuse tapping it to the vehicle. Right now, I got some other things to deal with (TB and Brakes).

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I wrapped my wife's RLX in XPel Ultimate PPF because of her tight parking situation. It has self healing properties in the sun with scratches. You would just have to leave your MDX in the sun and those scratches would disappear.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My MDX is literally parked in the sun all day during work and is a human oven by the time I leave work. But currently, hogs up the entire garage.

I'm looking at options. There's already one layer of ceramic coating. I can add a PPF or PPS, or wrap the entire vehicle in a different color.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I've been told you can add ceramic coating on PPF; but, you can't add PPF on top of ceramic coating. My MDX is Suntek PPF from the hood forward, rear bumper, side mirrors, and ceramic coating everywhere else. I really like my CQquatz Finest ceramic coating. It is a PITA to keep pristine because you need to use damp to wet microfiber everything if you touch the surface to wash or spot clean (keep a spray bottle with ceramic soap and microfiber for bird droppings or bug guts). Anything dry rubbed against the ceramic coating WILL scratch it way more than the regular clear coat.

I would check with the installers that do PPF or wrapping since most use water/soap to activate the film and ceramic coating is hydrophobic and repels water and it might keep the film from curing properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts