Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone really take a good look at the plastic or plexiglass covering the tachometer, speedometer, and gas gauges? I notice that on the bottom fifth of the glass, there seems to be small scratches on the inside of the plastic/glass. It is really noticeable when the sun hits it at an angle. Does any one else have these scratches, or are your coverings totally smooth?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Knowledge is a two-edged sword. I notice more about my 'X, both the good (lots!) and the bad (just a couple of things), because this site makes me more knowledgeable.:4:

I'll look at mine in a few minutes and let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: scratches on instrument panel

jhette said:
Yes I have the same, since new. Use plastic polish to remove them.

Cheers,
J
What's the name of the plastic polish and what company makes it? I would like to consider buying in the states!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Plastic polish won't remove scratches from the inside of the window, only replacing it will take care of the problem. Get your dealer to replace it for you - should be a warranty item unless they (1) are pricks, or (2) think you removed, scratched, and replaced it!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Warranty for "apperance" item???

AcuraMDX2002 said:
Plastic polish won't remove scratches from the inside of the window, only replacing it will take care of the problem. Get your dealer to replace it for you - should be a warranty item unless they (1) are pricks, or (2) think you removed, scratched, and replaced it!
I don't think they HAVE to replace anything that is an appereance only thing -- in other words the warranty is for FUNCTION.

That said, if the QA people on the line screwed up and let a scratched instrument panel lense get sent out, I think that the dealer prep guys should've caught it. If it slipped past them, how'd the "owner's pre-signing walk though" miss it too?

Hope that somebody steps up...

BTW I previously posted info abouT Novus Plastic Polish & a competitor -- they will work, although you'd have alot of dash to take apart & reassemble...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: scratches on instrument panel

jhette said:
Yes I have the same, since new. Use plastic polish to remove them.

Cheers,
J
Checked today and mine is perfect, if it has scratches I would have the dealer replace the plastic. That should be no problem, remember the customer always comes first and is always right!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mea culpa - I put a couple of scratches on the plexiglass over my gauges. In a rush and used a harsh paper towel to clean them...

What's the best product to remedy this? Or will any "plastic polish"
do the job?

Also - any opinion on the best way to clean the plexiglass? I've heard some people never touch them - they use a very soft brush vac attachment.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MDXMom said:
Mea culpa - I put a couple of scratches on the plexiglass over my gauges. In a rush and used a harsh paper towel to clean them...

What's the best product to remedy this? Or will any "plastic polish"
do the job?

Also - any opinion on the best way to clean the plexiglass? I've heard some people never touch them - they use a very soft brush vac attachment.
Novus 1 and 2. Novus 2 will clean light scratches and swirls from plastic (like the plood as well). Novus 1 will keep it polished and glossy.
There is Novus 3 for deeper scratches too. Great product! Private pilots and maintenance techs will use it on instrumentation. I ordered mine from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty..

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catmain.php?dest=cathome.php

Cool website!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Even a soft vacuum brush can leave fine scratches. I have not tried the Novus products. but I'll see if they are available in my area. I have always wanted a product for this purpose. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you muchly - I'll try them!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
renov8r wrote:
... I think that the dealer prep guys should've caught it. If it slipped past them, how'd the "owner's pre-signing walk though" miss it too?
renov8r,

Re: Dealer Prep: I don't know what kind of dealer prep you have experienced, but catching little things is not likely in my experience. If the car was missing a bumper, that MIGHT be caught.

Re: Walk-Thru: IMHO, a lot of things get through walk thrus including fit and finish items. Most people don't get out the old microscope

Sooooo .... I would have been suprised if anyone found such a little problem until the owner noticed it .... and I'll bet the owner didn't catch it in the first couple of days!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
DaleB said:

Novus 1 and 2. Novus 2 will clean light scratches and swirls from plastic (like the plood as well). Novus 1 will keep it polished and glossy.
There is Novus 3 for deeper scratches too. Great product! Private pilots and maintenance techs will use it on instrumentation. I ordered mine from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty..

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catmain.php?dest=cathome.php

Cool website!
Thanks for the link on that website. I ordered the novus 1 & 2, and
also a glass cleaner that removed small scratches. It is a cool site. I'll let you know what I think of the product when I recieve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts